what tricks can i do in talents show ?

Aug 21, 2011
i mean it is stage performance so i domt know if i can perform card tricks or maybe card flourishes ( j5 , pandora , cuso flourishes , miquel roman ) or maybe general magic is better please help me because iam going to talents show soon

Jun 28, 2013
Honestly, depending on how old you are. If you are in highschool, don't. You will be made fun of for it, I am not trying to be rude but I have known someone who did it in highschool, and he was bullied for the rest of the year.

Sep 1, 2007
I have known someone who did it in highschool, and he was bullied for the rest of the year.

Bereft of any context, you may as well say, "My cousin knew a guy..."

To repeat, how much time do you have? What material do you already own? What I want to know most is what books you have.

Jun 28, 2013
Bereft of any context, you may as well say, "My cousin knew a guy..."

To repeat, how much time do you have? What material do you already own? What I want to know most is what books you have.

It's really his/ her choice in the end. Keep this in mind, generations are changing what was once "cool" is now something to be made fun of. In no way am I insulting the magic community, I respect them, I consider myself a magician.
If your going to be doing flourishes and actually impress the audience, I guarantee that you will be popular in your school. Also as for tricks i recommend things like thread. Thread as an opener is perfect, also if you have the money to buy a single needle ( both by wayne houchin) and use it as a mid effect or closer not sure, it's perfect
Note: both effects I listed are perfect for stage magic .

dentian

Elite Member
Apr 29, 2010
Honestly, depending on how old you are. If you are in highschool, don't. You will be made fun of for it, I am not trying to be rude but I have known someone who did it in highschool, and he was bullied for the rest of the year.

On the other hand, you can also become very well known. It depends on your presentation and your persona really. I've performed in High School talent shows before and it was a great success. I guess it also depends on your context (public/private school, location of school etc).

But that is only assuming that you are a HS student, If you are older, then presenting card tricks would work fine. It depends on what you are best at! Take all your good stuff and bring it to the stage, request that they prepare a camera for you. Often these shows would have projectors, so you can directly project your close-up onto the screen for everyone to see. I've performed for 1,600 students before using this, Just make sure the camera angle is good!

Sep 1, 2007
It's really his/ her choice in the end. Keep this in mind, generations are changing what was once "cool" is now something to be made fun of. In no way am I insulting the magic community, I respect them, I consider myself a magician.

I never insinuated you were insulting anybody. Cool people are defined as such because they're know what they want and are not afraid to bend or break rules, written or otherwise, to get what they want so long as no one gets hurt. And things are only perceived as uncool until value is attached to them. Comic book superheroes used to be strictly nerd territory. But when stripped of the impenetrable graphic novel continuity insanity and removed from the environment of the comic shop which is not terribly welcoming to newbies, people loved Iron Man and Captain America et al.

It's only nerdy and uncool if it does nothing to enrich your life, if there's no value to it. It's not the material that's the problem, it the presentation.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I've worked with Magic & Puppets since I was literally, in diapers and throughout my school life it never really hurt me all so much (other than pissing off some teachers here and there). On the other hand, my step son loved puppets & vent work but his own insecurities and ADD issues caused an awkwardness and so kids were kids and made fun of him for playing with dolls...

It goes back to what's been said already; your own sense of guts/audacity and the presentation/context. My buddy Joel & I were quite the hit in the lunch room during High School and I was a key part at my church, using both, Magic & Puppets as part of a Sunday School program for the younger kids (Yes, I used to be a serious Bible thumper. . . which gave me more grief in school than the magic & puppets ever did).

BACK TO THE OP. . . I wouldn't chance a talent show unless you have a minimum of two months lead time; time to create a solid act/series of routines that look good, that you feel confident as well as comfortable with & about, and that you know for a fact, you can do flawlessly. My first dove act was created when I was about 14 and it sucked, but I still did it. Two years later it was winning awards. . . so be willing to fail but learn from each failure so you can improve on what you're doing, how you do it, etc. understanding that sometimes you age can be a negative but only because of the material you've chosen. . . there's been a lot of kid magicians far younger than you who've won numerous talent programs, so keep that in mind as well.

Best of luck!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results