What makes a good magician?

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
What makes a good magician? Is it his handling of the cards and the coins? Is it his presentation of the trick? Is it the magicians ability to seemingly get inside our heads and perform "otherworldly" effects that defy the laws of science?

For me, it is the magicians ability to entertain. Lets say that I'm watching a card magician performing some of the most visual flourishes and doing the most impossible tricks imaginable, but he's presenting the whole effect as thought it was a nuisance for him, then I'll walk away saying "Yeah, it was alright. Could have been better..." But If I see a magician performing even the simplest Ambitious Card Routine or coin vanish, but the entire act he has a great personality, he's interacting with the audience, his patter is perfect and he really seems to be enjoying the show himself, then I'm more likely to walk away saying "Wow! Did you see that! That was UNBELIEVEABLE!"

The point that I'm trying to get across is this: Is it the trick that makes the magician, or the magician that makes the trick?

So many people these days will rush out to buy the newest single trick dvd that comes out, practice it once or twice because they think it's easy and "perform", but even though it's an amazing trick, the performance comes out tasting like an undercooked steak. They think that since they have an amazing effect, the whole routine will pretty much work itself out, and so they put little effort into making the effect look good, because they think that the trick will do all of the work for them, and they will get all the applause at the end.

What magicians (both young and old, new and experienced) should realize is that your performance of the trick is what makes it. I'll use the metaphor of steak again, the trick is the steak of your entree, and your performance is the potatoes, gravy and seasoning of the whole thing.
In my opinion the performance is what not only defines the routine, but it defines the magician.

So my advice would be this: Work on your routine, instead of rushing out and buying the newest, most glamours thing that hits the market, you'll be amazed what your performance will do for a trick. I've done the most basic of transpositions and color changes, and other such tricks, but still amazed people because of the presentation.
Your body language, patter, attitude, and personality will all help this. Be confident with your routine, even if you are scared to death that you just might flash that DL or that they might see what your doing with your other hand. I'm an actor, so I can't say this for everybody, but when I perform I put on my actors face. I pronounce my words very clearly, I speak in a loud voice, but don't shout, I keep my head and shoulders held high and I keep a smile on my face, even if I get a heckler,and this works for me, and it just might work for you.
Now, this advice doesn't work for everybody, since the very idea of acting scares people, but if I had to give one piece of advice it would be: Act natural. If you're a funny guy, be funny in your routine, make jokes, laugh with the spectators. If you're a serious person, be serious, act as though you have psychic powers. WHATEVER YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH.
Most importantly however, have fun, because if you're having a good time, the audience will too.

(This was my first essay, so sorry if I rambled on and on ;))

You make good points. However I cannot totally agree that it's *only* the magician that makes the trick. In many cases yes it is. Presentation over the actual handling, etc. But the effect must have a certain degree of level for it to work well.

You can concentrate on your performance only if you are perfect and so good at your sleights to the point that you aren't thinking about what you're doing while you're doing it. That's the level we must all strive for. Once there, all our focus can translate into other aspects such as patter, reading our audience, improv and entertaining. That's what makes the complete package. Many times the reason why we aren't able to entertain to our fullest extent is because we are worrying about what we doing, afraid that we will screw up, etc. We aren't paying attention to our audience!

Cheers,

AJ

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
You make good points. However I cannot totally agree that it's *only* the magician that makes the trick. In many cases yes it is. Presentation over the actual handling, etc. But the effect must have a certain degree of level for it to work well.

You're right, perhaps I should have been more clear in my wording.

What i mean to say is, the magician is a major part of what makes an effect, it isn't just the effect.

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
I see A LOT of magic shows.

I've seen terrible tricks done well and good tricks done terribly. Its all in the performer. You can have a "bad" show, as long as you are true to yourself and your heart is in it, you can be thought of as a great performer.

I'm going to give you the advice I give my students. "Attitude is everything."

Just a thought.

KE

Sep 1, 2007
I think Sean said alot with very little. If you can recover from a mistake and the audience never even noticed you made one, then you are doing very well as performer.

I also feel if you are a professional performer then you would be able to make a mistake into a "non mistake" which differs from just hiding the fact you made one.

What I am getting at is that you have so much experience with people and your material that any fork in road that jumps in your way doesn't slow you down. You don't see it as a right or wrong path to take when the decision comes forth, but you know that either path that is taken you will emerge triumphantly and you make it work without any mistakes.

The only mistake you can make, which happens to be the most common one, is hesitation. If you slow down or hesitate at the fork, even for the briefest of moments, it will show...

Remember, "Fear causes hesitation and hesitation will cause your worse fears to come to life"

Don't be scared of the fork in the road, just keep moving because it doesn't matter which path you take, it will allows be the right one in the end.

Wow, that was almost completely based on a metaphor. I hope someone understood what I was getting at. *laughs*

Alot of this comes down to audience control. If you have control over others, you have control over just about everything.

-Dave T. Wiltrout-

I love reading these posts!!!!
Here is my opinion :
70% is made by the magician and his way of presentation
30% is from the trick.

Let me tell you about a trick I love : WOW by Masuda. I don't know if you do this trick or even if you have already seen it. But, the fact is that this is a great, wonderful, unbelievable trick.
But, I saw someone doing it so bad that I was not very impressed. Then I saw a good magician, and, my first reaction was : WOOOOOW (now I know why Masuda called this trick WOW!).
To me, it seems very important to work a lot on 1 routine to make it reach a high level. High level means High for hands work and high for acting.
When I started magic, I wanted to bye every tricks!!! Today, a deck of card is enough for 2 hours of magic... The same effect presented in two ways is not the same effect!

P.S : I don't know if my english is very correct!!! Sorry!!!

We call all agree that the Magician plays a major role in the effectiveness of the trick. Just think about the trick doing it without the Magician.

So there is no argument here. It starts with the Magician.

Now what the Magician chooses to perform and how well he performs it comes next. This covers allot of areas like Patter, Presentation, etc.

I believe an OK trick performed by a good Magician will amaze and a great trick performed by a Novice will not be that great. I refuse to say bad Magician as we all have to start somewhere.

Many of you already covered what needs to be said on this. What we all need to do is continue to become better and push the art to a new level of entertainment.

-Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Australia
Now that we've identified this, how can we use it. That is the next question.

Here's a thought - what do you practice more, your handlings or your presentation (patter etc.) I know some of you will (if you're truthful) say that you practice the mechanics more than the performance.

Instead of using all your time to work on your Top Palm 2o times in a row, go through your routine (with patter) 20 times in a row. Yeah, your family will think you're nuts, but come performance time they will be the ones going nuts.

Don't think I'm telling you not to work on your sleights. What I am saying is to work on both your mechanics and presentation. If this means more time on magic, away from (god forbid) the computer, GREAT! Job well done.

Ty

It doesn't always depend on the level of the effect. I actually perform stoplight and brainwave along with some other beginner tricks that follow along the trend of mentalism. I perform these at major corporate parties. It's the level of the performance from the magician more and so I believe. I can do a french drop with a quarter but because I do it with elegance and confidence it blows people away even till this day. Yes certain tricks won't do it, but I always performed as if it was what I said and how I said it, and the body language I used to tell the story. Those things have helped my career a long way. I actually prefer simple over hard cause I love to focus on the entertaining but thats me and not everyones like me. Don't get me wrong I use very difficult tricks all the time but I like to mix em up.

Sep 1, 2007
Yeah, your family will think you're nuts
Ty

I did the same effect 3 hours a day for 3 days in a row. Now I'm trying to do tivo 2.0, for the past 2 hours. My family is telling me to stop lol. I think where past nuts.

A good magician...

Wow! Now that I'm actually posed with the question, I realize that I should be thinking about this more often.
Alright I'm back. After having given this some thought, I believe a good magician should be able to entertain an audience. We are entertainers, are we not? Our job is to give our spectators an experience not easily forgotten. This means that a good magician should be able to entertain a broad range of people, and should be able to choose the right effect for the situation. Doing this successfully takes a lot of skill, practice and experience. Simply put, a good magician puts on a good show.
I honestly do not believe that skill with cards and coins makes a good magician, an example being Brian Tudor, a man who does insane flourishes and knuckle busting magic in his sleep, yet I somehow can't see an audience of his staying awake through his unenthusiastic performance style and monotone voice. A good magician can have great sleights, but it is imperitive that he has a performance personality that can keep up with it. By the way, this is EXACTLY why the invisible deck is by far my favorite trick in the book. No matter how many sybils, fans, or complicated sleights I execute during a show, I almost always get the best reactions with the ID, the reason being that all focus is brought off the sleight and put into the performance aspect of the trick. A talented magician can give a good performance. A good performance leads to a great reaction. A great reaction means a wonderful experience for everyone and a job well done. And in the end, that's what you want.

Whew... that's what I get for thinking. Anyway, that's my take on the whole 'good magician' thing. Peace!

P.S. I have NOTHING on Brian Tudor, but honestly, If you buy any of his DVD's you'll see my point. Seriously, every time he finishes a magic trick it looks like he just learned of a death in the family...

P.S. I have NOTHING on Brian Tudor, but honestly, If you buy any of his DVD's you'll see my point. Seriously, every time he finishes a magic trick it looks like he just learned of a death in the family...

That's a bit right! In the DVD Heckler (which is a very good DVD for hands sleights), he speaks with a monotone voice! But, I don't want him to entertain me on this DVD, I want him to make me work hard on his routines.

True, but my point is, in addition to working hard on the routines, work hard on the performance aspect. I'm just using Brian Tudor as an example of a magician who during his real life performances has the mechanics on lock, but the personality is shotty, his attitude has no life. Regardless, I'm glad you liked Heckler too, I highly recommend it. :)

A good magician is one who has a totally KILLER deck of cards.

yeah right.... =)

Through my story, I'll tell you what I think... and I won't use the deck of cards this time... just the internet and the letters forming the words...

I'm actually just a beginner in card magic (and cardistry) at first I wasn't even planning to do the magic tricks at all... but if you appear somewhere with the cards, people WANT you to do the trick... so I had to learn a few simple tricks (I mean really simple tricks - if there is a stack it's the simplest and to be ready in a minute). I found out that magic is actually very interesting and if I use the flourishes as decoration some day in future... I might become a good magician and card expert.

But there's a problem... and that problem is... that I'm a GIRL :eek: and due to that people sometimes don't take me seriously... they don't even listen to me when I give them the instructions for the trick... at first I was very nervous about it... my hands were shaking all the time and I was saying things that weren't supposed to be said... once I almost revealed a trick with it =) then I figured out... that you just can't learn a trick today and perform it tomorrow... it's disrespectful because you might reveal the trick...

I didn't give up on magic, it has been only two months since I'm in it and I guess the best thing to do for me is to learn, practice, learn, practice and practice all over again. i do have a few(3-4) basic tricks (not that easy to figure out) to use when someone asks me to do a trick, otherwise I don't do the tricks... I don't approach people and ask them if I can show them a trick... I think I have many things to learn, I know that when I do reach the proper level of skill for performing the modern - insane - tricks, I will probably miss the part where you communicate with your spectators... but as I heard on this site, it's important to be yourself... I'm kind of a weird person, but I do have the style and I won't have problems getting into the performance... if I'm a freak and look interesting... then I guess people will listen to me :)

I'm 16 years old... I'm planning to live quite a few years more :p and if I practice all the trilogy tricks for one/two year/s... I just HAVE TO do them well some day... there is the beginning in magic... there is the progress.... and usually there is no ending... it's an obsession and something you can do for the rest of your life... and if you enjoy in it, then it doesn't matter if you're a boy or a girl... actually I would really like to be a magician... that would make me even more special =)

---------------

In the end... it's not about the deck of cards... it's not about your age or size or anything... it's about taking magic as your art and respecting it as an art... artists create... you can create your own style of performing something that wasn't actually invented by you... but you're still an artist... performance is just like 0,1% of all the work you did... it's not a lot, but more than nothing... and WORK is the most important part... if you put your soul into it... you're gonna rule the business... not tomorrow... not next month... but in a few years, you will =)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results