What about Style in magic?

Nov 13, 2009
Hey Guy's,

I have been discovering something that I think will be a valuable magical principle but I want your guy's thoughts and opinions.

I call it style. My question is what is your style? Do you have one? Is style important?

I will try to give you a couple of examples to clarify what I mean,

There is the style of dramatic and flourishy like David Copperfield and Lance Burton ( that guy could stick a pencil to his hand and make you think he was levitating himself I Like it lol)

Theres the style of smoothe and profesional like Rich Ferguson and Justin Miller who consentrate on looking professional making money and take their magic serious.( I really enjoy watching these guys.)

Theres the style of doing geek type magic like Sean fields and Wayne Houchin (sort of though Wayne could fall into all the above catagories.)

Theres the style of being slick and fast talking making the whole who feel almost like a con. Kinda like Paul Daniels and Gregory Wilson.

Theres the style of comedy magic where most your tricks lead up to punch lines and focus more on comedy then magic.

And finally theirs the style of casual and off beat as if you just realized you could do the trick like Daniel Garcia and Aaron Fisher (they rock).

So what is your style? Do you have one? How does it effect the kinds of effects you do? My style as I would like it to be is serious ( with just a dash of humour), casual, and entertaining . I keep trying to work on making my style better and I know I still a long way to go so I just thought I would get the ball rolling on talking about style I know you guy's will have some great ideas about it so post away,

What is your style?

Christian

Last edited by a moderator:

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I can´t really describe my style, It´s somehow changes depending on the type of audience I´m performing for, but most of the time I try to be really nice and get everyone involved without losing my seriousness, that´s my common factor, that´s why I don´t script my routines or tricks, there´s always different people and different situations.

by the way:

Rich Fergeson

Wayne Houchison

Gregoary Wilson.

Aron Fisher

who are these guys?

May 3, 2008
I'm sort of the cocky, confident, take charge type of person in my performance while at the same time, trying to have fun and interact with the spectators.

@Vega, I think it's actually important to script your magic. Believe it or not, what you say again and again is your script. "Hold out your hand and put the other one on top" would be your script, if you were to say that for each performance. You'd want to give them clear cut instructions or else they might ruin the trick or the impact may not be as great; a good script or a clear set of instructions helps with that. This also includes interesting patter. People often think that when you script, you're sticking to it the entire time, but you can stray away from it to interact with them while still following your script. That's what makes someone a versatile performer and why I chose the style I have now.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
This is exactly my style as well. I make sure everyone is laughing and having a great time yet I am the one in control and running the show. I make sure the guys are laughing and the gals are wondering who this good looking magic guy is.....oh wait I'm married. Ha Ha.

Jun 1, 2009
I like to be lightharted and entertaining, but at the same time make sure my audience knows I'm in charge and still respects me. I like to keep the mood uplifting, I really dont go for that "serious magical power" vibe. Most kids realize its sleight of hand, so I dont need to put on a show of having "powers" but more just to be entertaining and having a good time.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
style is one of the best parts of magic, it really reflects who you are.

Im pretty goofy, i like to have fun, keep it real.

I don't like to try to be goofy, it just kind of flows.

I like to present it as, im just another tall white kid who can do some amazing things.

Feb 28, 2008
Along with magic, I fancy my self a writer, and style is probably the most important thing to anyone in art - magic, music, writing, painting - because style is who you are... and if not who you are then who and what you want to present to you audience.

Personally, there's no difference between me as a magician and me as person... kind of funny, kind of personal... I don't really put on a character. I think that's the best way to perform - be yourself, but yourself holding a deck of cards.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I'm sort of the cocky, confident, take charge type of person in my performance while at the same time, trying to have fun and interact with the spectators.

@Vega, I think it's actually important to script your magic. Believe it or not, what you say again and again is your script. "Hold out your hand and put the other one on top" would be your script, if you were to say that for each performance. You'd want to give them clear cut instructions or else they might ruin the trick or the impact may not be as great; a good script or a clear set of instructions helps with that. This also includes interesting patter. People often think that when you script, you're sticking to it the entire time, but you can stray away from it to interact with them while still following your script. That's what makes someone a versatile performer and why I chose the style I have now.

thanks for the suggestion!!!, of course I say the instruccions of the tricks while performing, but I keep these as an obvious part of the trick, but aside from the instruccions I react to what they say or feel in the moment because I often perform while somehow chatting around with them about what they do for living and what are their interests and from there I try to create a more empathic feel with them.

sometimes from those lil chats while performing I create the patter in the go!! and people like that because they feel I don´t have a script to say word for word like other magicians they have met, they usually say the same jokes and the same lines in every performance, and I try to change that

that´s usually how I do my performances!!Thanks again

Jul 19, 2009
I like to be down to earth, entertaining and polite when i am performing magic. This way, i get the spectators trust and reducing the chance of me being heckled :D

-M.

My style is simply to put the strongest sense of realism and reality in my effects. I put out that this isn't something tricky, nothing fake, just real.

I don't keep it light like many others, I put a heavy touch to everything, getting every bit I can that what I am doing is as real as the eyes you are watching this with. Not real dark, but almost this mystery (cliche I know) that it's just different.

When they watch me they see possibilities and wonder.

Btw, I do mentalism so this is why it's so.

Hey Guy's,

I have been discovering something that I think will be a valuable magical principle but I want your guy's thoughts and opinions.

I call it style. My quesiton is what is your style? Do you have one? Is style important?

I will try to give you a couple of examples to clarify what I mean,

Thiers the style of dramatic and flourishy like David Copperfield and Lance Burton ( that guy could stick a pencil to his hand and make you think he was levitating himself I Like it lol)

Theirs the style of smoothe and profesional like Rich Fergeson and Justin Miller who constarte on looking profesional making money and take their magic serius.( I really enjoy watching these guys.)

Theirs the style of doing geek type magic like Sean fields and Wayne Houchison (sort of though Wayne could fall into all the above catagories.)

Theirs the style of being slick and fast talking making the whole who feel almost like a con. Kinda like Paul Daniels and Gregoary Wilson.

Theirs the style of comedy magic where most your tricks lead up to punch lines and focus more on comedy then magic.

And finally theirs the style of casual and off beat as if you just realized you could do the trick like Daniel Garcia and Aron Fisher (they rock).

So what is your style? Do you have one? How does it effect the kinds of effects you do? My style as I would like it to be is serious ( with just a dash of humour), casual, and entertaining . I keep trying to work on making my style better and I know I still a long way to go so I just thought I would get the ball rolling on talking about style I know you guy's will have some great ideas about it so post away,

What is your style?

Christian
good question man....my style is kind of a tweener...i joke and i kid around, then i kill em with something draw dropping....its like i'm a normal average guy, who live a normal average life....but i do things the normal average person can't do....kinda like a secret super hero....

i don't dress like a magician...i don't talk like one...i don't do anything you would associate with a magician....but when it happens...you know exactly who i am....

Nov 13, 2009
I can´t really describe my style, It´s somehow changes depending on the type of audience I´m performing for, but most of the time I try to be really nice and get everyone involved without losing my seriousness, that´s my common factor, that´s why I don´t script my routines or tricks, there´s always different people and different situations.

by the way:

Rich Fergeson

Wayne Houchison

Gregoary Wilson.

Aron Fisher

who are these guys?

Vega,

I am so sorry I typed this thing way to fast I tend to misspell alot of stuff! I made the spelling corrections you pointed out and I will try to watch for this in the future. Thanks for pointing this out. I found a couple of other spelling errors of mine, in this post that I had to fix. I need to work on my spelling lol.

Thanks again,

Christian

Love it :p

Edit :

Personally, I like to mirror (as NLP says it) my spectator, so I can connect better ;)

There is actually some psychology to this that really opens up a spectator. It's found in possibly the best book I have ever read, more so about mentalism. The psychology though in it is great for performing for magician or mentalist.

PM me for the name of book, like to keep it a bit of a secret.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results