Underground?

Underground or Not Underground

• Underground

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • not Underground

Votes: 29 61.7%

• Total voters
I have seen a couple posts recently about people saying "were not underground! what are you talking about!"

well, comparitivaly, we are:

Ellusionist Members: 73,243

Penguin magic posts in General and restaraunt forums: over 300,000 posts

us: 9,700 members

We look more underground than them.

Penguin has over 300,000 posts in 2 forums, and we don't even have that much, plus were down about 63,000 members.

So are we underground?

May 3, 2008
E and penguin have been around for almost 10 years. maybe more. Plus Guardians have been released in normal stores, so that definitely tarnishes our underground-ness.

Sep 1, 2007
yeah, I think theory11 should remove the "underground" part of the front page...because we're anything but underground.

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Although long, definitely take a look at this post - direct from JB, himself. He addresses this very question in the following quote:

For every member that says "theory11 is not really underground" - please go to a magic convention as a case study. If you haven't seen the surface, it is impossible to recognize the underground. There is an underground in this industry that defies the ordinary - both in psychology and aesthetic - and questions everything that has been done before - and this is it.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Being undeground doesnt have to be about fame.
In creativity,quality,and vision.T11 is the best.
Other companies just pour out effects over and over and they dont take the time that T11 does to help out beginners with the intro videos that we have here.
This crew gives more to us and you cant say they dont.
Just because theyve achieved commercial/mainstream success doesnt mean that they have lost they're undergroundness.
And Rairker cleared it up for me as well.

D

Deleted member 2755

Here is what I've gotta say... Who cares?:p Theory 11 has an awesome forum, great material for people in all magic/XCM ability, and has many of the top magicians alive a part of it. Who cares whether or not Theory 11 is "underground".

-Doug

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
I hear what you guys are all saying, but you all have some huge misconceptions about what "underground" means in the sense that Theory11 is using it.

It is a philosophy, an approach, a theory, and arguably a youthfully influenced style.

I don't even know where to begin on this... Look at JB and what he has said and done. I can honestly say that Theory11 is different. It stands out WAY above any other magic site out there. In fact, I would argue that the community they have allowed us to create is nothing less than an internet-based phenomenon. I enjoy checking this site 5+ times a day in hopes of a new news post or an interesting forum topic. This isn't just a 'magic site', and I believe that was the point. There is so much more than just products here. This is how a business and a community should be run -- it's not easy to tackle both of those things, especially with such elegance.

I still laugh every time JB does or says something funny. What other CEO of a massively successful company would be cool enough to goof around like that, making this place such a positive environment.

Raiker is great, Wayne is great, Dana is great, BJ is great (although invisible on here :p), Anrei is great, DM is great, DC is great, CK is great, Asher is great, Fisher is great, Tom is great, Bich is great, DW is great, Hauss is great, ....... damn it, they are all awesome, and they are providing us with the resources to make magic more incredible than I could have imagined.

At the end of the day, Underground or not, Theory11 means quality not quantity, respect for magic, and it holds a special place in me (and many of us).

Peace.

</rant>

-Tim

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I hear what you guys are all saying, but you all have some huge misconceptions about what "underground" means in the sense that Theory11 is using it.

It is a philosophy, an approach, a theory, and arguably a youthfully influenced style.

I don't even know where to begin on this... Look at JB and what he has said and done. I can honestly say that Theory11 is different. It stands out WAY above any other magic site out there. In fact, I would argue that the community they have allowed us to create is nothing less than an internet-based phenomenon. I enjoy checking this site 5+ times a day in hopes of a new news post or an interesting forum topic. This isn't just a 'magic site', and I believe that was the point. There is so much more than just products here. This is how a business and a community should be run -- it's not easy to tackle both of those things, especially with such elegance.

I still laugh every time JB does or says something funny. What other CEO of a massively successful company would be cool enough to goof around like that, making this place such a positive environment.

Raiker is great, Wayne is great, Dana is great, BJ is great (although invisible on here :p), Anrei is great, DM is great, DC is great, CK is great, Asher is great, Fisher is great, Tom is great, Bich is great, DW is great, Hauss is great, ....... damn it, they are all awesome, and they are providing us with the resources to make magic more incredible than I could have imagined.

At the end of the day, Underground or not, Theory11 means quality not quantity, respect for magic, and it holds a special place in me (and many of us).

Peace.

</rant>

-Tim
Thats wassup.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
So to classify someone as underground, they must not be known to the general public? That's ridiculous. That's like saying Dai Vernon is underground. People that don't do magic don't know who Dai Vernon is. They all say "Who is Dai Vernon?" By your definition, Dai Vernon is underground, LOL.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results