Wisdom from Magic Live 2011

Hello everyone! As I lay in my bed resting, and meditating on some of the wonderful experiences I've had here in Las Vegas at Magic Live I have been thinking how truly amazing this convention has been this year. Both in the amazing shows, and educational focus panels, as well as the awesome people you get to meet and hang out with.

I wanted to take a minute out of my day, and go back through my notes I've taken so far and share some quotes, and pearls of wisdom with you folks, the ones unable to attend this convention for what ever reason it may be. I realize that sharing everything with you devalues the cost of my admission, so out of respect for the presenters, and the convention I won't do that. But I hope a few of these little insights that I can share with you will be worth your time reading this thread, and I hope it will not only help you grow, but also spark more intellectual discussions on the boards.

There really isn't a format to the information I'll share. It's just there. As you read through it, understand that I'm writing it as a stream of flowing thought. There isn't structure, or form. It just exists to exist.

I'll start with Giovanni Livera's opening monologue from the general session on Monday about "it".

It
You can't beg for it
You can't borrow it
You can't steal it

If you have it
You know you have it
If you don't have it
Look for it

If you have talent for it
You may have it
If you have passion for it
You may have it
If you have talent
and passion for it
You've got it

Everyone has an it
Find it
Cherish it
Grow it
Share it
That's it.

What I like about this monologue is that as simple and poetic as it is, it really inspires me to continue searching for my "it".

The following is a quote from Lou Serrano's motivational lecture on the Business side of Show Business.

"A lobster, when left high and dry among the rocks, does not have the sense enough to work his way back to the sea, but waits for the sea to come to him. If it does not come, he remains where he is and dies, although the slightest effort would enable him to reach the waves, which are perhaps within a yard of him. The world is full of human lobsters; people stranded on the rocks of indecision and procrastination, who instead of putting forth their own energies, are waiting for some grand billow of good fortune to set them afloat." - Orison Swett Marden

Lou also went on to drop this pearl of wisdom when he said "Knowledge without action, is useless." which is a powerful reminder that just because we know how to do something, unless we are actively trying to pursue doing it, executing it, and achieving it, it won't happen. It's not enough to want to be a magician, for example, but you must also go out there and BE a magician.

Ken Scott in his lecture about marketing the family friendly show has this quote to share "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." ~Maya Angelou

What a powerful statement. It's not enough that we learn how to do card tricks, or that we go out there among the people and perform for them, but the magic really happens in their minds when we establish some kind of personal connection with them. If you want to be remembered for something more than "that guy who did that one thing..." then connect emotionally with your audience, and leave them with an experience not a puzzle.

There's also been this underlying theme this year promoting the advantages of learning from books over learning from visual media such as DVD's. A lot of what they pointed out isn't without merit. There's some wonderful things in books that were invented years ago, that no one is doing anymore now days. It's a virtual gold mine waiting for someone to do a little research, and rediscover the mountains of information contained in these lost treasures. However book collecting can become a tedious, and expensive process. Good thing we have the internet! A lot of the old books have lost copy right protection and have entered open domain. They can be downloaded as PDF's for free at www.thelearnedpig.com.pa You now have no excuse to not collect and learn from the masters that have come before us.

I'll bring this post to a close with this last quote, again from Lou. "People will forgive you for making mistakes, or messing up, but what they won't forgive you for is being boring."

I'll let you chew on that last one for a bit. With yet one more day left to go in this convention, I'm excited to see what more tomorrow will bring!

Cheers,
Draven

Thank you for your appreciation Rick, I was getting slightly annoyed that some other ego stroking post about getting oneself famous was getting more response than a thread with solid gold nuggets of wisdom that could be used to improve oneself. I'm glad that someone out there appreciated this post.

"A lobster, when left high and dry among the rocks, does not have the sense enough to work his way back to the sea, but waits for the sea to come to him. If it does not come, he remains where he is and dies, although the slightest effort would enable him to reach the waves, which are perhaps within a yard of him. The world is full of human lobsters; people stranded on the rocks of indecision and procrastination, who instead of putting forth their own energies, are waiting for some grand billow of good fortune to set them afloat." - Orison Swett Marden

I really liked that quote. Must have been a great experience being there. Thanks for sharing.

I know right? There was so many interesting points brought up about theory this year, I wish I could share them all. Really you have to be focused on the experience, not the trick, in order to really be a successful magician.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Thanx for the post Draven. Hope you will post the experience of the second day also. I will discuss more on performance and experience of magic once I get back to the land of free internet, in about 3 weeks.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
Nice Draven. I greatly appreciate that fact that you spent the time with this thread. The last quote about being boring reminds me of all the videos out there with no patter but with music. I have been working on coin magic a lot lately, and all I see are videos of coin work with music in the background. Very few times actually have patter. Thanks again.

Nov 27, 2009
That quote about being boring hits home for me. I had one experience where I did an ACR that was just terrible from a technical standpoint, but thankfully I wasn't being paid, and my audience was rather forgiving. After my blunder of an ACR one of the spectators said something like, "You're a good showman." I thanked him and went on with my day thinking about the implications of what had just happened. I had just done the worst ACR I think I've ever done, and yet my audience was forgiving and in the end they commented on my showmanship. I'm not sure where else to go with this, so I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

I use www.thelearnedpig.com.pa all the time, and it is an invaluable resource. There are probably at least 100 books on there including Erdnase, Bobo's Coin Magic, Houdin's memoirs and his book explaining his methods and other amazing books.

Jamie D. Grant

theory11 columnist
Oct 12, 2008
Vancouver
www.cardsinabottle.com
I think some more Wisdom would be advice a friend of mine gave me many years ago:

"If you want to get discovered, be awesome."

This goes directly to William Draven, who I had the absolute pleasure of meeting in person at Magic Live. He is 100% awesome.

Jamie: You sir are amazing! It was such an honor hanging out with you and your amazing Industrial Revolution. If you guys don't know what that is, BEG Jamie to sell you one. It's one of the best close up not a card tricks you'll see this year. Period. Draven Seal of Approval, and I don't even need to own it to give that!

Andrei, I was wondering why I didn't see you, but I assumed you were busy filming with Bayme. Next time! I -should- be performing in November in closeup at Wonderground. If you're not busy, I'll see you then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results