Two effects I'd die to know more about!

Aug 10, 2009
there is this magician over here who regulary does street magic and i am always there to watch if i got time when he performs. also he helped me out with some things i do but he doesnt want to tell anything about these two things he does except for the names. i can not find them anywhere else as well but maybe you know more?

"WowMG" (dont know how its written)
Masuda's WOW effect without the card case or any other visible gimmick but it definitly is gimmicked. spectator gets a card signed, "lost" in the deck, magician takes top card (i seen him doing it with the about 7th card from the top too), shakes it slowly, and you see it changing in to the signed selection. when I thought i seen it all, he today did it in a ambitious card routine where the card went from the 'middle' right through the top card. same effect again.

"Through"
Card through window effect. Signed selection, not back in the deck, magician only holds that card and walks to the window, slides his hand down the glass and the card suddenly is on the other side (within a second for sure because card and sign are in sight all the time and havin the closest opening being about 5 meters away). also an instant reset as he once did it with two cards, one by one ending up next to each other (but not like perfectly synchonised).

if any of you know more, pleeeaaaase tell me where to find more about it? I know I had to film it but i cant film with my phone and the one person that i saw filming something i dont know. Im daily looking for it all over youtube and all.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
"Through"
Card through window effect. Signed selection, not back in the deck, magician only holds that card and walks to the window, slides his hand down the glass and the card suddenly is on the other side (within a second for sure because card and sign are in sight all the time and havin the closest opening being about 5 meters away).

That sounds like Window by David Stone. Whip it out at www.ellusionist.com

G

there is this magician over here who regulary does street magic and i am always there to watch if i got time when he performs. also he helped me out with some things i do but he doesnt want to tell anything about these two things he does except for the names. i can not find them anywhere else as well but maybe you know more?

Masuda's WOW effect without the card case or any other visible gimmick but it definitly is gimmicked. spectator gets a card signed, "lost" in the deck, magician takes top card (i seen him doing it with the about 7th card from the top too), shakes it slowly, and you see it changing in to the signed selection. when I thought i seen it all, he today did it in a ambitious card routine where the card went from the 'middle' right through the top card. same effect again.

"Through"
Card through window effect. Signed selection, not back in the deck, magician only holds that card and walks to the window, slides his hand down the glass and the card suddenly is on the other side (within a second for sure because card and sign are in sight all the time and havin the closest opening being about 5 meters away). also an instant reset as he once did it with two cards, one by one ending up next to each other (but not like perfectly synchonised).

if any of you know more, pleeeaaaase tell me where to find more about it? I know I had to film it but i cant film with my phone and the one person that i saw filming something i dont know. Im daily looking for it all over youtube and all.

Also as known as the illulsionary cards sleeve. it can be $60 for the orginal, but the new BLANK WOW trick is $120.

You can get these at fantasmamagic.com or at there store in NYC. Or you can get it from the Las Vegas Magic Co for around $30

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Because it's not enough to admire a magician - you have to dig up all his best effects and take them for yourself too. Knowing the trick won't make you as good as him, if anything, copying makes you worse. It's the magician who makes the trick, as they say.

Aug 10, 2009
That sounds like Window by David Stone. Whip it out at www.ellusionist.com

G
but window isnt actually card through window, it's more a transposition/color change through window. i meant an actual 'penetration'.

Also as known as the illulsionary cards sleeve. it can be $60 for the orginal, but the new BLANK WOW trick is $120.

You can get these at fantasmamagic.com or at there store in NYC. Or you can get it from the Las Vegas Magic Co for around $30
is a "Blank WOW" the same effect without the card sleeve? that is what i meant.

Because it's not enough to admire a magician - you have to dig up all his best effects and take them for yourself too. Knowing the trick won't make you as good as him, if anything, copying makes you worse. It's the magician who makes the trick, as they say.
oh ofcourse! i wouldnt want to copy him, it just loved the effects as i think they are the very best of their kind: the best card through window and the best color change effects. the problem is that i cant find anything about it, thats why i asked.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
On the trailer, Stone makes it appear as thogh the card penetrated, and then changes it. So I think you could change it a bit so as to make the card penetrate cleanly. Otherwise, I'm out ;)

G

Dec 14, 2007
but window isnt actually card through window, it's more a transposition/color change through window. i meant an actual 'penetration'.

is a "Blank WOW" the same effect without the card sleeve? that is what i meant.

oh ofcourse! i wouldnt want to copy him, it just loved the effects as i think they are the very best of their kind: the best card through window and the best color change effects. the problem is that i cant find anything about it, thats why i asked.

So, the way you want to repay this guy - who has helped you out - is by going behind his back so you can do the two tricks he asked, as a courtesy, that you leave alone.

CLassy.

Aug 10, 2009
On the trailer, Stone makes it appear as thogh the card penetrated, and then changes it. So I think you could change it a bit so as to make the card penetrate cleanly. Otherwise, I'm out ;)

G
its the whole difference of seeing the card going through and not isnt it?:( i really seen the signed card going from the magician's hand to the other side of the glass without anything visibly being on the glass to start off with.

I have WOW and although it is a great affect you can't give out the plastic wallet at the end.
Josh
thats the whole deal. he didnt have a the wallet. the effect was exactly the same though, only without the wallet, so without any visible gimmick. and afterwards he could give away the card right away. for the actual WOW gimmick, there is a way to hand out the wallet. it needs a little bit of misdirection and that is hard to get after doing the change but yeah.

So, the way you want to repay this guy - who has helped you out - is by going behind his back so you can do the two tricks he asked, as a courtesy, that you leave alone.

CLassy.
nononono haha. i just want to know if there is anything similary out there, that i could do the same effects as he doesnt want to say anything about them but it seems like it are total originals. still a shame there arent videos because i am sure you would want to know how they are done too when you seen it.;)

doesnt it ever bother you when there is an effect you would love to add to your repertoir but not being able to find it anywhere?:(

Aug 18, 2008
its the whole difference of seeing the card going through and not isnt it?:( i really seen the signed card going from the magician's hand to the other side of the glass without anything visibly being on the glass to start off with.

thats the whole deal. he didnt have a the wallet. the effect was exactly the same though, only without the wallet, so without any visible gimmick. and afterwards he could give away the card right away. for the actual WOW gimmick, there is a way to hand out the wallet. it needs a little bit of misdirection and that is hard to get after doing the change but yeah.

nononono haha. i just want to know if there is anything similary out there, that i could do the same effects as he doesnt want to say anything about them but it seems like it are total originals. still a shame there arent videos because i am sure you would want to know how they are done too when you seen it.;)
(

You just told us you were looking for the exact effects to immitate. Listen to your friend, leave them alone, be your own magician not a cheap copy

Aug 10, 2009
You just told us you were looking for the exact effects to immitate. Listen to your friend, leave them alone, be your own magician not a cheap copy

he didnt tell me to leave them alone but he just didnt want to tell me how they were done. something else he always says which i totally agree with is that magic is about the performance and not about the methods. i am just looking for methods, wherever i can find them and no matter how much they cost to do an effect similar to what thesetwo looked like but i am totally lost. ofcourse if i would know it i would make it totally my own performance, not just a cheap copy. dont tell me all the things you do are original as well are they?:)

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
he didnt tell me to leave them alone but he just didnt want to tell me how they were done. something else he always says which i totally agree with is that magic is about the performance and not about the methods. i am just looking for methods, wherever i can find them and no matter how much they cost to do an effect similar to what thesetwo looked like but i am totally lost. ofcourse if i would know it i would make it totally my own performance, not just a cheap copy. dont tell me all the things you do are original as well are they?:)

All my material is original because I take common effects and through my personal creative vision for my performances, create something unique to myself. I do not take the effects of performers I see - unless specifically given the effect for a purpose (testing an effect, etc.). I certainly don't want to copy acts.

What I and Brad and some others have hinted at is that you seem to be captivated by your fellow magician's vision, the work and research he has done into his own routines, and want to take that for yourself. There is an incredible difference between deciding that you want to perform a certain type of effect, and seeing a magician's performances, and wanting to perform exactly what he performs. You haven't said this outright, but the mere fact you are being very specific about asking for very exact methods that look EXACTLY like the effect he performed, suggests that your posts notwithstanding, you really just want an identical looking effect - taken from everything that fooled you - for all intents and purposes, essentially, imitation.

A more appropriate question in my opinion would be to ask would be where the origins, basics and quintessential developments of the plot could be found - and then decide for yourself what you want to perform, rather than looking for an effect with as identical as possible mechanics to someone else's effect.

It sounded like the magician you know did not want you to perform the effects at all but was too polite to say so outright.

Sep 1, 2007
England
If he gave you the names of the two tricks, but nobody's heard of them and you still can't find any information on them, then either they are not for sale, or he gave you false names because he didn't want you to find them.

I would leave it be, go work out something for yourself that you can fool him with.

Tom

Aug 10, 2009
All my material is original because I take common effects and through my personal creative vision for my performances, create something unique to myself. I do not take the effects of performers I see - unless specifically given the effect for a purpose (testing an effect, etc.). I certainly don't want to copy acts.
do you mean effect as in the magic completly? i see an effect as the special thing that happens and the magic is both the performance and that effect (which from a magicians point of view would be the trick, but its an effect to the spectators).

What I and Brad and some others have hinted at is that you seem to be captivated by your fellow magician's vision, the work and research he has done into his own routines, and want to take that for yourself. There is an incredible difference between deciding that you want to perform a certain type of effect, and seeing a magician's performances, and wanting to perform exactly what he performs. You haven't said this outright, but the mere fact you are being very specific about asking for very exact methods that look EXACTLY like the effect he performed, suggests that your posts notwithstanding, you really just want an identical looking effect - taken from everything that fooled you - for all intents and purposes, essentially, imitation.
i am not looking for the exact answer. i am looking for something similar. is there a one card through window that doesnt use the rest of the deck out there? that is what i meant to ask, anything similar. ofcourse my whole presentation would be different as his style isnt mine.

A more appropriate question in my opinion would be to ask would be where the origins, basics and quintessential developments of the plot could be found - and then decide for yourself what you want to perform, rather than looking for an effect with as identical as possible mechanics to someone else's effect.
then i would like to change my question to yours as that is what i meant.:) thanks.

It sounded like the magician you know did not want you to perform the effects at all but was too polite to say so outright.
nono he would love it. he is always interested in how solid his stuff is. its more that he challenged me.

If he gave you the names of the two tricks, but nobody's heard of them and you still can't find any information on them, then either they are not for sale, or he gave you false names because he didn't want you to find them.

I would leave it be, go work out something for yourself that you can fool him with.

Tom
how do you fool someone who watches straight through everything. how do you fool someone who figured out Latimer's Laser Fiction right away and was able to reproduce it within a week? :(

Dec 14, 2007

doesnt it ever bother you when there is an effect you would love to add to your repertoir but not being able to find it anywhere?:(

You don't get it - you are trying to do something SIMILAR - which means you are trying to BE similar - which is not good for you, your friend or magic.

If I see another magician do a trick and I like it - then I need to ASK THEM if it is ok if I explore the idea THEY led me to.

If they say yes, then great. If they say no - as your friend apparently did - then you need to leave it alone.

Sorry, all the rationalizing in the world won't help you. You saw someone do a trick and you want to take his work and use it for your own purposes without their blessing or permission.

That is WRONG.

Go buy some books and find something out there that can be uniquely yours.

Another magician's act is NOT a smorgasboard for you to go picking through for ideas.

Jan 10, 2008

Are you sure that he is not using the Polaroid Change that is taught on the site in the 1 on 1 section?

Aug 10, 2009
You don't get it - you are trying to do something SIMILAR - which means you are trying to BE similar - which is not good for you, your friend or magic.

If I see another magician do a trick and I like it - then I need to ASK THEM if it is ok if I explore the idea THEY led me to.

If they say yes, then great. If they say no - as your friend apparently did - then you need to leave it alone.

Sorry, all the rationalizing in the world won't help you. You saw someone do a trick and you want to take his work and use it for your own purposes without their blessing or permission.

That is WRONG.

Go buy some books and find something out there that can be uniquely yours.

Another magician's act is NOT a smorgasboard for you to go picking through for ideas.
i do have permission but its not that he will teach me himself. i dont agree with the doing something similar is wanting to be similar. if you do the ambitious card routine, do you want to be like Daryl for instance? if you do business card magic, do you want to be like Sankey? did you ask them for permission? i think this is the difference between magic and illusions. i think its wrong to do a illusion without asking for permission (but even then it can be a lot of work to figure out the original creator) except if you got the original box and all. but if you gotta do the same for street magic i would quit right away because id be busier with asking for permission than i could actually do magic. maybe im just completely lost.

Are you sure that he is not using the Polaroid Change that is taught on the site in the 1 on 1 section?
he did it very slowly and there was this moment like WOW where you saw both different faces at the same time so i dont think so. thanks though.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
i do have permission but its not that he will teach me himself. i dont agree with the doing something similar is wanting to be similar. if you do the ambitious card routine, do you want to be like Daryl for instance? if you do business card magic, do you want to be like Sankey? did you ask them for permission?

It's pretty clear that he didn't give you permission I think. But why don't you go ask him again then, straight up?

Your examples are very misguided. Daryl and Sankey are professional magicians who sell their material. They give you the right to perform their material upon purchase. The key difference here is this:

You're asking whether performing an ACR is wrong to Daryl - no it is not.

But what you're doing is asking to perform a CTW which looks identical to your magician friend - and that is wrong. There's a big difference between being interested in the plot, and wanting to copy an effect. Wanting to perform an ACR is being interested in the ACR plot. Wanting an effect extremely similar to a fellow magician's act is called copying.

If you had seen Daryl's ACR live, and started wanting to perform his ACR without purchasing any of his material, but wanted an ACR that was identical to his, then yes, that would be wrong.

Your examples bear no relevance to what we're trying to say here.

Dec 14, 2007
Avivia,

If you buy a DVD or book, then you have permission to work on anything in that book.

If you see a trick in a magicians act - you do NOT have permission to work on that material EVEN IF YOU KNOW IT IS IN PRINT.

Jason England has an excellent analogy for this using Indiana Jones as the example. Out of respect, I will not repeat it here. However, to summarize, when you see a magician do something and decide to take that from them - you are taking THEIR work, THEIR vision and THEIR effort from them. The least you can do is ASK.

You want to do a trick similar to your friends.

That is wrong.

Inspiration should leads us to set ourselves apart from our peers - not make us more like them.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results