YouTube Destroying Magic?

Youtube, and youtube-like sites are: (you can select both options)

• Helping magic

Votes: 29 35.4%
  • Hurting magic

Votes: 73 89.0%

• Total voters
I was watching a magic video on youtube, and one of the links on the side was to some kid performing Garcia's fallen. I look at it once and saw exactly how it's done. What's stopping me from searching for other, INSANELY recently released tricks and seeing more poor performances from which I see how the trick is done? This is a bigger problem than videos which blatantly reveal how tricks are done because those videos usually cover old things. These types of videos however clearly come from kids who bought the DVD THAT DAY and are too eager to practice longer. Please people, I'm begging you, practice the trick until it looks perfect before showing it to anyone. And if you are showing it in video format, go over the video multiple times to make sure that our secrets are safe. If you don't, you are insulting the people who created the trick; it's like a slap in the face. Don't do it.

Uhhhh yeah I don't see how this is destroying magic. In my opinion magic has never been better. It would be better if companies stop marketing magic for a high price. Oh and one more thing there is a thread telling people to sign a petition to stop youtube exposure. If you think this is a problem go to the thread and sign.

Oct 28, 2007
this is a problem and we need to stop it some how i don't know how but we need to it is a discrace to the art and does hurt preformers.
people work hard making these and some 10 year old kid with a video camera post this crap on the web? These people know that their video is reveiling the trick i mean come on they take the time to put fancy leters in the begining but they don't take time to review the video to see if it truly is good enough to put on the internet they only care about how many views they get.
people do watch these videos even if they aren't into magic especially after they have seen a magic trick all they care about is how it is done soooo they go to YOUTUBE because they know that people reveal this kind of stuff like the other day was preforming for a couple of people in school and the next day one of the kids i preformed to came to me explaining an etire trick i did the other day and asked me if that was how it was done sooooo....I straight up lied to him and said no.
and i am suprised that the people who create these tricks don't do anything about it do they not care and are just in it for the money? or maybe they just haven't seen it or feel they can't do anything when they can!
i don't know we just need to figure out a way to stop it. now

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
By attacking them, you're just provoking them to do it more, and giving them fuel for their fire. The best thing to do would be just ignore them. Like I said before, it's more than likely not effecting you, so why should you care? It's obviously not hurting hte creators too awful much, as they're not doing anything about it. If you want to stop it, stop talking to kids on forums and starting petitions, and sending messages on YouTube, and flagging videos, and talk to the creators who might actually be able to do something about it.

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
Of course, there's always something we can do. But nothing is going to take effect.

So we should absolutely give up? No. There are things that can be easily done. For example, if you are a magician and see a flash in a video then inform the creator. That's a very basic thing, but given how much magic videos magicians watch, that's a lot of help right there. Plus, I'm not sure but I don't think it would be offensive to the creator. I don't think any magician wants their videos to contain flashes, so you will be helping them and the magic community in general.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Also, I think it might be helpful if you added a "neither" option to your poll. If it's possible to add other options. That one would definitely get my vote.

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
Also, I think it might be helpful if you added a "neither" option to your poll. If it's possible to add other options. That one would definitely get my vote.

if you select both options thats the same as neither, since it neither largely hurts nor largely helps.
but no its not possible to edit.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Jeff poses an interesting question. And yes, Aos, raising awareness helps, but we're all already aware of it. Once again... talk to the creators.

Jan 27, 2008
So we should absolutely give up? No. There are things that can be easily done. For example, if you are a magician and see a flash in a video then inform the creator. That's a very basic thing, but given how much magic videos magicians watch, that's a lot of help right there. Plus, I'm not sure but I don't think it would be offensive to the creator. I don't think any magician wants their videos to contain flashes, so you will be helping them and the magic community in general.

Ahh, 1 exposure video removed..........999 more to go.....

..:Z:..

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
Aos, how many times in performances have you had spectators say "I saw that on YouTube." Answer honestly.

Well answer me this Jeff, have you ever had anybody call you on your double lift?
I don't think people will say "I saw that on youtube", even if they did. If they know how they trick is done (regardless where they learned it), and they feel like heckling they will say how it's done. What I was saying is that youtube is a large source of showing people how tricks are done, explicitly or otherwise.

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
Ahh, 1 exposure video removed..........999 more to go......:Z:..

Not removed, ideally redone better. This decreases poor performances on youtube by 1, and increases good performances by 1. A net change of 2. This decreases the chances of somebody running into a poor performance, which is the goal here. And if a lot of magicians do this, and the effect gets doubled in this way, I think it will significantly help.

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
I was never talking about myself. I was saying that the creators are the ones that suffer, and we suffer through that because they are less likely to release tricks. You guys are the ones who started saying that youtube has never hurt your performances, so don't turn that around on me.

So pretty much YouTube exposure has never hurt your performances. :rolleyes:

The short answer is no, youtube has never directly hurt my performances.
The long answer is maybe, because if they did learn a secret from youtube, why would they source where they got the information from? They would either be unimpressed, or exclaim what I'm actually doing. So anybody who got called on a sleight without flashing it could have been affected by youtube. But everybody who performed magic for a long time has had that experience at some time or another, so it's impossible to tell. It was never my intention to talk about this direct effect, I was talking about the problems it creates for the creators of effects. Because after all, they are the people who drive magic forward.

Oct 17, 2007
I'm talking about friends or peers that have seen your magic and look online to watch the explanation. Say they found it. If they know how to do it, fine. But CAN they do it? It takes a lot of skill to perform any trick, and they (mostly not magicians) will not be able to perform that. If they can't do it, why do I care?

That's just my philosophy...

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I was watching a performance of Sam The Bellhop on YouTube the other day.. it was pretty poor and I found out why it was so: "Sorry if my patter isn't good, I learnt this trick an hour ago." I nearly cried.

But yes, exposure sucks.. poor performances suck.. yeah.

And to answer a question that was asked earlier in this thread, no, I haven't had someone DURING the performance call me out, but it's the aftermath which actually hurts.

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
If they know how to do it, fine. But CAN they do it? It takes a lot of skill to perform any trick, and they (mostly not magicians) will not be able to perform that. If they can't do it, why do I care?

That's just my philosophy...

Very true. I think like this as well, but it leads to changes. I stay away from simple to perform tricks like fire.

But also this about this. It causes a shift in their experience. If they know how the trick is done, they are no longer amazed by the magic-ness of it. They can only be impressed by your perfect card control. This is fundamentally a different experience, and I would say that a lot of people who want to see magic are not going to enjoy perfect card control.

Jan 13, 2008
Youtube is hurting magic....i have one video on there....heres why...i love the McDonalds Aces trick..but never get to perform it in real life..(no close up mat plus its not really a street magic trick)..so i made a video....but these kids get on there and just perform FOR the camera..not for people....youtube is hurting street magic the most..half of the kids dont even leave the house to get out there and approach people and make them laugh and get to know somebody!! I hate to see all of street magic reduced from living life and meeting and amazing new people to web videos shot with crappy webcams and flashing all over the place.

and yes exposure sucks-really really bad

Oct 24, 2007
Here is why EVERYONE here should care:

There are several big problems in magic today:

My responses will be in red.

1) people who publish (DVD or book) other people's work without credit or permission.

1. I agree with you on this. But, I hate to tell you, it's not against the law. No one can copyright an idea, because it's not something material. Although, to copy someones idea is unethical. But there isn't anything that can be done about this, because it isn't against the law.

2) people exposing methods thinking they are "helping magicians" on websites for magicians

2. I hate how people get all hyped up about magic websites that expose methods. I am part of a so called "exposure website". Why? Because I'm an 18 year old kid, getting ready to go to college, which my parents can't pay for, so I can't be wasting my money on crappy tricks. So I find out the method of a trick lawfully and legally (discussion with other magicians), and if I like the trick I buy it. If it's crappy and something I won't use, I don't use it and don't buy it. Also, people call it an "exposure site", but really it's an online magicians club. I live in a small town, the closest magicians club is three hours away. I can't join it, I don't have any magician friends around me, don't even have a magic shop anywhere close by (3 hours away)! At magicians clubs, or even at magic conferences, if you become a friend with someone they usually teach you a trick and show you something. I've heard some magicians on this forum and others talk about this. How is that any different? Also, since I live so far away from a magicians club, am I just supposed to sit here by myself without any help from experienced magicians, and hope I get a lot better? There's nothing wrong with so called "exposure sites", or as I call them, online magic communities.

3) company's that put out minor variations to try and profit from someone else's ideas

3. (See 1.) Once again, it's not against the law, although I agree with you. And it is also unethical.

4) botched performances on youtube

4. Although it is sad that there are botched performances on YouTube, there isn't anything you can do about it. They bought they trick, they aren't doing anything illegal or unlawful, so they can perform the trick they bought and place the performance on YouTube. You can help several people, I helped one guy. How? I messaged him and kindly suggested somethings to him. It really helped him out and made his performance videos better.

Anyway, that's all I have to say! I can't read all through the rest of the posts. Don't have time, I'm tired and need to get to bed. Peace!

Tyler

Jan 27, 2008
Not removed, ideally redone better. This decreases poor performances on youtube by 1, and increases good performances by 1. A net change of 2. This decreases the chances of somebody running into a poor performance, which is the goal here. And if a lot of magicians do this, and the effect gets doubled in this way, I think it will significantly help.

If we can get tons of magicians to (waste) their time by SEARCHING FOR EXPOSURE (Does that sound messed up?) on YouTube, removing them/transforming them, than yah, that could possibly make a difference.

By the way, just because you tell the person to get rid of their video doesn't mean they'll come back with a brand new one that's just sooo perfect.

Sorry to sound so blunt. I'm not trying to bite your head off or anything. It's....Just...How I am.

I was never talking about myself. I was saying that the creators are the ones that suffer, and we suffer through that because they are less likely to release tricks. You guys are the ones who started saying that youtube has never hurt your performances, so don't turn that around on me.

Look, I have found myself some nice books (including the older ones) that NO ONE has ever heard of (not even most magicians!) yet, I am in no way effected by YouTube! So, if your reptoir comprises of mostly Ellusionist or T11 material, then you need to adjust, man.

And, personally, I'm fine with the thousands of tricks that are currently being sold.

The short answer is no, youtube has never directly hurt my performances.
The long answer is maybe, because if they did learn a secret from youtube, why would they source where they got the information from? They would either be unimpressed, or exclaim what I'm actually doing. So anybody who got called on a sleight without flashing it could have been affected by youtube. But everybody who performed magic for a long time has had that experience at some time or another, so it's impossible to tell. It was never my intention to talk about this direct effect, I was talking about the problems it creates for the creators of effects. Because after all, they are the people who drive magic forward.

But also this about this. It causes a shift in their experience. If they know how the trick is done, they are no longer amazed by the magic-ness of it. They can only be impressed by your perfect card control. This is fundamentally a different experience, and I would say that a lot of people who want to see magic are not going to enjoy perfect card control.

Look, we COMPLETELY understand the devastating effects that YouTube can randomly deliver. You don't need to elaborate on WHAT the negative side-effects are.

As much as I want to delete ALL of the exposure, that's just simple not going to happen! The only methods we can use are much too time consuming and therefore, aren't very practical at all! But don't start calling people selfish just because they don't want to waste THEIR time on... Well, you know.

..:Z:..

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results