Where to perform

Jun 22, 2010
I've been showing tricks/performing for friends, family, family friends, a few strangers at parties and etc, but I wanted to perform more, and for more/different people. Any suggestions where and how?
I do close up, mostly cards, but I'm just starting with coins, about a month ago, so I'm still a beginner with coins. I couldn't do shows because I do mostly cards. Or could I? What do you think?

Any advice?

Thank you.

I like performing anywhere that feeling to perform. Malls are good. I also recommend if there is a local festival or something similar in your area to perform there because chances are people there are looking for some fun.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Think about a place near you that is full of people from teens to older people where they are just walking around, hanging out.

After that first sentence I feel like I'm going into a mentalist effect haha! What if I named this place you were thinking of? lol!

Anyhow, malls are always good, book stores, coffee shops, etc. We go perform at a place called the Woodlands. It is an outdoor shopping center (with a mall right next to it) and we just walk around, go into the book store, starbucks, and perform for people outside.

Where ever you go, you want to try to catch people that are just hanging out. Read the people before you go up to them (hell even evesdrop if you have to...I'll go into that in a sec. lol) If the person(s) look in a rush or remotely busy, or like they are trying to get somewhere, don't approach them.

The reason I said evesdrop is because there was this group of guys who looked like they were just chillin hanging out. My friend Cody walks up to them and asks if they'd like to see some magic. They looked at him and said "Dude, we are having a discussion about God." Luckily, one guy stepped out to talk to us about God and also let us show him some magic.

Ultimately, we were there for roughly 8-10 hours just hanging out and performing...if you count the above story, we got turned down twice the entire time.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Think about a place near you that is full of people from teens to older people where they are just walking around, hanging out.

After that first sentence I feel like I'm going into a mentalist effect haha! What if I named this place you were thinking of? lol!

Anyhow, malls are always good, book stores, coffee shops, etc. We go perform at a place called the Woodlands. It is an outdoor shopping center (with a mall right next to it) and we just walk around, go into the book store, starbucks, and perform for people outside.

Where ever you go, you want to try to catch people that are just hanging out. Read the people before you go up to them (hell even evesdrop if you have to...I'll go into that in a sec. lol) If the person(s) look in a rush or remotely busy, or like they are trying to get somewhere, don't approach them.

The reason I said evesdrop is because there was this group of guys who looked like they were just chillin hanging out. My friend Cody walks up to them and asks if they'd like to see some magic. They looked at him and said "Dude, we are having a discussion about God." Luckily, one guy stepped out to talk to us about God and also let us show him some magic.

Ultimately, we were there for roughly 8-10 hours just hanging out and performing...if you count the above story, we got turned down twice the entire time.

Good advice...if you are not performing for money, then it´s malls are a good choice...since you are beggining maybe you should go with some friends...then alone...

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Good advice...if you are not performing for money, then it´s malls are a good choice...since you are beggining maybe you should go with some friends...then alone...

Also, thanks Luis for mentioning going with friends! My friends Cody and Anthony are the reason I can approach people. I wouldn't have done that if it wasn't for them. I think going with friends is GREAT and I think is a lot more fun. Of course, you don't want to always have them with you at a paid gig but going out and performing street magic for fun...I find that having friends there REALLY helps a LOT!

Jun 22, 2010
Wow, thanks. Mall sounds like a great idea, I can't this week, but I'll try it out next week. One question, who should I approach? At the mall, people are usually walking to a specific place, or eating, I don't think any of these would be good people to show magic. So who?

I was thinking of doing some for a retirement home close to my house also. Do you think that people that age would enjoy magic?

Also, now that I've been doing magic for over 4 years, how could I start doing it for money? Where? I just want to start out.

Thank you.

Look for people who seem bored (a guy waiting for his girlfriend) and anyone who could use some cheering up. Retirement homes would be great!

As for trying to make money with magic, I would say to wait until you have more experience with performing for people. Make sure you are comfortable with being put on the spot.

Jun 22, 2010
Look for people who seem bored (a guy waiting for his girlfriend) and anyone who could use some cheering up. Retirement homes would be great!
Great, Thanks!

As for trying to make money with magic, I would say to wait until you have more experience with performing for people. Make sure you are comfortable with being put on the spot.
I agree that I need more experience, but not much more, because I`ve performed in parties and stuff, but as a volunteer, and it went great the times I did, but I`ve never done shows (only for people that aren`t strangers, but not actually shows). But I do have some experience. For when I feel I have enough, which I think is soon, what are some places that magicians perform? Just to have an idea.
Thank you.

Mar 21, 2010
The Earth
Senior homes. I love performing at senior homes. It sounds odd, I know, expect the most appreciatory people, (and sometimes the most generous are the elderly. My father is a priest, so I often go with him when he visits assisted living homes or things of that sort. They often need cheering up, as mentioned above. Furthermore, you have the option of individual rooms, or large crowds...
Just a thought.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results