Variations on ACR

Feb 24, 2013
England
ACR (Ambitious card routine) has endless possibilities to it, and I'd like to know some of your favourites. I'm not asking you to reveal the trick -I want to make that very clear- but maybe post a link to the vid of someone performing (not revealing) it. Here is what I do.

Double lift and get spectator to sign card
"Lose the card"
Show it returning to the top
Victoria by Zach mueller (http://www.theory11.com/wire/zach-mueller/victoria/)
Show it returning to the top
Palm card and cut the cards to "lose the card"
Pretend to scratch my head , but I'm really sliding it up into my hat
Finish by showing it has travelled into my hat.

Your turn!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I don't often do ACR any more, but this is mine -

Riffle through the cards and spectator calls stop. I show the card for them to memorize, put the packets back together.
Tell them to visualize the card at the top of the deck, face up. Wave my hand over the deck and it's there.
Flip the card face down, put it sticking out at the bottom of the deck so I can fan a bit and show it distinctly at the bottom.
Push the card in, 'magic move', turn over the top card and show it's theirs.
Take the card face up and put it at the bottom of the deck. Fan a bit to show the cards over the selection.
Magic motion, the card is 1/3 the way up the deck. Quick fan display. Do it again, 2/3rds up the deck, fan display, do it again and the selection is the second card. Bring the deck up and rub my thumb along the selection as it melts to the very top.
Cut the deck with the selection still face up. Hold it out so they can flip it over and know it's only one card. Do the Card-To-Mouth here on T11.
When they see the card I hand it to them and have them sign it.
Place the card in the deck, pause, then slap my hands together around the deck, which has vanished, leaving only their card.

Apr 20, 2013
My tricks (most of them) would consist of a little bit of mentalism/mental magic, even though if it is ACR

So here it is :

1. Give the spectator a "notepad" (quotation marks needed) and tell them to write any prediction of cards
2. Ask another spectator to touch any card they like
3. Reveal the card and show that it is not the 1st spectator's predicted card
4. Do These combination to the 2nd spectator's selected card:
- Card to mouth
- Card to pocket
- Invisible Monte
5. Lastly, "change" the card into the 1st spectator's predicted card, and show it's back. It has different back than the other cards. ( if it is blue, the rest of the deck is red )

I know this is actually not an ACR
but it contains several ACR, and this is the routine I usually came up with for street card magic.

-LYE

Apr 20, 2013
Nice, do you mind if I ask what patter you use for this. Is it the traditional one, or of your own creation?

Is this question was directed to me? I assume it is because it is the second reply.
Most of them are traditional patter, it was other magician's invention and creation.
The "notepad" however is a little bit a variation of someone else's creation.

-LYE

Feb 24, 2013
England
It was directed at you so thanks for replying. Although if anyone reads this before the reply to this thread please include what patter you do.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Yeah, sorry, not going to include my patter. Nor any hints to my methods. It's already too easy for people to mangle other people's presentations, no need to spoon feed it.

Sep 2, 2007
London
It's always rings alarm-bells when someone asks to see another magician's patter.

Consider this. As even the most mind-numbingly banal amongst us will tell you, in the performance of magic, we're striving to "be ourselves". The aim is to invest our performances with individuality and the unique touches that are only possible for us with our specific experiences, values and skills. We're "playing the part of a magician", certainly, but the part we're playing is informed by the roles we play in other parts of our life. We are playing a version of ourselves. Given this, we can consider "magician me" as a particular character, who thinks, acts and talks in a particular way. Would "magician me" speak in someone else's words, unless it was "magician me" playing the role of yet another character (a "play within a play", like Ricky Jay's use of Erdnase's patter)? As far as I can see, that would be equivalent to being cast in the role of Hamlet but choosing to use Shylock's dialogue. Yeah, sure, it's all Shakespeare, but that doesn't mean it's relevant for the character.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results