YouTube Destroying Magic?

Youtube, and youtube-like sites are: (you can select both options)

• Helping magic

Votes: 29 35.4%
  • Hurting magic

Votes: 73 89.0%

• Total voters

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
I was watching a magic video on youtube, and one of the links on the side was to some kid performing Garcia's fallen. I look at it once and saw exactly how it's done. What's stopping me from searching for other, INSANELY recently released tricks and seeing more poor performances from which I see how the trick is done? This is a bigger problem than videos which blatantly reveal how tricks are done because those videos usually cover old things. These types of videos however clearly come from kids who bought the DVD THAT DAY and are too eager to practice longer. Please people, I'm begging you, practice the trick until it looks perfect before showing it to anyone. And if you are showing it in video format, go over the video multiple times to make sure that our secrets are safe. If you don't, you are insulting the people who created the trick; it's like a slap in the face. Don't do it.

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
Just ask them nicely to take down the video and give them a reason why they need to practice more.

I've done that. The problem is that there are hundreds of similar videos for the same trick with the same tells. There is just no way to stop them all. It's a huge problem with absolutely no solution.

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
Yes, and youtube is a _huge_, easily searchable library of poor performances.

Dec 14, 2007
Here is why EVERYONE here should care:

There are a lot of tricks that will NOT be released to the magic community because the creators do not want to see them butchered on youtube.

There are several big problems in magic today:

1) people who publish (DVD or book) other people's work without credit or permission
2) people exposing methods thinking they are "helping magicians" on websites for magicians
3) company's that put out minor variations to try and profit from someone else's ideas
4) botched performances on youtube

Because it seems so many people don't care about the creator's work, because people support those who publish without permission, and because there is no way to ensure that a secret remains anything close to a secret, a lot of performer/creators are rethinking how they want to share their magic. In the past, it may have been sold in a book or DVD. Now, many are choosing not to release commercially OR to sell via a very tight network of trusted buyer/friends.

So, if you value having access to material created by some of the smartest people in magic - then this affect you.

Brad Henderson

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I just don't see why people get all worked up over YouTube. I used to, but I've grown out of that now. I realize that a)there's absolutely nothing we can do about it, and b)it has never once actually hurt one of my performances. i.e. Nobody has ever called me out on a performance, saying, "Hey, I saw how you do that on YouTube!". It's just never happened, and I don't ever expect it to.

Jan 27, 2008
Here is why EVERYONE here should care:

There are a lot of tricks that will NOT be released to the magic community because the creators do not want to see them butchered on youtube.

There are several big problems in magic today:

1) people who publish (DVD or book) other people's work without credit or permission
2) people exposing methods thinking they are "helping magicians" on websites for magicians
3) company's that put out minor variations to try and profit from someone else's ideas
4) botched performances on youtube

Because it seems so many people don't care about the creator's work, because people support those who publish without permission, and because there is no way to ensure that a secret remains anything close to a secret, a lot of performer/creators are rethinking how they want to share their magic. In the past, it may have been sold in a book or DVD. Now, many are choosing not to release commercially OR to sell via a very tight network of trusted buyer/friends.

So, if you value having access to material created by some of the smartest people in magic - then this affect you.

Brad Henderson

Believe me, I care about exposure, and so does everyone else here (at least, I would think). It hurts. It even hurt me once. But there's nothing WE (the magicians) can do.

So, I suppose you have a solution, though?

..:Z:..

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
This is a huge problem.

About a month ago I put together a PDF and Video to with it.

The bundle contained 6 new card tricks and a new concept of misdirection that I have been working on. I was thinking about submitting it to some of the main stream magic companies like T11, Ellusionist, Murphy's, Precision...but then I thought about it.

Do I really want these effects that are so dear to me out there for those "webcam magicians" to butcher?

I worked hard on these effects...and I perform them regularly, so I consulted with my local magic shop owner on what I should do.

In the end I decided not to release this bundle. I have spent a couple of years working on and perfecting these tricks. I have done everything to try to make them perfect. I ended up just giving the bundle to 2 of my closest magic friends and the shop owner.

I know they aren't gonna screw me over.

Just thought I should share.
-Brad

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
I just don't see why people get all worked up over YouTube. I used to, but I've grown out of that now. I realize that a)there's absolutely nothing we can do about it, and b)it has never once actually hurt one of my performances. i.e. Nobody has ever called me out on a performance, saying, "Hey, I saw how you do that on YouTube!". It's just never happened, and I don't ever expect it to.

That's an incredibly selfish point of view, which is missing the point.

Believe me, I care about exposure, and so does everyone else here (at least, I would think). It hurts. It even hurt me once. But there's nothing WE (the magicians) can do.

So, I suppose you have a solution, though?

Make as much magicians aware of this as possible, so that their future youtube videos don't flash.
Or you can always create and release only tricks which require triple jointed fingers to perform, so that nobody can do them.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
How is my point of view selfish? Because I realize the truth? Like I said, it's never affected me as a performer. As an internet-video-poster, yeah, it may have hurt me, but that doesn't matter. I'm more worried about entertianing my audiences than impressing a bunch of kids on a forum. :rolleyes:

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
How is my point of view selfish? Because I realize the truth? Like I said, it's never affected me as a performer. As an internet-video-poster, yeah, it may have hurt me, but that doesn't matter. I'm more worried about entertianing my audiences than impressing a bunch of kids on a forum.

I was talking about effect creators. You're not an effect creator. You're being selfish by saying "it's not my problem".
:rolleyes:

Jan 27, 2008
That's an incredibly selfish point of view, which is missing the point.

Frankly, Aos, Adjones is right. Whether it was your point or not, who cares. It's just gonna happen and there's nothing we can do.

Make as much magicians aware of this as possible, so that their future youtube videos don't flash.
Or you can always create and release only tricks which require triple jointed fingers to perform, so that nobody can do them.

Are you aware of how many times this subject has been brought up? I take it you have recently just suffered from explotation from a hecker (who saw the secret to your effect on YouTube)?

I'm sure most magicians out here are smart enough to know about the whole YouTube crisis.

..:Z:..'z Comment's in Cyan.

Jan 27, 2008
I was talking about effect creators. You're not an effect creator. You're being selfish by saying "it's not my problem".
:rolleyes:

Let's stop shoving words down people's throats now, will we?

By the way, he shouldn't have to care for the creator's misfortune. Believe me, creators know very well about YouTube but why should we have to care? They screwed themselves over. Now we have to lift the burden?

Of course, It's not my problem. It's theirs!

I certainly am not going to get rid of all the Fallen-exposure videos out there. ESPECIALLY if they're gonna charge me 9$ shipping!!! (JK :))

This is a big problem but, as others have mentioned there is nothing you can do about it. As long as its legal its on Youtube. I have thought multiple times about selling my tricks and decided not to for these reasons. However, I am working on an underground site that will sell my tricks but it's hard for those punk youtuber's to find. It will take magic to get to my site! lol. There is also another point you could make that people who make magic tricks over price them. That is why people reveal, because they don't want to pay $30+ for one single trick. So I think there are multiple arguments you could put on this.

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
Just because it's going to happen doesn't mean there is nothing to be done. Magicians should still be informed. It's not going to stop 100%, but it can be reduced.

You missed, nobody heckled me. I've only released a single video (2 years ago) of me performing and the only negative comments were that my madonna 2 could use more work. And I only did it because it was for a school project.

My inspiration for making this topic was the shock I got from fallen being dumbly revealed to me a few minutes ago.

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
There is also another point you could make that people who make magic tricks over price them. That is why people reveal, because they don't want to pay $30+ for one single trick.

Good point. I think if I were to create an effect I would want it sold very cheaply so that it's a very easy entry point. And the money would pretty much be a donation for my good work.

Jan 27, 2008
Just because it's going to happen doesn't mean there is nothing to be done. Magicians should still be informed. It's not going to stop 100%, but it can be reduced.

Of course, there's always something we can do. But nothing is going to take effect.

I'm not wasting time out of my day to fix a problem that I didn't cause.

Mass-productions and Youtube has perverted what used to be a high level of secretism (is that a word?) that we had.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results