Magic an art?

THAT WAS THE SUBJECT AT A TOPIC ON THE ELLUSIONIST FORUMS

So today, i decided to make an account on E, i had one years ago but never posts cuz i didnt like them too much and MagicCafe was where its at. So i made one and im browsing through and i see "Magic an art? Lets not trick ourselves into believing this."
And i was like....WHAAAAAAA!
So i click it and the person stated this....

And i quote....
’m not sure if this has been brought up before – and if it has, whether or not it had this ‘slant’ on in. It just occurred to me today – it’s the notion that magic is somehow an Art. We hear it all the time - 'our Art, your Art, this Art'.

Even, Brad in one of his dvd appearances – Ninja maybe - says something about the cards ‘being your Art’ – so, as a result, we all gotta handle them with a bit of sensitive tender loving care and flair.

But is magic really an Art? I don’t want to get all flowery about what art is or isn’t or might be or should be – but if we look at what we do as magicians – it’s all about trickery. It’s a con. Magic doesn’t exist. It’s a little white lie to create a moment of entertainment. The spec might describe magic as some kind of miracle – but we know better.

On a base level isn’t all magic a cheap con? Clever. Effective, when it works – but nothing more that a series of deceptive moves? So where’s the Art in that? There’s an element of personal involvement and skill – but involvement and skill exist in even the most mundane activities

I don’t mean to undervalue magic – and in some ways, I’m trying to give it much more value, by not idly classifying it as something it isn’t – Some kind of almighty Art.

Magic is a con. A sales pitch delivery with some fancy moves of the fingers thrown in or a gimmick doing the hard work for you. And that’s about it. Nothing artistic there. And if people say there is - then selling cell phones is an Art. Asking customers if they want to ‘go large’ on their next Burger King meal is an Art.

And this is my point - Is the big, clever deception – the fact that many magicians call magic an Art? We describe what we do in these might terms in the hope that it somehow drifts towards the public’s perception of what we do – and consequently places magic and our abilities on the higher ground? A ground well out of reach of the common people

What I’m trying to say, I suppose – is that when I tell my friends about magic – I might call it an Art, to boost the notion of its unique standing – but between magicians I wouldn’t call it Art. I’d feel like a pretentious fool. And well done to the magic community for creating this lie that subtly pervades into the conscience of the public. Clever stuff – and all in the spirit of furthering the deception.

But, when we are all chewing the fat as magicians - surely we can drop the arrogance and pomposity and call what we do – tricks. Our Tricks. Not our Art.

Calling it an art reminds me of those internet sites where you can buy instant qualifications like PhD’s and MA’s and BA’s. It’s a self-appointed title which holds no real merit. It only fools the ignorant public and attempts to 'up' your status.

As a bit of a footnote, I got my delivery today of Trilogy and Loops dvds. Impressive stuff. Talented and skilful tricksters at work.

This is my first post for a while. I've been in a magic wilderness for about 6 months. Confused but I still practiced my tricks everyday. Loving and hating every moment of it.

Second footnote - in four days time I've got a glorious eight week vacation coming my way - so the good times will start to roll again and hopefully I can submit many more pointless threads. I've just had a bit of a deja vu - I thought that I'd already posted this kind of thought before. Maybe I should use the search feature.

SO i was very upset and i replied with....

Okay, im not even going to bother reading this (The whole thread...thats 5 pages long) but...
MAGIC NOT AN ART?!

1. Someone who just buying stuff from companies like E and T11 or BMG, or any other sites, learn them move for move, patter for patter... thats not an artist, thats a mirror.
2. Someone who gets creative and creates effects, new styles, new versions of things...thats art and magic IS AN ART.

A magic creator makes something out of nothing, and you say thats not art. Yet a painter makes a picture out of nothing and that is art? The picture exist only in his imagination yet you call that art and not magic?

Magic is an art depending on the magician and if he treats it as an art and isnt a mirror reflection of other magicians.

Every day i remember what those guys at MAGICisDEAD SAY... "Magic is dead without the magician" and boy is it dead alright.

Last edited by a moderator:
NOT TO MENTION he says that Magic is not an art, its a white lie to create greatness for a few seconds.

Wasnt it Joel Paschall who quoted someone for saying "The job of an artist is to convince the world of his lie."
Right... because you know those mimes REALLY cant talk... there artist
Painters paint from there imagination... There artist
The job of an actor is essentially to ---- lie... But oh yea, there Artist
Oh and those singers that lip sinc.... there artist too.

But magic.... no not an art.

RRRRRRRIIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTT

(OOPS double posted.... Can a Mod delete that other post... NOT THIS ONE!... Thank you!)

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
this is precisely why magic seems to be going downhill. These kids think of magic as some kind of cool thing that cool people do. They mostly like aren't that intelligent anyways. therefore they cannot grasp the fact that magic is an art.

To me, anything that takes skill is an art. Magic, dancing, juggling, penspining, skateboarding, singing, etc. Even selling cellphones can be considered an art.

Your lack of open-mindedness is a problem to say the least. It was a very intriguing post that brought up several good points. Stop being narrow-minded.

I READ THAT POST lol
THe WHOLE thread was 5 pages long and i was not reading that... if you read my replies....i stated points in his post several times meaning i read it. So thanks for saying that i lack opening mindness, great to know.

ZimFasa

Banned
Jul 28, 2008
Your lack of open-mindedness is a problem to say the least. It was a very intriguing post that brought up several good points. Stop being narrow-minded.

I agree, he isn't viewing it with the right perspective. But, I also do believe that Magic should be classified as an art. At least, when it is performed as such. When people get creative, entertain well, and practice, it should be considered an art. It is full of deception, but that doesn't mean it cannot be classified as an art form.
The poster was somewhat being hypocritical, if he is going to talk about magic as an art around spectators, he should also talk about it that way around other magicians. Higher your standards, and you will higher your confidence.

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
this is precisely why magic seems to be going downhill. These kids think of magic as some kind of cool thing that cool people do. They mostly like aren't that intelligent anyways. therefore they cannot grasp the fact that magic is an art.
It could also have something to do with the superiority complex and know-it-all-ness of magicians...

To me, anything that takes skill is an art. Magic, dancing, juggling, penspining, skateboarding, singing, etc. Even selling cellphones can be considered an art.
So anything we do can be considered an art? That takes away the art in art.

Dec 10, 2007
Wow well thats E for you... when i first clicked this i thought you posted this lol. I was thinking "wow and hes made such good posts lately, but now this... lol".

I can see how if your an E/T11 clone you might not consider this to be an art. But this is obviously someone who is ignorant to the history and greats of magic. He is only 6 months in, so hopefully he will come around, if not i wouldnt expect him to last very long in the ART. He will likely loose interest or eventually gain the interest to go deeper in to the ART where he will learn that magic is very artistic.

He says its not because its a "little white lie". But he considers painting to be an art. Its like what V says in V for Vendetta. "Artists use lies to tell the truth. Yes, I created a lie. But because you believed it, you found something true about yourself."

Exactly, i think anything CAN be an art if you truely love it?

I have to highly disagree
"Art" is defined as...the products of human creativity.
Anything we do can be considered art, if practiced enough, and done in a special way (At least to me) Even none "artistic things as we say" are viewed as art. When someone graduates with an english degree, its known as a degree of the Arts. Or someone graduating with a history degree, its known as a degree of the arts also.
Anything we do can be art, we just need to do it differently from those doing it in the past and be creative with it.
Juggling is an art... However juggling 2 balls slowly is something we can all do and i dont consider that to be art. But when someone takes 5 balls, juggles them at lightning speeds, while moving or dancing....THATS ART. Its amazing.
Same thing with magic, doing an ambitious card routine just like Card College 2 is not art, but changing the patter, making it fit your performance, adjusting it to the spectators.... thats art. You got creative with it.

Dec 10, 2007
It could also have something to do with the superiority complex and know-it-all-ness of magicians...

How does that take away the "art in art"? Art is anyway that you express yourself at least to me. I wouldnt say that ANYTHING can be considered an art just because it requires skill.

At the same time, the idea that there can only be a few arts or it cheapens the idea of art is ridiculous.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I would think that the 'art' refers to (in the largest part) the magician, and his/her role as a magician. Just like acting is an 'art' so is the performance of magic 'tricks'. So no, sales is not an art, but yes, perhaps the con could see his work as an art because of the performance aspect.

It is not a lie that magicians or magic sites have created, this 'classification' exists in the world at large: take a look at what faculty 'acting' falls under at a university for example. In the same way any performance 'art' would fall under that category in the academic community. Heck, even oral communication and public speaking is considered in the realm of 'the arts'.

Just my initial thoughts. :)

thanks for the post

justin

hmm, just looking up the definition of art and found these among the points:
1. the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.
2. the class of objects subject to aesthetic criteria; works of art collectively, as paintings, sculptures, or drawings: a museum of art; an art collection.
4. the fine arts collectively, often excluding architecture: art and architecture.
5. any field using the skills or techniques of art: advertising art; industrial art.
7. the principles or methods governing any craft or branch of learning: the art of baking; the art of selling.
8. the craft or trade using these principles or methods.
9. skill in conducting any human activity: a master at the art of conversation.
10. a branch of learning or university study, esp. one of the fine arts or the humanities, as music, philosophy, or literature.
12. skilled workmanship, execution, or agency, as distinguished from nature.
13. trickery; cunning: glib and devious art.
14. studied action; artificiality in behavior.
15. an artifice or artful device: the innumerable arts and wiles of politics.

case closed. ;)

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
Let me ask you guys this. Yo Yo Ma is a magnificent cellist. He has composed no major works himself. He is however, very technically sound which he acheived through hours of practice. Is he an artist?

Mar 29, 2008
This topic is BEAT to death - here is the thing, I think that leaning one way OR the other is the problem. Because as a society we have already defined what common art is - paintings, music, etc - this apparently leave no room for "new" art.

If I draw a picture of a stickman - that is not art - but the Mona Lisa is - very different right?

So what defines are - well - it has to have meaning to someone other than the artist, it sometimes has a message, it sometimes takes much skill...it varies - as real art should.

Is magic an ART? That depends - we have heard of performance art - but really - magic as a whole...I don't really think it is an art. It can be done in artful ways - like juggling. Sometimes juggling is just juggling - and sometimes it can look beautiful and artistic...but someone can watch the clip below and say "it is just juggling to music" or "that is really artistic" - so this is art - it is up to the person watching it - NOT the person doing it, to make that decision.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8f8drk5Urw&feature=related

some will argue that Raymond Craft is an artist
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW-3KwXpkkM

but are all shadow puppets art - because I do a mean dog and butterfly?

I think the way magic is done by most - it is not artistic - this doesn't make it NOT an art - but in my defintion - the standard performance are NOT artistic. Just because it takes skill, at least to me, doesn't make it an "art" - as it takes skill to perform surgery...I wouldn't call that art - nor would I call a skilled swimmer or diver an artist. Performer...maybe.

Read what Ortiz says on the matter - as he talks about how we are the only people that use the word ART - hell...even painters, musicians, and so on...hardly use that word - they use the word CRAFT.

If you are going to start calling magic an "art" then you better be an artistic magician - or you are just doing magic - a great craft.

If you don't agree with this - I have an awesome picture I did in pencil crayon of a tree beside a house...it's a ONE of a kind work of art, I even stayed in the lines - I will sell it to you for a real cheap price compared to other million dollor works of art - it is yours CardGuy90, all you have to do is realized that just because someone is doing something that CAN be considered artistic - doesn't make it art - and my "art" work is yours!

MAGIC CAN be an ARTISTIC - but it isn't an ART. However, if you want to believe you are...feel free, but I would love to see your "art" work, as my guess is it's about as artistic as my pencil crayon drawing!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results