Video Editing

Mar 21, 2010
The Earth
A lot of card magic/cardistry is the class, the elegance, the beauty, and the flow, and a lot of that can be lost with bad/no editing. I, being a technological nightmare, find editing my videos a painful experience, and I feel as if I sometimes take away from the video by trying to do so much. It is a childish question I pose, but I think it is one that need be posed.

What video editing program do you use?

And to further the discussion, what makes a well edited video and what makes a bad one?

Thanks

XabierL

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2010
I use Sony Vegas 10

The most important thing is the quality of the videos and the angles, but good transitions are also very important.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I have Pinnacle Studio 10 as well as Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 9.0. I feel that Pinnacle is a very simple, easy to use editor. However, I prefer Sony Vegas because, while still pretty simple, you can go more in depth with the editing and it has a few more features. Sony Vegas IS more complex than Pinnacle, but not much more.

I believe transitions, introductions, and endings are VERY important. I don't like when a video pops up and just starts playing but I also don't like a "blue screen, white text" intro that says their name for 10 seconds. You want a good, clean (not too drawn out) intro to draw the viewer in.

Aug 6, 2008
Beware Sony Vegas is hard to use. I got Sony Vegas Pro 9 about a week ago, and Its very hard and confusing. Keep in mind that I have no expirence at all in video editing. Maybe once or twice in my life I used windows media maker on windows xp. I am trying to use the help virtual tutorials but am still finding it hard to remember how to do what. Btw anybody have any tips esp in cutting scenes and fusing and making scenes faster or slower?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I highly recommend Pinnacle or Sony Vegas. If you are on a mac you have plenty to work with with iMovie. If you are more advanced than iMovie you could move up to Final Cut Pro.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
If you are more advanced than iMovie you could move up to Final Cut Pro.
iMovie to Final Cut Pro is quite a big step up.

I've heard good things about Adobe Premier mixed with Adobe After Effects as a good inbetween but not used it myself.

Dec 12, 2010
My cousin has final cut pro. He said it costs like $6000! I wish I had that kind of money. I just use iMovie 09.

Jan 21, 2011
Thanks I've been wanting to get some videos of performances of mine on video, Looks like I will be making a trip out to office depot.

Red

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Cool! Just FYI, Vegas movie studio HD 9 is a bit difficult to use Wth first. There is however a "show me how" button in the program. if you click that, it will show you how to do everything from starting a project to putting transitions in between clips and to saving the videos. It teaches you all the basics you need to know!

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
I'm a big fan of Vegas. It really is intuitive once you have figured out the basics.

It also allows you to use VST effects on your audio, which I personally love. Gate -> EQ -> Compress. It's absolutely blissful. Good audio is important in the editing process. A simple pass through a noise filter to get rid of that buzzing sound helps. Then compress your voice to keep it all roughly the same level.

I don't think that fancy titles are extremely vital for internet videos. Ugly titles are even less necessary. Blue screens with video titles in white letters are useless and hideous for an internet video. The host already displays the title for us. So, unless you have a really good logo and enough know-how to make it look right in your final product, the caption over the video at YouTube will suffice. This is a case of "less is more."

Finally, light your videos well. If all you have are standard lamps then try to throw down some money for better light bulbs. I have a pair of $7 lamps with GE Reveal "Full Spectrum" lights in them, and they are already worlds better than plain yellow lights. You may want to study "three point lighting" and "diffusion" to at least get a basic idea of how the big guns do it. Even when I got interviewed for the local news (horror movie stuff), they had a grunt with a diffuser standing off to one side. The saying among tech types is Garbage In, Garbage Out. If you haven't lit your shot well then you're putting garbage into the editor.

---

A final note about Vegas: The bundled DVD Architect is a dream come true for me, personally. At least the new versions that convert to compressed audio. That has little to do with editing video for the Internet, but can be a strong selling point if you're into burning your own DVDs.

While Sony does advertise that some professional projects have been created in Vegas, if you are looking to go really big then Adobe will probably serve you better.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
iMovie to Final Cut Pro is quite a big step up.

I've heard good things about Adobe Premier mixed with Adobe After Effects as a good inbetween but not used it myself.

Yeah, that is a big step. However, I think iMovie to Final Cut Express isn't bad.

As far as prices,

Sony Vegas 9 is generally $50-$100. Final Cut Express is $200. Final Cut Pro is $1000. Adobe After Effects is $2700. Lot of money being thrown around.

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Thanks for watching my video in my thread red! You said you liked the editing...I did it with Vegas Movie Studio HD 9. I got it at I think officedepot for $50!

I got mine from Target for $30 :)

But as I had said in a previous post in another thread, if you have a PC, get Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 HD. It's cheap, fairly easy to use, and you can go in depth with your editing. If you have a Mac, (and the money), get Final Cut Express. Its pretty simple and also makes good videos.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results