Your Strongest Effects

Jan 18, 2009
This is not a "What should I buy?" thread but a much easier question that relates to what you like.

What is your strongest effect that gets the craziest reactions and the most "How the insert word did you just do that?" This question may help a few people look at some effects that may be a little unknown and for the others that have some extra cash.

I do not have any intention of trying to allow people access of underground effects or what not. I also have no intention of asking people what others should buy.

The craziest reactions I get is with my new trick Behold the Scarabaeus, the main reason is because it is an unexplainable trick that is unique to laymen and is just the coolest thing to them.

Jan 28, 2009
Whangarei, New Zealand.
This is not a "What should I buy?" thread but a much easier question that relates to what you like.

What is your strongest effect that gets the craziest reactions and the most "How the insert word did you just do that?" This question may help a few people look at some effects that may be a little unknown and for the others that have some extra cash.

I do not have any intention of trying to allow people access of underground effects or what not. I also have no intention of asking people what others should buy.

The craziest reactions I get is with my new trick Behold the Scarabaeus, the main reason is because it is an unexplainable trick that is unique to laymen and is just the coolest thing to them.

I'd say either Burn and Angle Zero by DM (I have them both in one routine). And Stigmata.

I strongly recommend all here who haven't already done so to read the two book "strong Magic" and "Creating Miracles". They are both great books and give you the information needed to tune any trick into the sort of thing your talking about here.

Once again "It's all about presentation."

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
Ever since I've started one of the first tricks I learned (not including the tricks"I'll lay for rows of cards out and you tell me what row your card is in each time") was Bodyguards by Jay Sankey (It's a card trick). It's amazing, and I've performed it so many times that I've figured out how to get maximum reactions.
The best part is that it's impromptu. I spend hours preparing tricks like Riot and after I perform it I hear "That's awesome, my friend said you do a REALLY crazy one with bodyguards or something? Do that one.".

So that's my hidden gem. Bodyguards, it's very amazing, very practical, VERY easy, impromptu and with the correct presentation can be made into that trick that the spectator will remember after the show and tell their friends about.

I have this effect that I do every time I get my hair cut. Its called Mirrors, Here is quick explanation of what happens. A card is selected and signed ya'da'da. The it's shown to a mirror (face towards the mirror), but instead of the face of the card showing in the mirror the back is with the signature. Then with a click the face appers in the mirror, hope that made sense. And its impromptu. As I said I do every time I go to get my hair cut, the hair dressers love it. But on the fly I would say just a regular force and reveal.

JDEN

Jan 13, 2008
Honestly, the Biddle trick has been my reputation maker. One of my favourite reactions was from my girlfriend's cousin...she went nuts when I showed it to her...totally blew her away.

It's always the simple ones that work the best for me, so I can play up the presentation and really make it a miracle. This is why I enjoy going over really old books/manuscripts and seeing what I can find in there, they tend to be a wonderful untapped goldmine. :)

Jul 29, 2008
c

like cm673, the biddle trick is my best "reaction thing." i learned it when i started magic a couple years ago and i never stopped performing it.but other than that, i would say tic tac-paul harris and las vegas leaper-also by paul harris get great reactions.

Jan 13, 2008
I should note that while Biddle is one of my favourite fallback effects, I tend to perform mentalism far more than I perform any other "genre" of magic. So, with that, I should probably mention one of my favourite mentalism effects:

Hair by Daniel Garcia gets HUGE reactions for me, although I don't get the chance to perform it all that often, because I'm really selective about my audience for this effect. Depending on how one performs it, this can be an amazing experience for the audience, and especially those involved in the effect. :)

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Probably my most consistent and strongest effect would be my OotW (Out of this World). They only yell sometimes. But they go away thinking about life every time. I know one person has done something to change their life because of it. Magic.

Dec 8, 2007
For Me it is Interlace By Rich Sanders, Borrow ring, spectator hold it, with a snap make it disappers and in the second it is tied to shoelace, Killer

H have to say, I love card magic, Panic and Witness are the best tricks, but once i performed for old peolple(50+) and when i show cards they don't like it. but when i borrow ring every body love it.

Jul 8, 2008
Tintagel
well if you want a trick that will get reactions everytime have a card selected/signed palm it undo your zip of your trousers and pull out the card from your groin that will make people scream!

Just don't do it all the time you don't want to get a funny reputation!

After I do it I usally tell them to be worried on how many I keep down there!

have fun

Matt

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
It's cool to see someone else with enter the scarabaeus - It's a cool trick :)

I find that my spoons get the most consistently strong reactions - really killer stuff when it's done right :)

Also, Bang-on! by Marc Oberon gets me very strong reactions, again, when done right you can very effectively close a table with it.

D.

Nu Sense
Signagram
Serial Number Divination
Angle Zero
Stigmata
Lie Detector #2

These are pretty much the only effects I do which I didn't make, and I'd only do about 4 or 5 of mine these days anyway, but it's more than enough.
Oh and, yes. I do like Alain Nu

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
It's cool to see someone else with enter the scarabaeus - It's a cool trick :)

I find that my spoons get the most consistently strong reactions - really killer stuff when it's done right :)

Also, Bang-on! by Marc Oberon gets me very strong reactions, again, when done right you can very effectively close a table with it.

D.

Funnily enough, I was just thinking of that effect today. Is it worth the money? It's fairly epicly expensive.

EJ

Mar 4, 2008
Canada
I would have to say 82 by Daniel Madison. The majority of the reactions I get are people with a look of pure astonishment on their face.

Dec 29, 2008
Colorado
Color Monte. Impromtu with cards out of a regular deck. My orginal monte cards got washed in a coat pocket :(. Its ene of my personal favorites to perform, and probally some of the best reactions.

I also get great reactions from Dr. Daley's last trick. Thow is some patter about a guessing game, or monte style game. Works great in bars.

Nov 29, 2008
Probably my most consistent and strongest effect would be my OotW (Out of this World). They only yell sometimes. But they go away thinking about life every time. I know one person has done something to change their life because of it. Magic.

In most cases, instead of Ootw, especially for some of my magic-esque friends who have seen it, i use Out of this Universe from Harry Lorayne's close up card magic.
Also,
Stop! by Harry Lorayne
Stigmata by Wayne Houchin
Heat 4 by Nick Elmsley
Kaleidoscope cards by Roy Walton
Those get my greatest reactions. There are several other tricks i think will, but i have yet to use them because i have not practiced them enough.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Funnily enough, I was just thinking of that effect today. Is it worth the money? It's fairly epicly expensive.

I can't remember how much it cost me as I bought it when it first came out, but it's a good trick - You MAY be disappointed at first glance, but then you'll start using it and realize that they went for the BEST approach for the trick.

You get some cool stuff in the package, a video cd, the gimmick and an insta-ditch which is VERY useful.

Those who own Freezer Burn by Chris Lafferty may want to look at the insta-ditch as a hold out device for your FB gimmicks ;)

D.

Jan 18, 2009
Pretty good tricks and I am surprised by the Biddle tricks that some people mentioned, I have done it but maybe my presentation or handling isn't what it should be.

Interlace is also a favorite of mine especially with Any Ring it really hits hard. I have started to purchase a few harder hitting tricks but are gimmicked heavily, including interlace, alpha deck, and my most recent purchase Scarabaeus.

Thanks for the input everybody I will be checking out some of these effects especially the bodyguard one.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results