TnR

Sep 2, 2007
It's a different effect.

In Torn, a signed card is torn into four pieces. Then, the four pieces, one by one are fused, until it is fully restored. (Only the backs of the torn pieces are shown during the fusion.)

Whereas in TnR:
A card is shown, and torn into four pieces. Each piece is individually shown -- front AND back -- and then the restoration. It looks like each piece just melts together. Now for the kicker:

With no ditches, moves, or anything funky, the card is turned around to show that it has morphed into a completely different card.

Cheers,
JTM

oh ok...
so which would you guys suggest i get. It sounds like TnR is better. Yet the signed thing gets me...if thats what they get back. yet i see where the "only the back is shown" can come into play. Would i know how to do both with some thought by getting TnR?

if i spoiled anything accidently someone tell a moderator to delete this haha. :D

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
While In Sac, I was given an explanation of the effect (no not the secret just what the effect looks like) from Wayne Houchin. He said this;
"A chosen card (signed) is ripped into 4 pieces. Completely clean. 2 pieces are placed in between the lips, and the two remaining pieces are merely touched together and they fuse. No funny moves, nothing. Each piece is then restored in the same manner with no cover and funny moves. The kicker is when the card that has been in full view the entire restoration is found to be a completely different card."

Enough said. I'm buying this when it comes out. Also, Chris Kenner is teaching the effect, so this ought to be fun=).
//David.Misner::

While In Sac, I was given an explanation of the effect (no not the secret just what the effect looks like) from Wayne Houchin. He said this;
"A chosen card (signed) is ripped into 4 pieces. Completely clean. 2 pieces are placed in between the lips, and the two remaining pieces are merely touched together and they fuse. No funny moves, nothing. Each piece is then restored in the same manner with no cover and funny moves. The kicker is when the card that has been in full view the entire restoration is found to be a completely different card."

Enough said. I'm buying this when it comes out. Also, Chris Kenner is teaching the effect, so this ought to be fun=).
//David.Misner::

I speak to Mathieu from time to time, and this obviously cropped up. It CANNOT be signed and then changed into another card with the signature still on. Just wanted to clarify that

Yes but the original chosen card can be signed.

But...in my opinion, that really would give away the secret. A card which is signed, is ripped into four...then restored, but with no signature and a completely different card. That would just look like you switched it for a hidden one, they would want to know what the signature was for. Signature are put on cards to prove no duplicates or switches are used. If the signature went on the card after it changed, THEN they would believe you, but if not, they would have no reason to. I think if a card which is torn and restored is visual enough, then no signature should be required, as it will look, like you are restoring it. If there is a reason to suspect at any point that a switch could have taken place, then yes a signature is needed.

However, with this, it sounds clean enough that it doesnt need a signature, therefore a change at the end really would be the kicker!

Chris was saying that you can't have a spectator sign a 4 of Diamonds on the face of the card, do TnR and end up with the spectator's signature transferred to the face of a 7 of Spades (for example).

Chris was saying that you can't have a spectator sign a 4 of Diamonds on the face of the card, do TnR and end up with the spectator's signature transferred to the face of a 7 of Spades (for example).

Thanks to someone who understands. If this is as visual as it sounds, no signature will be required. Bits and Pieces by Gared Crawford doesn't use a signature, yet is the BEST and most Magical i have seen by far.

Agreed Christopher...too bad Gared won't release it!
Adam

It is a shame...i will say this again as i think it is an important thing to remember. Cards are signed primarily for one reason, to get rid of the thought of duplicates in a deck, because there is only one card which has their signature on, where they wrote it. If the effect is so clear, that only one card, and one card only is being used, and that there aren't duplicates etc, then there is no need for it to be signed. Like 'The signed card' by Bro John Hammann...there MUST be a signature for people to believe that the card which was on the table from the start, was their card.

In a torn and restored card, if you are so fair and open, like in Bits and pieces and Seamless, then there should be no reason for it to be signed...else you are just bringing in the factor that it could be switched if they don't sign it. Torn Asunder HAD to be signed. Why? A) Because it added fun due to the fact the card cost about $500,000 i think B) To show there were no duplicates of the card. However, Copperfields fingers always covered the restoration etc, so therefore it had to be signed to prove it was the same card. But if he was more open, there would be no need for it.

Ambitious card must be signed to eliminate the thought there could be more than one of the chosen card etc.

An effect like Triumph doesn't need to be signed, or even card under drink in my opinion. The fact is you are getting a card under a drink without beign seen, and it is the same as the selected card. If they believe the selection was free enough, and that it is the only one, then why should they think a duplicate could be involved.

A Cards to pocket, live Travlers should be signed, else they will always think duplicates are involved. I have always loved the Travelers plot, and due to my signing theory, i created a version which i believe is so clear and clean that there is no possibility of duplicates. Guy Hollingworth also has a lot of effects where cards DON'T need to be signed because the effect is so clear.

So, with Mathieus, there are two effects, a T & R, and a colour change. Because it is so clean and clear, there is no need to sign the card. Then the colour change becomes such a surprise, because they are so much in belief that there was only one card involved, that the card changing comes as such an amazing shock!

Lecture over...

Sep 1, 2007
I liked that lecture. Bits and Pieces is exactly how it would look if you were to really tear and restore a card. The card would need to be signed if it was performed for magicians, but laymen usually never sign cards or coins, so tearing the card and restoring it is what they would expect.

I liked that lecture. Bits and Pieces is exactly how it would look if you were to really tear and restore a card. The card would need to be signed if it was performed for magicians, but laymen usually never sign cards or coins, so tearing the card and restoring it is what they would expect.

Glad you liked it :)

However, in this case, i even think Magicians would look and say it is so clean it doesn't need signing. Perhaps to prove a point maybe, but i wouldn't say it is a must

Sep 1, 2007
A good torn and restored card trick where the card is signed would be Gared's Unripped. It's really a great trick.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results