Wand street journal 9/23/17

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
Hello and welcome to this weeks addition to the Wand street journal! Your weekly (mostly) unbiased magic Newspaper.

Richard turner's Full documentary trailer is released
hqdefault.jpg
Throughout the course of magic's history few people have been acclaimed from the mind of as many well beloved magicians as Richard turner has. From the likes of Dai Vernon, Jason England, Ed Marlo, to even Penn and Teller, no one has met the standards set by Mr.Turner. When people are not praising him, they are praising His "gold standard" deck of cards. Which are widely considered the greatest deck of all time. Very few have had the dedication he has, had as well. To the point where he even named his own son Ace Of spades. Almost no one has come close to the dedication, skill, and praise this man possess.
Such a story has been rewarded with its own documentary. What started as an Indigogo campaign has finally revealed its trailer. The documentary is about our fellow Card Mechanic and six degree black belt and his many accomplishments, through his "Disability". The documentary entitled Dealt will discuss how his blindness has not and never will effect his skill. The documentary is going to be shown in select theaters (to check for a location near you check the official site),and will star such legends as Jason England, Max Maven, and Turner himself. It will be directed by Award winning director Luke Korem.
To see the full trailer look below.

Now, not a whole lot of new stories this week that are worth a full article so here is a lighting round!

Ellusionist is already sold out of quiver after a short amount of time.

Franco Pascali performed for charity water on behalf of Theory11.

Ryan Stock buys a Unicorn mask (doesn't mean anything, but I just wanted to mention it...).

Tarantula II lands on Theory11.com.

Daniel Madison releases the original tutorial for the kill switch on Youtube for free.

So yeah..... Not a lot to talk about. All the stuff I REALLY want to talk about is in the segments below.

Product of the week: All of Penguin magic's Hurricane relief Deals.
Yes, I know this was more of a last week thing, but I was unable to mention it, but it truly deserved this spot. For those unaware Penguin magic is having a lecture for only $20 (normally $10) every day. Some of which include Dan Harlan, And Jason England. Check their website every day. It will be at the upper left corner of their site.

Cool find of the week:An autographed copy of cruel tricks for dear friends by Penn and Teller
This classic from the 2 comedy magicians is a nice addition to any library and the autograph doesn't hurt.(I do not have a connection to the seller, nor do I gain a profit)

Performance of the week:

Now, I can talk about why I thought this performance was so good and deserved to win, but I think the frame below alone makes this the winner.

upload_2017-9-23_21-38-23.png

Weekly print out:
upload_2017-9-23_21-57-27.png

This is another force reveal (shocker I know). I decided to take a break from the gift cards.

You will see J♠ inside the eyes. Obviously
this will have the same usages as my
KFC reveal. You can simply Print this on a cup for a nice reveal with an "every day object".
Print it on apiece of paper, or Print this on a shirt.

If you do print this on a shirt I would suggest using dress code.
Like this:
Force the Jack Of spades. (use a force whee you don't see their card)
Say their card will appear on your shirt.
Show your shirt and have a different logo on it like McDonalds.
Saw "oh man, wrong shirt! Don't worry I'll change it!"
Do dress code and change it into the Starbucks reveal.
"Aw c'mon!! This isn't right either. You know never mind. They say you can tell alot by someone by looking into their eyes. But don't look into mine. Look into hers." Point to your shirt, and let them see their card.

Weekly idea: Oh, yes. My favorite segment!

This weeks idea is very simple. We all know the classic back palm. Used for cards, coins, ETC. It is used to seemingly pull objects from Thin air. My idea is to not pull them from thin air but to use a borrowed object and pull it from there.

I know How odd that sounds but check out the following usages:

Usage #1:

Have them select a card and sign it. Top change it, and place it on a table or in between their hands. With their card on top top palm that
card using any method. Hand them the deck. As they shuffle the deck they should be distracted enough to move their card from regular palm to back palm, then Let them put "their card" in the deck. (The card on the table is not actually their card. Remember?) Let them mix that card into the deck. Remind them that you haven't even touched the deck since the card has been returned and ask to borrow their hat. With the card back palmed show your hand empty (make sure its moving in a circular motion. the back pal should always have some kind of movement) and reach inside the hat and "un-back palm" the card showing their signed card has been pulled from the hat.

You may
remember this from my Saturday night contest entry from a while back.

I must admit this may not have been my greatest performance. You'll also notice I used the Morgan Revolution (which could have been done a little better) instead of the top change.

Usage #2:
Borrow a coin and grab a napkin. Let them hold on to the napkin. Vanish the coin and back palm it. Reach in the napkin and Un-back palm the coin to make seem as if it come out of the napkin they were holding on to.
I know that was pretty vague, but I want to see you guys run with it

Usage #3

Set up: Fold up a bill (the higher the value the more impressive). Lick the back of your hand and stick it to it.

Now, let say you are hanging with from friends in a casual situation. If you are really gutsy in a busking setting or a street setting. You stop someone and claim they have something in their hat. Show your hand empty (making sure not to flash the money) and show the hat is empty. Reach inside and scrape the bill against the side of the hat and let it fall into the hat and unfold the bill in the action of shaking the hat as if something was caught in it. Come out with the bill in your hand hand them the hat and take the bill. This is a
powerful opener and a nice Ice breaker to move to another effect.

Usage #4: Same as 3, but with a sponge rabbit. Its a nice way to start your sponge rabbit routine. However, it would not be that great of an
opening effect. Licking your hand may not work and you may need to clip it like a real back palm.

Final thoughts: So, not many news stories this week. Sorry about that. The cool find was Almost not included because I was going to keep it to myself, but I knew I should be fair and let every one have a shot at it. I really hope you guys like the weekly Idea. Usage 3 may be too gutsy for some. It would probably work better in a casual friendly setting. And please comment below some new usages or routines for that idea. Remember All feedback is highly welcome.
ESPECIALLY negative.

Here are the previous Wand street Journals:
Week 5
Week 4
Week 3
Week 2
week 1

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-23_21-37-57.png
    upload_2017-9-23_21-37-57.png
    444 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: Maaz Hasan

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
Weekly Idea:

Usage #4: you can use any of the before mentioned usages, but with a borrowed school backpack! It even gives you more coverage. Imagine pulling cards,coins,and even Bills out of a school bag!

Just a cool tip I just thought of!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results