Will Thread be dangerous?

Sep 2, 2007
I'm going into eye surgery sometime in december and I was wondering that if I use the geek method, it could potentially damage my eyesight.

I was also wondering can it be performed it both eyes?

Oct 25, 2008
Michigan
I shouldn't harm you at all. Some people have said it is a little uncomfortable but it will not damage your eyesight. I'm certainly not an expert though, if your concerned buy the trick, and ask your optometrist if it will harm you and to what extent. If you find it will, or you don't like the geek method you can always use the slight method it is great. I actually prefer the slight method. And yes, both methods can be performed in both eyes very easily.

Sep 1, 2007
After the huge controversy with Warning potentially having the long term effects of smoking, and a lot of disclaimers about Control being totally safe, I'm sure they wouldn't sell an effect that actually COULD be dangerous.

D

Deleted member 2755

After the huge controversy with Warning potentially having the long term effects of smoking, and a lot of disclaimers about Control being totally safe, I'm sure they wouldn't sell an effect that actually COULD be dangerous.

In all honesty, Warning really isn't dangerous. Just my opinion anyway. I think America as a whole is all hyped up on the whole "Smoking a cigarette will kill you" thing. (I don't actually smoke myself nor will I, but those are my views on the subject.) Will smoking kill you? If you do it every day and several times, then yes. However, I don't think the occasional smoke will kill you. Warning is a trick that barely requires much. If you did this trick every day for the rest of your life, I doubt anything bad would come out of it.

As for Control, you aren't ACTUALLY stopping your pulse. You are giving the ILLUSION of stopping your pulse. (That's the whole point of this being a magic TRICK.)

For Thread though, if you own it, you'll know the difference between these two tricks and the geek method. I don't own the right kind of thread to perform this, so I can't really do the geek method correctly. (Bad experience when I tried it with the wrong kind.:p)

However, the sleight method should work fine. I have not yet made the gimmick for it, but it should work fine. The fact I'm seeing some people saying that they don't like the sleight method really disappoints me. What people need to understand is that they are the same thing. The audience sees the exact same thing. However, I think the methodology of the the sleight method lead people to be disappointed and think to themselves "Hmmm... I don't really like this."

All I know is that risking your actual EYE VISION over this is just dumb. I have yet to try the geek method with the correct kind of thread, but if I feel any sort of discomfort or unsafe in any way, I'm going to stop using it. I advise everyone else to do the same. Are you willing to actually sacrifice your eyes so that way you can perform this one effect? Make the gimmick and do it with the sleight method. For your own sake.

-Doug

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia

A little off topic, but, why wouldn't Control be totally safe?
And, how many times a day do you have to perform Warning, to get those effects?

D

Deleted member 2755

A little off topic, but, why wouldn't Control be totally safe?
And, how many times a day do you have to perform Warning, to get those effects?

A lot of people thought they knew the methods for Control before it came out. A lot of people also thought that even if it wasn't the method everyone was thinking of, stopping your pulse at all is unsafe.

That's why there were disclaimers. It was to show everyone that thought the method would be dangerous actually isn't.

-Doug

Sep 2, 2007
Alright thanks guys, I can always use the other eye or just use the sliehgt method.

I'll ask my optomitrist, Because I can't afford to feck up my good eye.

D

Deleted member 2755

Alright thanks guys, I can always use the other eye or just use the sliehgt method.

I'll ask my optomitrist, Because I can't afford to feck up my good eye.

Chances are, your doctor will say its absolutely bad for you. If your eye became infected, hes probably worried about a lawsuit. ;)

-Doug

Sep 3, 2007
All I know is that risking your actual EYE VISION over this is just dumb. I have yet to try the geek method with the correct kind of thread, but if I feel any sort of discomfort or unsafe in any way, I'm going to stop using it. I advise everyone else to do the same. Are you willing to actually sacrifice your eyes so that way you can perform this one effect? Make the gimmick and do it with the sleight method. For your own sake.

-Doug

Yea I agree. Don't own it but I'm thinking about it.

This just reminded me in the Prestige when he chops off his fingers so he can do the "Bouncing Ball" trick.

Oct 31, 2007
im one of the people who actualy have thread, try it, and have problems with it. But i dont think it "dangerous" i think u have to take care when u are prepearing it.
Im havin troubles with the geek method, and im thinking of going to an eye doctor (dont know the english for that, sorry) and ask him how i can solve this. i think people like me who feel pain doing it, have dry eyes, i also cannot use contact lens without a previous treatment, so i will see what the doc says. but anyways i dont think its dangerous if u do the things wayne says with care. And also think that there must be a solution for people like me that have this problem.

D

Deleted member 2755

This is a little off topic, but could you do this trick with contacts in? I assume no.

Hey and welcome to the forums. :)

I REALLY doubt it. I have yet to try it yet, but I HIGHLY doubt it. I don't see it happening.

As for the other people that are saying they are going to see their eye doctor, I'm telling you, they will automatically say its bad for your eyes. They are probably right too. However, I'm still going to wait until I get my correct thread.

-Doug

Nov 25, 2008
Hey and welcome to the forums. :)

I REALLY doubt it. I have yet to try it yet, but I HIGHLY doubt it. I don't see it happening.

As for the other people that are saying they are going to see their eye doctor, I'm telling you, they will automatically say its bad for your eyes. They are probably right too. However, I'm still going to wait until I get my correct thread.

-Doug

Thanks. I'll have to wait and see what other people say. I might have an advantage with this since I use contacts and I put things in my eye daily.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
If your asking your doctor im sure that every doctor would say its dangerous and you should not do it.

I dont think that Thread will hurt most people, but everyone is different and someone can be more sensitive then the other.

I personaly likes the Sleight of hand method better, i think its easier to performe and set up and use when your out performing and it almost looks the same. If you did both methods for a spectator they would say its the same tricks, they dont care about the small details that we do.

Allot of the times it seems like people are not happy with a cool trick, they want a cool method aswell dont care about the method care about what is most practical for you.

Sep 1, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
you need to be comfortable with touching your eyeball and the only way to get there is practice. my eyes were slightly irritated and red as well as a little tender when I was just learning but with practice it goes away and your eye gets used to it. the first morning i woke up after practicing the previous day i had my entire right eye covered in sleep eye(the stuff that you rub out of the corner of your eye when you first wake up) and i had to almost pry my eye open but besides that I'm assuming Wayne has already consulted with an optometrist before he decided to release this so it cant have any damaging effects to the eye. Other then that I believe worse things have been done with the eye such as passing a needle from eye to eye or teller did it with beans. so I'm willing to bet thread is less dangerous then a needle.

Sep 2, 2007
I'll buy it and see what happens. I've rubbed the crap out of my eye with the back of ym and and it doesn't hurt or I'll just use the sliehgt method, maybe even gypsy thread.

I bought control and still have yet to do that trick and it might be the same way, life isn't fun if we don't take risks.

D

Deleted member 2755

I'll buy it and see what happens. I've rubbed the crap out of my eye with the back of ym and and it doesn't hurt or I'll just use the sliehgt method, maybe even gypsy thread.

I bought control and still have yet to do that trick and it might be the same way, life isn't fun if we don't take risks.

Life isn't fun if you don't take risks. However, would your really risk your EYE SIGHT over a magic trick? ;)

I have tried the sleight method 2 days ago. I did not like it because you cannot show your eye as cleanly. Saying the geek method and sleight method look the same is false. They don't. I suppose if you didn't show your eye cleanly in the geek version then it would look the same.:rolleyes: I think I've played around with Thread enough to finally write a review. I'm currently in North Carolina for Thanksgiving with relatives so I'm not going to write a review right now. However, I'll type it up either Saturday night or sometime Sunday.

-Doug

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results