What do we do with the jerks

Sep 8, 2012
Ok so I preform magic at school useually after we are done with out lessons I will play around with something and I wait until I'm asked to do something today I prefourmd pressure and crazy mans handcuffs but there's one guy in my class who is a know it all and continues to try to expose every little thing I do. He dose this at the point when I have grasped every ones attention in the class and as if on cue he blurts out " oh your just lifting two cards, oh your just putting it in that hand, oh it's in your pocket. We have all felt with people like this
So what do I do to shut him up and still have my audience on my side?

c.t

Apr 17, 2013
Australia
1.ignore him and your audience will likely do the same
2. say "im sorry i thought you wanted to see magic" and then keep going with your back turned on him
3. (this one i use most often) say "not everything in this world is magic, so for 5 minutes its going to be magic, just let it be magic and enjoy it"-Zach Mueller said that one I think

Jun 13, 2013
australia
i've had the same problem many times and iv'e found it best if people want to see you perform magic and that jerk is there, say this, i'm not going to show you all magic when he's around because he is rude. Then everyone will ask him to leave and he will be embarrassed not you. i hope this helps if it didn't just do pressure on his face :)

venom546

Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
I perform at school too and when I first started doing it, it got a lot of attention and so there was this one guy who did that. He was always saying "oh he isn't putting the actual card in your hand" or in the middle of the trick, he would say "oh I see what you did there" when I haven't even done anything lmao. So I usually just do a trick that is very powerful yet easy and I know I wouldn't get caught because I have practiced a lot. So one day I came to school with distortion in my hands. I was so excited to do this trick. So I got a group of people around me and did other tricks and attracted more people. I espically wanted to get the guy who tries to bust me interested. And I did. So I asked for his participation in the routine (which was risky in my opinion because he could easily do something you don't want him too) and I performed distortion. HE WAS BLOWN. It was kind of stupid in my part to ask for his hand instead, but I knew that if I hadn't used him and I asked for someone elses hand and never gave him a chance, then he would really feel the magic I guess lol. But yeah that shut him up and now he is a friend of mine :) So maybe if you do a powerful yet easy trick that you know you can't mess up on this person, then you have a possibility of it shutting him up. But that is what has happened to me and how I fixed it and I am sure it is different for everyone lol. Good luck!!!

Apr 17, 2013
It is reasons like these that I am selective about when and where I will do an effect outside of a gig. If you are always doing magic than it's not very magical. So you know one guy is gonna heckle you, then pick out one or two people to perform for. Frame it in a way that makes it more magical and less like you are seeking attention.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Simple solution. Do not perform at school. Yes, I know it's hard to do. But think about this way. You see those people 5 days a week, for maybe around 5 hours a day. So they are given every chance to heckle and bother you. So your best bet is to simply not perform for them...ever.

If you REALLY want to perform for people, do it at the park, outdoor malls, or other places where you will run into people who you will only see ONCE in your life. This way if they hassle you, it's not really a big deal because you won't ever see them again. And even if you do (fat chance.) they most likely won't hassle you because they'll have easily already forgotten who you are.

Jun 13, 2013
Germany
On the other hand, I am in his situation: I play around with something and I am waiting waiting for someone to talk to me 'bout that.I guess we both do it because we are shy or don't want anyone force to see our tricks. So here is my point: you couldn't actually get no better chance of dealing with those jerks and improve your performance skills as in the school. You can learn from your experiences (daily presentation) and of course maybe you perform for the jerk a little bit more alone and do tricks with him. Maybe you figure out how he's thinking and how to trick the thought process of jerks/that jerk.

Sep 2, 2007
London
Ok so I preform magic at school useually after we are done with out lessons I will play around with something and I wait until I'm asked to do something today I prefourmd pressure and crazy mans handcuffs but there's one guy in my class who is a know it all and continues to try to expose every little thing I do. He dose this at the point when I have grasped every ones attention in the class and as if on cue he blurts out " oh your just lifting two cards, oh your just putting it in that hand, oh it's in your pocket. We have all felt with people like this
So what do I do to shut him up and still have my audience on my side?

A lot of very wise and experienced people recommend not performing at school. On the other hand, a lot of very wise and experience people say, "do as many shows as you possibly can" (a Lance Burton phrase originally, I believe).

I think of it like this.

When you leave school, do you want to be a professional performer? If you do, then getting experience playing to hard audiences now is going to stand you in very good stead. Perform to everyone. Teachers, students you know, students you don't know, try and arrange formal stage or parlour shows in your school...do literally everything you can to perform. A school is actually a relatively safe environment while acting as a microcosm of scenarios and experiences you'll come across in your adult life. The lessons you learn from performing at school are going to be as important to you as anything else you might learn at school, so keep performing, think of every performance as a show, and keep trying to find ways to make your shows better.

If, on the other hand, you don't want to be a professional performer, then the advantage you'll gain from performing magic every day may well be outweighed by the social cost of being pigeon-holed as "magic boy". You won't be able to interact with people on a normal human level. People will think of you as just a magician and not as a person so you won't necessarily have a lot of close relationships. When you leave school, all that anyone will remember about you is that you were the one who did magic. When you meet up with old school friends they'll ask "Hey, do you still do magic? I bet you've got your own show in Vegas by now!" and you're going to have to tell them you aren't doing it for a living and it will be awkward.

So, before you decide how you're going to deal with the jerks, decide whether you really want to be performing magic in school, and that totally depends on your ambitions in the art.

If you decide to carry on performing magic at school (which means you've decided you want to become a professional performer), then here are a couple of thoughts:

Jerks, hecklers and know-it-alls are good. They're what you want. If you didn't get any then you'd be missing some of the most valuable flight-time a school can offer. So, the next time someone heckles or tries to mess you up, smile to yourself, because that jerk is unwittingly making your route into professional magic easier. The more your perform to tough audiences, the more you'll learn to deal with it. Even if, in the moment, you freeze up, the trick goes wrong and everyone laughs, it doesn't matter...it's school. Go home, think about specifically what went wrong and work out what you'd do the next time it happens. Then go back to school and perform a similar trick in earshot of the guy who messed you up before.

We've all heard this thing about 10,000 hours practice making you an expert. Well, it's not quite as simple as that but this is true: The more you do something, the better your chances of becoming an expert at it. A pianist who plays a piece badly 1,000 times is more likely to become an expert that someone who plays that piece quite well once. Even if every show goes badly (which they won't), you'll be building up a huge arrary of subtle performance skills without really noticing it. You'll have learned to be aware of your angles, you'll have learned to hold a group's attention, you'll have learned to spot when someone's going to heckle, you'll have learned (the most important lesson) to relax in front of an audience...as well as having learned some decent tricks. Then you'll go out and perform in the real world and...guess what? People are more polite and less jerky in the real world! So suddenly everything will seem easier, more fluid, and you'll notice what a slick performer you've become.

I'll reiterate it one more time, because I think it's important. School is for learning and setting you up for later life. If you want to be a professional performer, then school is the best place to perform, and the fact that it's hard is one of the best things about it.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
A lot of very wise and experienced people recommend not performing at school. On the other hand, a lot of very wise and experience people say, "do as many shows as you possibly can" (a Lance Burton phrase originally, I believe).

Completely different context. You cannot gain experience by constantly performing for the same people all the time.

Also, when Lance Burton mentioned that phrase he was talking about doing as many "free" gigs as you can. IE: performing for different clients/groups all the time. Not performing for your friends or family all the time.

The other thing is this "experience" won't help him in the future, because he will end up thinking that everybody is a jerk, because all of his friends are hounding him and seem to be his ONLY audience. Which harkens back to what I originally said. You cannot get experience performing for the same people all the time. It doesn't work that way, and not to mention can become extremely tiresome and boring because you'll end up having to learn new effects all the time and not really getting good at any of them. As well as becoming everybody's performing monkey.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
Conjure a duck from your hat and throw it at him. If you're lucky, it'll poop on him.

On a more serious note, if you absolutely must perform at school due to your deep inner desires, just do it when he's not around.

Sep 2, 2007
London
The other thing is this "experience" won't help him in the future, because he will end up thinking that everybody is a jerk, because all of his friends are hounding him and seem to be his ONLY audience.

That could be true but, on the other hand CJ might have the intelligence to realise that school isn't exactly like real life in all respects, and that the jerk-ratio he might experience there won't be reflected in adult life, and to differentiate between interactions with friends and interactions with strangers. In addition, you may notice that I recommended performing in as many different contexts within the school as possible (stage/parlour, for teachers, for friends, etc.) in order to maximise the performance experience as far as possible. You're right, performing for the same audience all the time isn't the BEST experience, but it is SOME experience. Relating this to another performance art, there are a lot of stand-up comedians who developed their stage skills and characters by performing to pretty much the same audience week in week out. Like I say, though, different people have different points of view and what works for one person may not fit another.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
That could be true but, on the other hand CJ might have the intelligence to realise that school isn't exactly like real life in all respects, and that the jerk-ratio he might experience there won't be reflected in adult life, and to differentiate between interactions with friends and interactions with strangers. In addition, you may notice that I recommended performing in as many different contexts within the school as possible (stage/parlour, for teachers, for friends, etc.) in order to maximise the performance experience as far as possible. You're right, performing for the same audience all the time isn't the BEST experience, but it is SOME experience. Relating this to another performance art, there are a lot of stand-up comedians who developed their stage skills and characters by performing to pretty much the same audience week in week out. Like I say, though, different people have different points of view and what works for one person may not fit another.

I know what you are saying, but in reality it does not work that way for High School. He sees his friends and other students 5 days a week, 4 hours a week (sometimes more.). So him constantly performing at school, is just going to be setting himself up for a massive headache. I suggested that he do it for people he will not see again. IE: The park, Outdoor shopping centers, etc. This way, he doesn't have to deal with seeing a jerk (who can and will pretty much hound him at school.) 5 days a week.

Also, I do have a question for you. How do you put out a fire? You remove the oxygen from it. He is the Oxygen, so once he removes himself from the equation. This one jerk should end up fading away.

If you acknowledge the heckler you empower them. Normally I'd say run a heckler line and shut him down, but if you have to go to class with him, see him every day, etc. that may not be wise.

Just control your environment. You don't HAVE to perform. If he harasses you just tell everyone that I guess you don't want to see this trick then, and make him the reason why you're not performing. Take it away from them and make the magic something special.

The audience will take care of their own. They'll shut him up for you.

Sep 2, 2007
London
om it. He is the Oxygen, so once he removes himself from the equation. This one jerk should end up fading away.

That's absolutely true. My advice was more centred around facing up to the problem and learning to handle it rather than trying to make it go away, though. I think it's a useful skill to learn to "play any room", i.e. learn to step up in front of any group (teenage jerks, Fortune 500 CEOs, drunks, anyone...) and turn them into a good audience. To my mind, learning to be, first and foremost, an entertainer is a more important skill than the mechanical techniques of magic. A lot of those skills can be practiced and rehearsed in front of a mirror, but you can't learn to turn a group of jerks around without getting up in front of a group of jerks and trying to turn them around. Still, as I say, it depends what the ultimate goal is.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
High School jerks are completely different than drunks or CEO jerks.

Most kids in high school can be dicks and immature towards each other, simply due to them all going through puberty at the time. Thus just about everybody is trying to get into a popularity contest.

If he sees this guy on Campus all the time, then his chances are going to increase each day of having to deal with him. And like William mentioned, shutting him down probably won't due much besides start a fight, and trying to get him on your side most likely won't work because he WANTS the spot light. So right now his only option is simply to remove himself from the problem. Let the guy have the spotlight and simply turn his back to the person and ignore them.

Apr 17, 2013
Just control your environment. You don't HAVE to perform. .

This. If you do something for just a couple of people and no one else it makes them and the moment feel special. When asked to do anything more politely decline. Then keep declining for a week. It will make the next time you do something more of an event and less like you are looking for attention.

Sep 8, 2012
I actually just asked him to back off and let others enjoy the performance. He said fine and now when i do perform he just sits back and relaxes. And i also only perform about 3 tricks if anyone asks what i was doing at the time i was building a reputation so i did a few simple tricks originally and then i did pressure and thats what people talked about for a few weeks haha it was great. pressure was my big trick to end the preforming for a few days. Now evrey one knows me as magic man if they don't know my actual name.
im actuly the second magician to go through my school and they all compare me to him. thanks for the advice

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results