Why I do magic...

Sep 1, 2007
I had a realization today. One might say it was something I already knew and re-realized.

In short, I was eating lunch and was approached by a few girls who saw me playing with my cards. They asked to see some magic so I did a few quick tricks to get them to leave. They got pretty excited and were quite frankly astounded. However, at one point during my third and final trick, I flashed a pass and got called out on it. As a result, the reactions for the last trick were just plain bad. You've probably all heard this one: [disappointedly] "...oh, I saw how you did that..."

That flash has been really been bugging me all day, and I've figured out why. It's not as if it's the first time I've ever flashed, but it's one of the first times that it really killed my presentation.

What I realized is that I'm not into magic for me. It's not something that I necessarily do just for myself. These girls sought me out because they wanted to see something that would astonish them, and by flashing a move, I sort of anti-astonished them. I took the magic away.

This is a part of something larger that I've been thinking about lately. Why does magic work? There are numerous answers to this, but the most obvious one is tattooed onto Daniel Madison's arm. People want to be fooled.

So by messing up today, I squelched that desire. So that brings me to the larger point: why I work hard at magic. It's not for me. If nobody would notice, I'd probably do every move sloppily. But the fact is people do notice. Yes, they want to be fooled, but they aren't stupid. It's my job to preserve the feeling of astonishment in others and make it flourish, make it endure.

Nov 18, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
Totally agree with you. A lot of magicians nowadays are so caught up with looking for their own style that they forget their true purpose- to entertain the spectator. For example, one kid could be like "OMG i can do a one handed double! I'm going to add it to my ACR because it looks cool and theres no way anyone would suspect me being able to do anything sneaky one handed!" A spectator would probably look at this guy's ACR and think "wow...if he can do this trick one handed, then his two-handed tricks must be really sneaky. He just has fast hands..it's definitely not magic." That is when our magic suffers.
Anyways, well said. I got a little carried away, but often times, i need to remind myself as well :p

EDIT: LOL I wrote "shuffles" instead of "suffers". Im so screwed for exams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 11, 2008
Neww Jerseyy
Wow really deep, but what i realized is the reason why you Flashed is because like you said, "i did a couple quick tricks so they would leave" that point on i new something was bad. You have to want to astonish someone until the point you got them bealiveing in magic, and you have to WANT to perform.

Sep 1, 2007
Wow really deep, but what i realized is the reason why you Flashed is because like you said, "i did a couple quick tricks so they would leave" that point on i new something was bad. You have to want to astonish someone until the point you got them bealiveing in magic, and you have to WANT to perform.

Well, yeah.

I was eating lunch. I wanted to eat lunch. That was obviously part of the problem, though. If I'm going to play with my cards in public, I've got to be ready to do what I'm basically advertising.

But I see what you're saying. It's not enough to do magic for others. I have to want to do it for others. Good point.

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Well, yeah.

I was eating lunch. I wanted to eat lunch. That was obviously part of the problem, though. If I'm going to play with my cards in public, I've got to be ready to do what I'm basically advertising.

But I see what you're saying. It's not enough to do magic for others. I have to want to do it for others. Good point.

I learned that early on in magic if your gonna have cards out you are gonna have to use them.

(Why do I sound like a mother lecturing her kid Weird........)

-Michael

Sep 1, 2007
So, I'd like to pursue this question of why magic works. We've got the very broad, "people want to be fooled," but what about the deeper implications of this question and the other factors surrounding it?

Take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWo8fv2ZNpw

What does this tell us? Does it say that people aren't looking or that they just don't care? Why will somebody voluntarily sit down and be lied to?

And why do they interpret it as some supernatural force? What is it about a card trick--about moving cards around (or coins for that matter)--that fascinates people? How is it that we can convince them of our lies?

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Why will somebody voluntarily sit down and be lied to?
I've heard Paul Harris (and coincidentally David Blaine) say it best: Magic strips away all of our layers and brings us back to a childlike state of astonishment. Children have little worries and think anything is possible. Magic brings us back to that state of mind.

For that brief moment of astonishment, nothing else matters.

Sep 1, 2007
I've heard Paul Harris (and coincidentally David Blaine) say it best: Magic strips away all of our layers and brings us back to a childlike state of astonishment. Children have little worries and think anything is possible. Magic brings us back to that state of mind.

For that brief moment of astonishment, nothing else matters.

Oh, absolutely. Actually, I wrote my college essay on that subject. It's buried here somewhere...

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=2510&highlight=college+essay

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
Lovin' this post :)

I cannot agree more. It is truly astounding the way magic has changed with the internet. Now, instead of trying to learn a trick to present it to a spectator without flashing, instead, we are doing a trick to upload to youtube, and just edit over some parts that we flash on (speed up, put subtitle...etc.) and it really is a shame.

Sep 1, 2007
I cannot agree more. It is truly astounding the way magic has changed with the internet. Now, instead of trying to learn a trick to present it to a spectator without flashing, instead, we are doing a trick to upload to youtube, and just edit over some parts that we flash on (speed up, put subtitle...etc.) and it really is a shame.

Don't even get me started. There was another huge discussion on that topic a while ago...

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=1769&highlight=stop+performing+video+camera

Jan 14, 2008
philippines

been reading and i totally agree.... we just have accept that when we started learning this art its our obligation to astonish people make them feel things they dont usually feel everyday... make them believe.....

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results