World's greatest magic trick?

May 17, 2009
United Kingdom
Hello theory 11 forum,
I've decided to do a little poll on what magicians believe is the greatest magic trick they know or they have seen. If you would be kind enough to take a bit of time to write down the name of the trick, the magician who created it, the effect and your own personal views of it and experiences.
Thanks very much,
Josh

“Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.”

First off let me say that this is highly subjective to the individuals views and opinions who write a response to this thread.

Secondly allow me to add that my views are my own and could not be considered or taken to be the be all - end all authority on the subject.

Lastly, I would like to reword my response from "I think the worlds greatest magic trick is..." to "My favorite effect in the world is..."

With that being said I'll continue.

My favorite effect in the world is the production of a large object, animal, or vehicle, on stage in front of a live audience. This is a great example of visual magic, and often one effect that people only see done on TV therefor they assume that it's just a camera trick. The live stage production removes that possibility and adds just that much more wonderment to the effect. I can't be sure who first invented this concept, but the earliest I can recall is Houdini making an Elephant vanish back in the early 1900's.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
There's no such thing as the best magic trick in the world. Some tricks are good in some situations but may be terrible in others. Plus, different people have different styles, so they will have different preferences in magic tricks.

If you really wanna know, my favorite is is Extreme Burn by Richard Sanders. Mostly cuz lots of people like mone and it has a huge emotional hook. In my opinion, it's the closest thing to real magic you can get. But that's only my opinion, i'm sure many other people will think otherwise.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
i would have to go with either Teller's shadow routine or slydini's paper balls over the head.

Teller's shadow routine is a beautiful piece of magic that transcends just illusion and becomes a poignant examply of performance art and a almost grotesque display or mortality. I am always blown away when i watch it. It truly is an simply stunning piece of magic and although it may not be the most extravagant or jaw dropping display i think it has something a lot of tricks dont. Elegance

Slydini's paper balls is just a crowd pleaser. Slydini was a true master of misdirection and no routine better displays this then the paper balls routine. Not only are you performing jaw dropping magic for one individual but it involved the entire crowd and really works them into a frenzy and does wonders for audience involvement nad overall enthusiasm in a show. again, not the most shocking trick or the most ingenious method but the structure of the trick and the reactions it accomplish's make it a real gem.

Dec 15, 2008
Modesto, Califorrnia
err.. Isn't that the point of the thread? What in do YOU believe is the greatest magic trick? Of course everybody is going to have a different opinion.

Anyways, I liked David Copperfield's teleport. It holds special in my heart because that's one of the first magic tricks I've seen in person

Hello theory 11 forum,
I've decided to do a little poll on what magicians believe is the greatest magic trick they know or they have seen. If you would be kind enough to take a bit of time to write down the name of the trick, the magician who created it, the effect and your own personal views of it and experiences.
Thanks very much,
Josh
Blaine's thing he did when he removed the lady's teeth and blew them back in....i wish i knew that effect...

Mar 2, 2008
c'mon!

Just answer the question! He posted this to here what our favorite effects are not us saying that everyone is different and some work here and some work here!

I like Kevin James appearing bowling ball from sketch pad, it seems like it just leaves a scar of magic on people... Kind of like harry potter!

Sep 1, 2007
If not counting flying around in broad daylight or shooting fireballs...

Put one card on the table. Have someone name any card. Have them turn over the card. It's the named card. Repeat.

Personal. Direct. Impossible.

Too bad nobody can do that.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX

Put one card on the table. Have someone name any card. Have them turn over the card. It's the named card. Repeat.

Daniel Madison can.
Well,after psychological suggestion.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time

Not to mention Derren Brown or pretty much any other mentalist out there.

Jul 2, 2008
Thatz 1 wher u putz the 4 jaks in2 the dek and tey finds the top of teh dk.

LOL JUST KIDDING. (bet that pissed some people off) My favourite effect to perform, Fiber Optics hands down by Richard Sanders. So simple to perform, visual and basically foolproof. AMAZING reactions, and if you haven't heard of it or haven't done it, please do so. NOW.

Ill say The Advocate. I love it. I always get amazing reactions with it.

OR

Living and Dead test. Only I do not like to do it with actual living and dead names, but instead I make them do it with important dates in their life, then, with some luck and cold reading, tell them what the date was to them.

Dec 10, 2007
I like it when Chris Angel had everyone in a church and then acted like he was possessed...................no not really.

Jul 8, 2008
Tintagel

I wouldn't be to sure on that....

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results