YouTube Destroying Magic?

Youtube, and youtube-like sites are: (you can select both options)

• Helping magic

Votes: 29 35.4%
  • Hurting magic

Votes: 73 89.0%

• Total voters
YES!!!
Let's try and shut down the largest website on the internet. I'm sure Youtube would be more than willing to close itself because a small community feels that it may possibly hurt their schoolyard performances.
God, I think it's time to man up. Nobody has ever said they knew how a trick I did was done. Except one guy.... :mad:
But come on.... there's worse things to complain about.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Eh, Youtube isn't going to shutdown the exposure videos unless you find a loop hole and report them for having copy righted music and unless the effects are copy righted as well.

You can still get the sound taken away but really you can't stop people from being idiots. Let them expose what they want. It's not hurting you unless you let it.

Oct 22, 2008
i myself cannot put my opinion in that poll. I think it helps and hurts magic alike. What I'm saying is that, yes on youtube there may be reveal vids etc. but think about also how many positives there are for magic on youtube. For example: If anyones heard of I'm sure Orbit Brown. He gotten extremelyy popular of his magic mostly from youtube! Liam Walsh? Pretty popular from youtube. Plus you can put up promotions and lots more to show your self if you are good enough. So all I'm sayin is in this poll i would have to go in between... Helps and hurts. Revealing isn't even that bad on youtube in my opinion because it's usually just a little stupid kid showing you the totally wrong method.. or maybe the right one but he can't even do it right for his life. My opinion on this topic.

-Jake

Youtube does not hurt magic. The thought that youtube is the center of the problem is wrong. It is the people who post the videos and the people who draw attention to said videos through useless threads like this. The reason I am calling out this thread is for the simple reason that there are a lot of young and just starting out magicians who probably were not aware of magic exposure on youtube. This thread is hurting magic in a way.

Now if spectators are looking up on youtube how you perform your magic and successfully finding a method to your madness, you are doing something wrong. Spectators do not know jack squat about magic and its terminology. They know something is up but they do not know what. The point I want to get across is that spectators should not know where to start on their search for your method. The only way I can see a spectator actually finding the exact method that you performed is if you introduced the trick by its original name. Here is a tip for everyone on this forum who has been in magic for awhile (more then 1 year) stop relying on your artists to come out with new effects. Use your own head and make up your own effects where it can’t and won’t be exposed on the interweb. Do not even mention it on the interweb, keep what you create a secret from the Internet and everything will be a bit better.

Sep 3, 2007
Youtube is bad for magic.

It gives people the opportunity to perform only for a camera and not for an actual audience. Basically it is crippling the youth of magic.

It gives people bad tutorials and bad performances. Bad magic will always be bad for magic no matter how insignificant it seems.

It leads to some creator withholding their magic because of issues with exposure and magic piracy.

The only benefit it has is giving some magicians media exposure. Exposure as in media coverage for their promos, performances etc. But these good videos are outnumbered by the bad ones.

Youtube is definitely more of a problem than normal exposure like the Masked Magician.
But, saying that it is destroying magic is an extreme over-exaggeration.

______
I have not had someone say that they learned how to do something I performed on youtube. But I've hear people say that "I'll go look it up on Youtube later" and my response is: if you really want to get into magic, I'll teach you a simple trick right now (as long as it doesn't interfere with my performance)

Anyone wanna debate this?
Other perspectives welcome.

I think everyone on this forum will agree that magic on youtube can be a problem. I don't though but this is me submitting for you all.

Bad magic performances can become good magic performances, You can say remove the video. But it will not solve the problem.

Exposure espionage, back stabbing, what ever means necessary to find out how an effect is done is a very old story, older then Robert Houdin. Even though magicians stole methods from each other and a gambling expert writing a book exposing cheats and magicians. Has that destroyed magic? No it hasn't, time heals.

Jun 2, 2008
Put them in a book ! I never read so that wouldnt be very good.

Tbh you cant stop it. People are just idiots. People who do piracy will never be good magicians because if you pay for something you try harder to learn it because you have payed for it and want to get the most out of it.

People doing piracy probably wont pay much attention, the only thing they would be paying attention too is their next download.

I think that magic should only be able to be bought by proper magicians but i have no idea how you would manage this. And it would be unfair on people who want to learn magic.

Theres no solution

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results