Where Can I Learn This?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
For me his presentation on the first trick seemed stalker-ish.

Just a little...

he performs at people rather than with them.

That puts it in a nutshell.

And I may have tipped his method to the first trick...or at least the idea behind it.

Not so much... see Antonio's post for the real method :)

You made it that far?

I was determined.
In hindsight I probably shouldn't have mentioned the method directly but eh whatever. Mods, you can edit that out if you'd like. lol

FIXED IT.

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
REALLY UNPOPULAR OPINION:

I genuinely liked "it's a hot one" It is just a catch phrase, not really a big deal. I mean there is no such thing as a bad catchphrase!!!!

BAZINGA!​

I posted that without thinking. I should probably explain that for those who are confused.

There is a really bland T.V show called "Big Bang Theory". Its not really that good, but there is one part that even the most Die-hard fans can't stand. The main character's (Sheldon) catchphrase: "BAZINGA". It's super annoying, really bland and very unfunny. It basically means "fooled you" or "Gotcha". It is literally everything wrong with a bad catchphrase rolled up in one.

So yeah... there is an old saying in comedy "If you have to explain a joke, it didn't work":(

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
My reaction from the thumbnail:
I didn't know Christopher Walken did magic

More importantly, this thread was golden

I do think that using these cringey one liners in a performance can really help lighten the mood the first time, but if they're repeated, they just get annoying

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Mar 4, 2018
I'm going to play devil's advocate and give props to Matthew Furman.

I personally don't care one liners but I give him props for trying to differentiate himself and have something that people will associate with him. Doug Henning had the hippie look, David Blaine has the stoic sound/look with a black t-shirt, and Matthew Furman has "That's a hot one!" I respect the attempt made at trying to be his own performer. I think Matthew has a lot things he can't help as well with his appearance and voice. Someone mentioned him looking like Christopher Walken and others have said he comes off a bit "stalker-ish" but I attribute that to him being disadvantaged compared to most people when it comes to social situations. But after Chris Ramsay's videos of reacting to "bad magic" I guess cyber bullying people is cool now. (In fact, I think it was those videos that put Matthew Furman on the map).

I think it's easy to sit behind a computer screen and preach all day about how bad a filmed live performance is but it's another to put ourselves on the line and be vulnerable by uploading video performances. I think that this thread, Instagram, and other social platforms have shown the trend that the David Blaine style of magic videos is dying out. Now all the praise is given to people that perform solely to a camera and it becomes more about tricking a camera than entertaining people live. An argument can be made that since it's a video, it can still be entertaining which is true but I think it's not in the same category of entertainment as a filmed live performance. Performing to a camera allows you to mess up as many times as you want, edit it however you want, and control all aspects of the performance. A live performance you have to deal with performance nerves, random performance variables, and entertaining people in that exact moment without the possibility of a do over if you mess up. I've been on here for a while and I don't see a lot of you share any footage of your performances (with the exception of a few of course). I don't think people understand how difficult it is to organize someone to film and capture audio of a live performance on the streets. I certainly wish I could do it sometimes but man is it hard to put that kind of thing together. It takes a lot of effort and there is very little to no return on such an effort, at least in today's world.

Instead we give all merits and credibility of skill to the Instagram influencers that take the easier route of filming crazy good sleight of hand to a camera. We then cut down on live performers since they don't look as good as those who have uploaded the perfect take of a performance done to a camera. We value this style so much more so that it has influenced how magic companies produce magic trailers and more have jumped on board of dishing out a product without any live footage included. Others have taken the more controversial and easier route of coaching a "live" audience to react to magic that is being done to a camera to make it appear as if they are not only fooling the camera but entertaining people around them at the same time. Some have gained influence by revealing magic online regardless of the creators permission and the new trend is to make it comedic and thus go viral. Not only that but you might see influential people in the magic industry endorsing this type of video content. A most recent example of this would be Ellusionist's Adam Wilber endorsing a certain controversial magician I will not name and labeling his style of video as a part of "the hustle".

Due to observing the impending death (or maybe it's dead already?) of the David Blaine style of live magic videos, I am a bit more sympathetic to Matthew Furman and his videos. No I don't think he is the best performer in the world but I do think he is more technically skilled than Chris Ramsay. My unpopular opinion is that Chris Ramsay is a great social media influencer/online celebrity but not that great of a magician. I gained a little respect for Matthew Furman after he got put on blast by Chris Ramsay in one of his reaction videos. I watched as Matthew Furman responded to the criticism and tried to use it in a positive way and grow his own YouTube channel more. If you read the comment section on some of his videos from that time period you will see how receptive he is to feedback and genuinely cares about trying to make content that his fans want to see. I believe that is why his channel has grown to 44k and might even surpass someone like Ekaterina soon.

As far as the OP's original question, if you want to DM me I can tell you some of my favorite ways to obtain that specific information and point you to some good resources. Now if you will all excuse me I have to upload some Adam Wilber exposure videos that way I can get on that "hustle"....

Reactions: RealityOne

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
I'm going to play devil's advocate and give props to Matthew Furman.

I personally don't care one liners but I give him props for trying to differentiate himself and have something that people will associate with him....I think Matthew has a lot things he can't help as well with his appearance and voice.

I know many magicians use canned rhetoric and hack lines because they sometimes have a use but I am against it almost completely. Even popular magicians like Piff the Magic Dragon, Gazzo or Hannibal and so on use old jokes or catchphrases (especially with women) and I cringe every time they do. I really dislike the "no the clean hand" line or the wiggly eyebrows and suggestive comments towards women. Really I don't think Matthew is alone here on the issue of using hack/stock lines and getting called out for it.

I agree though that his appearance and voice are off limits to be called out on.

And here is an unpopular opinion, I don't like Gazzo. He is good at magic but I really dislike his personality and stage persona. I find most of his one liners dated and tone deaf which he seems oblivious to or defends as "jokes".

Someone mentioned him looking like Christopher Walken and others have said he comes off a bit "stalker-ish" but I attribute that to him being disadvantaged compared to most people when it comes to social situations.

Actually I said his presentation on the trick seemed stalkerish, not him. It's the difference between ad hominem attack and not, like saying someone is bad versus someones argument is bad.
His video just starts with him guessing someones mothers maiden name, no build up or discussion before. Now this can be an editing issue which I will touch on later but for now I'll stick with the presentation.

I further said he seems to perform at people rather than with. He rapid fires tricks with no getting to know the people or letting them react. Pointing out someones presentation is awkward is a valid critique. It can walk a fine line and I will agree my tone was off with my wording choice. When I wrote I didnt want to pile on that should have been a tell to myself that my comment in context of the other posts can be viewed as just what I didn't want to do...that is pile on.

I'll take note here and be more careful about how and when I chime in.

I think that this thread, Instagram, and other social platforms have shown the trend that the David Blaine style of magic videos is dying out.

Not sure I agree here. I see a rise in the instagram/camera performers but I'm not sure that will make live street /guerrilla magic die out. There are still plenty of street magic performers who post videos on youtube that get quite a few hits.

I don't think people understand how difficult it is to organize someone to film and capture audio of a live performance on the streets. I certainly wish I could do it sometimes but man is it hard to put that kind of thing together. It takes a lot of effort and there is very little to no return on such an effort, at least in today's world.

I kind of agree here, lots of people try to start a youtube channel and find out how tough it is. It doesn't take long for people to realize the error of their ways though. I think Matthew would benefit from having someone handle this for him as would most everyone. Magicians get people to manage their social media, utilize a graphic designer or have professionals make their business cards. Having some help with videos are no different. Some people can do a decent job of being their own editor, camera operator, lights, sound, and content creator....but not many. I think having someone handle edits for him would help his portrayals like with the guessing the maiden name trick. It could have been just a bad cut that accentuated the wrong feeling.

We were left with him going right to the end of the trick at the start of a video rather than a build up.

Instead we give all merits and credibility of skill to the Instagram influencers that take the easier route of filming crazy good sleight of hand to a camera.

Not sure I agree here either. Lots of people on this platform seem to voice their opinion against this idea of instagram or youtube performers being that great. I think magicians are savvy to the tricks you can do with multiple takes and non moving cameras but I won't argue that laypeople are probably thinking those magicians are the tip of the top.

I am a bit more sympathetic to Matthew Furman and his videos. No I don't think he is the best performer in the world but I do think he is more technically skilled than Chris Ramsay.

Possibly. He does know some decent tricks and has technical skills with the props he uses.

My unpopular opinion is that Chris Ramsay is a great social media influencer/online celebrity but not that great of a magician.

I don't think you are in the minority here although I will say there seems to be a split at the very least in the opinions of magicians on this subject. Now with laypeople that's possibly a different story.

I gained a little respect for Matthew Furman after he got put on blast by Chris Ramsay in one of his reaction videos. I watched as Matthew Furman responded to the criticism and tried to use it in a positive way and grow his own YouTube channel more. If you read the comment section on some of his videos from that time period you will see how receptive he is to feedback and genuinely cares about trying to make content that his fans want to see.

Props where props are due. Hopefully he continues with this and gets better at being more personable.

Reactions: RealityOne

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
@jasonkillsx, I don't think that the comments here were on his appearance but rather on his performance. There is nothing in his performance that develops his character except for an annoying catchphrase. As @JoshL8 said, he has a rapid-fire performance of tricks without any presentation or connection with the audience. My criticism of him is consistent with my criticism of most magician -- he is merely doing tricks with say-do-see patter (says what he is going to do, does it and then asks the audience to see the result). He is using the tricks as a substitute for a well developed presentation that goes beyond showing a "trick." Although magicians need differentiation, using a really bad catch phrase is not the way to do it -- developing an interesting, likable and entertaining character is the way to do it. Despite what magicians think, magic is not inherently interesting or entertaining. It takes effort on the part of the magician to develop a character and presentation that is interesting and entertaining.

I'm glad he is performing for a live audience. In my opinion, performing for a camera isn't real magic. I've also disagreed with Ramsay, Madison's and other's "alpha male" personas and with those who, under any excuse, expose magic for YouTube views. I think what works for magic in person is a lot different than what works for magic on YouTube. But I'll be honest, I don't pay attention to the YouTube performers and all the related "gossip"-- I'm too busy reading books.

I suppose the fact that I don't have a YouTube channel and don't post videos may discredit anything I say. However, I have my reasons. The first is that I think the performance of close-up magic is very personal and having someone film it takes away from the experience. The second is that I don't want to put presentation pieces that I've worked on for years out there for people to copy. The third is that performing for a video camera is very different than performing for a live person -- and I don't have the time to adapt my performances so that the look good from the camera angles and don't reveal the method when watched a 100 times.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I didn't say anything about his looks or voice (Though I do think he could do with some vocal training).

It does take guts to get out there and perform for live audiences. But that does not, by default, mean it's good. One of the more difficult things to learn is how to watch a video of yourself performing and being able to say, "No. This isn't good."

My objection is that the performances themselves are bland. I mean, opening few seconds, someone these people supposedly do not know at all was able to tell them information he should have no way of knowing. Their reaction was a slightly awkward chuckle. That's because there was nothing for them to frame the revelation with - no context, no connection. It's an objectively bad performance. Watch someone like Derren Brown do a routine like this and the person looks like they just had a religious experience.

The audience is always asking "Who is this person?" and "Why do I care what they are doing?" - He didn't answer either of those questions.

So, if he's taking criticism and trying to improve his performances, that's great. But that does not mean he's actually creating good content yet.

And the argument that I haven't posted my own performances is irrelevant. I have many reasons for not posting my work online, not the least of which is that I'm not ready to see my stuff copied (and butchered by folks who don't understand why it works). But I -know- I can't create a video that would do my work justice at this time. I've got hours of footage that is unusable for online videos for a variety of reasons. I'm not about to post videos just to have them up and validate myself for a community that frankly doesn't pay my bills.

I don't think Blaine style guerrilla magic is going to die out completely, but there have been and continue to be so many people who don't understand why it worked for him, that it doesn't have the punch it once had. Just like how not so long ago, just being able to do a magic trick automatically gave someone a point of interest to others, but now so many people know tricks, and so many people have seen videos of people performing online, that you actually have to be at least a little good to impress people.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results