YouTube Destroying Magic?

Youtube, and youtube-like sites are: (you can select both options)

• Helping magic

Votes: 29 35.4%
  • Hurting magic

Votes: 73 89.0%

• Total voters
Jan 27, 2008
Also, people call it an "exposure site", but really it's an online magicians club.
Dude, you've got to be kidding, right?

I've been to one of the most notorious (I don't know how many are out there) expose-sites to visit there forums.

Oh my god.

There were soooooooo many noobs there that didn't know CRAP about magic!!! The only thing they do is humor each other with secrets, video tutorials, and rants on Ellusionist.

You call that a magic club? More like a mockery-guild.

..:Z:..

Dec 14, 2007
Tyler sums it up.

He feels because he does not have the money, he should be entitled to learn everything he wants, and then decide if it was worth it to him. Now, this may be fine when it comes to buying TV's, but magic is different.

When you have invested nothing in learning magic, you have no reason to respect or protect it. After all, if you got it for free - why should you care if someone else does as well.

One of the first things we can start doing is standing up when people choose to steal products by downloading them illegally. I know this is a hot topic, but let's face it - if you put something on a peer to peer, and someone gets it for free, can you really be surprised when they choose not to respect it in any form?

Second, we can't hide behind the "well, it's not illegal" excuse. Lot's of things are not illegal, but that doesn't mean that are not wrong. We, as a community, should not support companies and "creators" when they release products that are ethically suspect.

Now, most people won't do this because 1) we have this mentality that if the person is a "nice guy" they can get away with anything and 2) people are greedy - they want to cool trick and they don't care who got screwed as long as they get it

Third, we need to hold other people's creations and work in higher regard. That includes being careful of what we share on the internet. I know we all have an interest in magic, but we need to be sure that the people who are asking are serious and ready for that information. I'm not suggesting we cut off all information, but I think we can choose to be respectful of other's work when we decide to talk about it. And these "online communities" Tyler likes to call his exposure sites don't care who comes to learn - it can be a serious magician, or someone from your high school who just wants to try and figure out your tricks. They don't care. If you support them, you're saying YOU don't care.

If you've created something and want to share it - that's fine. But when you start telling other people's secrets - then you have done them a great disservice and I cannot hold any respect for that behavior.

Finally, what can we do? Well, it's happening. There are some great tricks that are being sold person to person - never advertised - and for very high prices. That way the creator knows who got them, and knows that they have invested enough to protect what they bought.

The down side, for many, means that a lot of people - people like Tyler, will never know these amazing pieces of magic exist, let alone be able to perform them. It's what creators have to do now that they know the community will not stand up for them, that they rationalize getting their information for free rather than paying the person who may have spent years of their life creating something beautiful.

Like I said, when that happens, lots of people lose out.

Brad Henderson

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
If we can get tons of magicians to (waste) their time by SEARCHING FOR EXPOSURE

I never said that. I said if you happen to see some.

By the way, just because you tell the person to get rid of their video doesn't mean they'll come back with a brand new one that's just sooo perfect.

I never said that. _You_ kept saying "remove them", I was saying improve them.

I'm new to this site, how is the media section handled? Do you quickly get told if you flashed or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
the only thing Ellusionist and Theory11 can do now is contact YouTube and sue the people who exposing their maigic or delete their profile. That will solve the problem of youtube exposing magic.

about poor performance, it's up to the uploader, they have to be ashame of them self for uploading something like crap.

Jan 27, 2008
I never said that. I said if you happen to see some.

If we remove videos as we spot them, then our progression is going to be sloooooooow.

I never said that. _You_ kept saying "remove them", I was saying improve them.

You can only improve a video by putting a better one in it's place, am I wrong?

I'm new to this site, how is the media section handled? Do you quickly get told if you flashed or what?

Your point?

..:Z:..'z Comments in Cyan.

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
You can only improve a video by putting a better one in it's place, am I wrong?

It's the tone thats the problem. Saying "please remove your video" is harsher than saying "please redo your video because you flashed". They key here is telling them that they flashed. I think most magicians would remove the video if they knew that.

Your point?

Why are you so cynical? I was really asking how the media section is handled. It wasn't a rhetorical question.

Jan 27, 2008
It's the tone thats the problem. Saying "please remove your video" is harsher than saying "please redo your video because you flashed". They key here is telling them that they flashed. I think most magicians would remove the video if they knew that.

I have written a couple of really decent posts on how to remove You(N)oob videos tactifully.

Why are you so cynical? I was really asking how the media section is handled. It wasn't a rhetorical question.

I'm sorry if you detected some animosity.

Well, If you do flash, the members (who most of them are magicians) will usually give you a tip or discuss with you your problem, privately.

..:Z:..'z Comments in Cyan.

AllanLuu

Banned
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I don't really think you can say youtube itself is destroying magic, it is the little 10 year old kids destroying it. Youtube has some pretty cool stuff on there like people who can actually perform.

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
I don't really think you can say youtube itself is destroying magic, it is the little 10 year old kids destroying it. Youtube has some pretty cool stuff on there like people who can actually perform.

I thought that goes without saying.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
People have been saying that YouTube is destroying magic for couple pages and now the topic changed to we should do something vs. there is nothing we can do...

In my opinion... YouTube helped me quite a bit. Not by exposing me a lot of methods, but by allowing me to see a lot of performances. I like invisible palm, and I only have one magician friend who lives 2 hours away who I have not seen in 2 years. So I have no one really to show my invisible palm to before I perform. So what I did was looked around YouTube, saw what I liked and saw what I didn't like. I was able to watch so many awesome performances, it helped me how to enhance my own performance. Frankly, invisible palm wasn't the only trick that I profitted from, but it's just one example. So here's my take in it. Yes, exposures suck, but you have to realize, you can vastly learn more by watching other people's performances. I mean, not all of us has 1000 bucks a day to spend and 16 hours of free time to go around and watch someone else's performances. YouTube has granted us that, and I think that's actually helping magic. So personally, I think YouTube is helping magic.

P.S. do not worry about exposure too much, since not everyone really knows the name of the trick, so as long as you don't tell them the name of the trick, they really shouldn't be able to find the trick (at least not without spending hours on it and if someone does that, he or she has no life, so what can you do but to ignore that person?)

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Very interesting opinions and beliefs being discussed in here...

This has been discussed several times before, however it is always nice to get some fresh views and opinions by different members. One of my personal favorite threads on the matter is this thread/mini-essay by BlueBackedBikes, just don't bump it. ;)

Keep on keeping on,
TDA

Jan 11, 2008
france
I havent read this whole thread, its pretty long.

just wanted to state that i do agree that youtube hurts magic, and whoever goes on youtube to learn tricks either doesnt know that it hurts magic or are stingy and dont know what its like to create something.

Iam all for people who film themselves peforming an effect and post it on youtube, as long as it can be seen they practiced well and the secret of trick itself is not exposed in the video. But I am talking about stoping youtube exposure not about stoping peoples peformances from being posted.

I have posted a similar thread in the past and it was ignored. But i was thinking over time and i found a solution to the youtube problem:

STOP MAKING VIDEO tutorials.

just make books. People who expose are children, i would asume their ages range from 8- 16 , nowadays kids dont read, with this whole mtv generation nobody reads anymore, make it so that if someone truly wants to get into magic, its time for them to pick up a book! Also i noticed many people argue that tricks are too expensive, books tend to be cheeper, this would solve this problem as well, I have always learnt way more from a $10 book than a $30 DVD.

I understand some people dont like learning tricks from books, they have trouble visualizing the effect, all i can say to that is reading is a skill but one which is worth acquiring.

sorry if something similar has been said i just wanted to let people know of my idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I havent read this whole thread, its pretty long.

just wanted to state that i do agree that youtube hurts magic, and whoever goes on youtube to learn tricks either doesnt know that it hurts magic or are stingy and dont know what its like to create something.

Iam all for people who film themselves peforming an effect and post it on youtube, as long as it can be seen they practiced well and the secret of trick itself is not exposed in the video. But I am talking about stoping youtube exposure not about stoping peoples peformances from being posted.

I have posted a similar thread in the past and it was ignored. But i was thinking over time and i found a solution to the youtube problem:

STOP MAKING VIDEO tutorials.

just make books. People who expose are children, i would asume their ages range from 8- 16 , nowadays kids dont read, with this whole mtv generation nobody reads anymore, make it so that if someone truly wants to get into magic, its time for them to pick up a book! Also i noticed many people argue that tricks are too expensive, books tend to be cheeper, this would solve this problem as well, I have always learnt way more from a $10 book than a $30 DVD.

I understand some people dont like learning tricks from books, they have trouble visualizing the effect, all i can say to that is reading is a skill but one which is worth acquiring.

sorry if something similar has been said i just wanted to let people know of my idea.

As a visual learner, that'd make things harder for me and probably a few others. But I do have to agree. I love to read and I'm sure reading about magic would be quite awesome too and considering there would be absolutely no other sources, we'd all get used to it eventually.

Oct 24, 2007
Tyler sums it up.

He feels because he does not have the money, he should be entitled to learn everything he wants, and then decide if it was worth it to him. Now, this may be fine when it comes to buying TV's, but magic is different.

When you have invested nothing in learning magic, you have no reason to respect or protect it. After all, if you got it for free - why should you care if someone else does as well.

One of the first things we can start doing is standing up when people choose to steal products by downloading them illegally. I know this is a hot topic, but let's face it - if you put something on a peer to peer, and someone gets it for free, can you really be surprised when they choose not to respect it in any form?

Please, please, please, actually read my initial post. First, I DO NOT DOWNLOAD DVDS ILLEGALLY. I DO NOT CONDONE THE ILLEGAL DOWNLOAD OF DVDS OR SONGS OR ANYTHING OF ANY SORT. I find out the method of a trick, and if it isn't a rip off, and if it's practical, and if it's something I'll use, because I respect the artist, I WILL BUY IT. There are many reasons for doing this. Because I respect the artist, and also because I want the teaching. I want to hear what they have to say about performance and the subtitles they teach about whatever trick it is they're teaching. And if you're saying I don't respect the art form, then retract that statement immediately. Not only do I respect the art form, but am pretty well respected in the art form. I'm friends with magicians such as Justin Miller. (view my website) So, please take that statement back ASAP, cause it's far from the truth.

Second, we can't hide behind the "well, it's not illegal" excuse. Lot's of things are not illegal, but that doesn't mean that are not wrong. We, as a community, should not support companies and "creators" when they release products that are ethically suspect.

Once again, please read my initial post. I AGREED WITH YOU. It is wrong and it is unethical. But there isn't anything, as far as the law goes, that we can do about it. All we can do is stop buying from these companies that copy other companies or artists effects. I was just merely saying that you can't copyright an idea, so what they are doing isn't against the law, so we can't take them down that way.

Now, most people won't do this because 1) we have this mentality that if the person is a "nice guy" they can get away with anything and 2) people are greedy - they want to cool trick and they don't care who got screwed as long as they get it

If you are referencing me, then I'm referencing paragraph one.

Third, we need to hold other people's creations and work in higher regard. That includes being careful of what we share on the internet. I know we all have an interest in magic, but we need to be sure that the people who are asking are serious and ready for that information. I'm not suggesting we cut off all information, but I think we can choose to be respectful of other's work when we decide to talk about it. And these "online communities" Tyler likes to call his exposure sites don't care who comes to learn - it can be a serious magician, or someone from your high school who just wants to try and figure out your tricks. They don't care. If you support them, you're saying YOU don't care.

Let me start off by saying that I DO NOT condone wide open online magic communities that do not put magicians through a screening process. PUBLIC EXPOSURE FORUMS ARE WRONG! The forum I am a part of only consists of 40 members, highly skilled members. In order to join you must first pass a test before you can even register. It's a 10 question test with questions such as "What is an Erdnase Shift?", and so forth. After this, if people have passed, they must post an introduction telling all the members why they love magic, how they got started out in magic, what kind of magic they like, and what their favorite effect is. I can also vouch for 90% of the forum when I say that they do the same thing I do. If a trick is a rip-off, then no one buys it or uses it. Why would you use something crappy? But, if a trick is good, practical, and something that will be used, it is then bought. Even though I do not condone forums that are open to the public or easily accessible, I think online magician communities are acceptable. I don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

If you've created something and want to share it - that's fine. But when you start telling other people's secrets - then you have done them a great disservice and I cannot hold any respect for that behavior.

Finally, what can we do? Well, it's happening. There are some great tricks that are being sold person to person - never advertised - and for very high prices. That way the creator knows who got them, and knows that they have invested enough to protect what they bought.

The down side, for many, means that a lot of people - people like Tyler, will never know these amazing pieces of magic exist, let alone be able to perform them. It's what creators have to do now that they know the community will not stand up for them, that they rationalize getting their information for free rather than paying the person who may have spent years of their life creating something beautiful.

LOL Like me? Like I said before, I'm well respected in the magic community. I knew about "Holy Grail" from Jordan before you or anyone else (except for a few people), knew it was even going to be released. He actually sent me the test videos of the trick so I could give him my opinion. He knows I'm part of the online magic community, yet he knows how I work and had no problem telling me how the trick was accomplished so I could tell him whether it was practical or not. I actually know about a trick right now that you and most of you don't even know about. So, I find that paragraph extremely humorous! :D

Like I said, when that happens, lots of people lose out.

Seems your losing out more than me. Shame, eh?

Here's a great quote I forgot I made...

"Online magic communities are like guns, it depends on how you use them. If you use them to steal the effects from artists, it's bad. If you use it for good, like I do, then online magic communities are good."

Also, I have some questions I would like to see if anyone can answer. Don't you have conventions with magicians? Don't you have a magician buddy who you practice with? Don't you show each other things? How is that any different? I'm doing the same thing, just securely online, because I don't live anywhere near other magicians. Cause, if we took your view, then magicians shouldn't have friend magicians and they should never talk to each other. In fact, lets just shut down the theory11 forums because we should never talk together again!

Just so everyone knows, I'll list tricks I use that I have bought.

Tricks I use:
-TiVo 2.0 (I bought the Trilogy)
-The Queens (I bought the Trilogy)
-dilemma! (my own trick)
-Subway (I bought the Trilogy)
-Cameo Phase 1 & 2 (I bought ONE when it came out)
-Card Clock Mentalism (got it from a book I borrowed from the library)
-My Own Turned Over Card in Deck
-My Own Ace trick I haven't named

I hope you will rethink your position and understand that you don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I agree with you on some points, and on some I disagree. Peace!

Tyler

Feb 23, 2008
Houston
www.myspace.com
Everytime I see these videos being done I just want to reach through the screen and slap them. Not only does it give the secret away to layman who could possibly come back to school or work and tell everyone how it was done but then it pisses everyone who paid for it off.

Jan 27, 2008
I find out the method of a trick, and if it isn't a rip off, and if it's practical, and if it's something I'll use, because I respect the artist, I WILL BUY IT.

Isn't figuring out the trick unethical? Isn't putting effort into discovering the actual method unethical especially for magicians?

There are many reasons for doing this. Because I respect the artist, and also because I want the teaching. I want to hear what they have to say about performance and the subtitles they teach about whatever trick it is they're teaching.

Artists aren't going to respect you back when you use your method of purchasing magic.

The METHOD is the whole SECRET of the effect which you PURCHASE if you like the EFFECT, not the METHOD. You trying to figure out the secretmand THEN deciding whether you want to buy it.... Well, if everyone did that, we'd have a lot less customers (I would think).

And if you're saying I don't respect the art form, then retract that statement immediately. Not only do I respect the art form, but am pretty well respected in the art form. I'm friends with magicians such as Justin Miller. (view my website) So, please take that statement back ASAP, cause it's far from the truth.

Yah, I talked to Justin, too. For like, 2 hours ar o' Dark hundred in the morning. He's a cool guy. He even taught me a few things about coins.

Once again, please read my initial post. I AGREED WITH YOU. It is wrong and it is unethical. But there isn't anything, as far as the law goes, that we can do about it. All we can do is stop buying from these companies that copy other companies or artists effects. I was just merely saying that you can't copyright an idea, so what they are doing isn't against the law, so we can't take them down that way.

If you agree it's so unethical, like you said, then why are you using your purchasing-method? Seems a bit hypocritical, don't ya' think?

Let me start off by saying that I DO NOT condone wide open online magic communities that do not put magicians through a screening process.
I agree, we need gatekeepers like we used to have.

PUBLIC EXPOSURE FORUMS ARE WRONG!

HAHAHAH. That's really funny because earlier you said this:

I am part of a so called "exposure website".

...LoL.

The forum I am a part of only consists of 40 members, highly skilled members(?). In order to join you must first pass a test before you can even register. It's a 10 question test with questions such as "What is an Erdnase Shift?", and so forth. After this, if people have passed, they must post an introduction telling all the members why they love magic, how they got started out in magic, what kind of magic they like, and what their favorite effect is.

Why would highly skilled members be using your method for purchasing magic tricks?

I have yet to see a highly skilled member do THAT.

I can also vouch for 90% of the forum when I say that they do the same thing I do.

Oh great.... That's reassuring....

If a trick is a rip-off, then no one buys it or uses it. Why would you use something crappy? But, if a trick is good, practical, and something that will be used, it is then bought.

Ummm, Tylor, WHY are you trying to figure out the method? Because the like the effect soooo much. That's why. So, isn't that a good trick if your being driven to research the method?

Here's a great quote I forgot I made...

"Online magic communities are like guns, it depends on how you use them. If you use them to steal the effects from artists, it's bad. If you use it for good, like I do, then online magic communities are good."

I think there's a reason why you forgot :p.

Also, I have some questions I would like to see if anyone can answer. Don't you have conventions with magicians? No. Don't you have a magician buddy who you practice with? Yes. Don't you show each other things? Rarerly. How is that any different? I KNOW who I'm "jamming" with. I'm doing the same thing, just securely online, because I don't live anywhere near other magicians. Cause, if we took your view, then magicians shouldn't have friend magicians and they should never talk to each other. In fact, lets just shut down the theory11 forums because we should never talk together again!

It's okay to talk about secret-magician-things from one magician to another, but it's not okay to just blatantly reveal information to other strangers (who are You(N)oobs).

I hope you will rethink your position and understand that you don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I agree with you on some points, and on some I disagree. Peace!

Tyler

..:Z:..'z Comments in Cyan

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
Personally I like to figure out the method, but that's just how I operate. I've always been fascinated with the way things work, and magic is no exception. Are you really expecting people to actively refuse to think about how an effect is achievable?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results