Where Can I Learn This?

Sep 7, 2017
Hi! I recently stumbled upon this video. Does anyone know where I can learn the first trick he does where he guesses his mom's maiden name? Here is a link:

Thanks, Ryan

Reactions: Pranav Liju
Aug 15, 2017
Come on guys, come on...I like it.
It's a hot one.

Also, if anyone here tries to interact with the audience in the middle of a trick, remember...
images (8).jpeg

Aug 15, 2017
Hi! I recently stumbled upon this video. Does anyone know where I can learn the first trick he does where he guesses his mom's maiden name? Here is a link:

Thanks, Ryan
Check out Chris Ramsay's bad magic video, street magic edition tho...that has some spt comments for this guys to listen too.

I dunno why people call out on those videos of Chris. Admittedly, I might have been happier if he did more 'Reacting to Demon Magic' that 'Bad Magic'...but that guy can laugh at himself! That pretty much nullifies any

'Cyber-bullying'

dude its cool:cool: . just focusing on the trick and not the tagline:p . i hope you know that most mentalism effect on TV and youtube is only shown after the performer /magician/mentalist figures out the "name"(in this case) and there plenty of ways to figure it out . the version that i does involve the spectator to write what ever they think of in a paper and tear the paper . when i tear the paper i can figure out what they are thinking of already ,that's when the camera records and is shown in youtube or tv .their are plenty of methods out there just get one:).
hope it was valuable

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I genuinely liked "it's a hot one"

I genuinely question your artistic sensibilities. His performance pretty much shows everything that is wrong with the way magic is performed.

It is just a catch phrase, not really a big deal. I mean there is no such thing as a bad catchphrase!!!!

I'm sure that is what he thought too. Too bad he didn't have someone to tell him otherwise.

BAZINGA!​

No. Please. Just NO. I will hunt you down and beat you with a catfish.

Check out Chris Ramsay's bad magic video...

Which one? They all seem pretty bad to me.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Can't do it. I tried hard, just pausing it when I got irritated and coming back to it. 8 seconds, 25 seconds, 36 seconds - I'm out. Didn't even hear "That's a hot one".

This guy is doing everything you shouldn't do for mind reading. He clearly has the information ahead of time and he's just saying it. Teller calls this, "Saying nouns."

Effective mind reading creates the feeling of connection between the volunteer and the magician. In many cases there's no "tada" moment. This is why so many magicians are bad at it - magicians orient their performances around a series of "Tada"s, and they generally aren't very good at handling a more ambiguous climax, or any emotion other than excitement/laughter. This is obviously in general terms and I'm sure everyone can point at exceptions.

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
For me his presentation on the first trick seemed stalker-ish. Rather than being magical it came off for me like "I know something about your private life and you don't even know me". I would make sure to set my social media stuff to private after that encounter.

His approach for the next trick showed on the video was awkward too. If there wasn't someone filming I wonder what their reaction would be. Thats as far as I got in this video...I have seen his videos before where he performs at people rather than with them.

I don't mean to rag on the guy or pile on but it just sticks out enough where it has to be said.
And I may have tipped his method to the first trick...or at least the idea behind it.

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
Hmmm....after rereading the thread there are hints at how to do the trick but literature about it not so much.

I am not a mentalist so my advice won't be more than scratching the surface but to do tricks like the one in the video only better I would look at things by Max Maven. A heavy price tag sometimes accompanies his books though. Hopefully someone can give some better suggestions?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I didn't address the original question - Others have already said it. Most likely we're only seeing a small portion of the method being employed here. Essentially he's using some kind of "pre-show" to gather the information, and then rolling the camera after he's already gotten it.

Study the classic texts of mentalism, and maybe Peter Turner's STEM DVD if you can find it.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
First of all, Matthew is clearly a skilled magician. However, like everyone else has said, I cannot stand his presentation. I don't have that much of an issue with the "That's a hot one" but he kinda just goes from trick to trick with no context or transitions. His patter is pretty boring and he barely gives them time to react before moving on. When people don't react the way he expects he goes "Come on, I like that one". He's talked about how he doesn't want to interact with people in the middle of performing which reflects the issue many people have brought up about some magicians not having real social skills, and rely too heavily on magic as a crutch. All of his focus seems to be on "look how cool I am".

tl;dr I don't like him, but that's just my opinion.

Anyway, in one of his other videos when he does the maiden name trick, the girl he did it for was holding a business card in her hand. He probably just uses some sort of evil voodoo magic which requires selling your soul and cuts that part out of the video. Otherwise, there are literally dozens of ways to accomplish this trick. Read up on some mentalism fundamentals (13 Steps, Practical Mental Magic) and you'll find a plethora of ways to replicate this trick. Just make sure you don't perform it the way Matthew does. Add some flair. Make it more interesting than just "Your mom's maiden name is ______".

EDITED BY MODERATOR TO AVOID EXPOSURE

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RealityOne

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
In hindsight I probably shouldn't have mentioned the method directly but eh whatever. Mods, you can edit that out if you'd like. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Peter Slim
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results