Gimmicks are WRONG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 4, 2010
This is the first time I've seen a LOT of discussion being productive and quality people responding. We all MUST learn something from these past 100 posts, that yes:

HOW THE EFFECT IS DONE DOES NOT MATTER. ONLY IF THE AUDIENCE IS ENJOYING THEMSELVES AND HAVING FUN IS THE REASON WHY WE DO MAGIC AND ILLUSIONS.

So you see? I started this thread to see a magician's point of view on the subject. This was the response I was waiting for. So thank you so much guys for being very active and participating. There is still more to discuss, so if there's anything you would like to add in please do!

Cheers,

Casey Rudd

I know your thanks was directed at them but since I kick-started them, you're welcome. =D

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
If your whole is gimmicks, you don't think that is overuse?

Like Draven said, no. If the audience is entertained, then no, that's not overuse.

Magic is not about you, it's about the people watching and experiencing it. As long as they are experiencing magic, how you do it is irrelevant.

Sep 1, 2007
Some people here reply negatively... like Steerpike. I would say that 80% of the time, what he says is said purely from the fact that the man just loves to argue and win. But underneath all the swearing and machoman fighting ego, what he says actually makes sense.

Truth be told, I hate winning arguments here. It's too ****ing easy and I don't learn a goddamn thing in the process. Like I said, I'm not the dumbass in the room and that bothers me.

Quite frankly, I'm amazed I get away with half the **** I do. The only person who smacks me down with any regularity is Brad Henderson. And he has enough experience under his belt that I still can't believe he deigns to acknowledge my existence. I push pretty hard, but precious few actually push back.

Mar 4, 2010
Truth be told, I hate winning arguments here. It's too ****ing easy and I don't learn a goddamn thing in the process. Like I said, I'm not the dumbass in the room and that bothers me.

Quite frankly, I'm amazed I get away with half the **** I do. The only person who smacks me down with any regularity is Brad Henderson. And he has enough experience under his belt that I still can't believe he deigns to acknowledge my existence. I push pretty hard, but precious few actually push back.

Some don't have cojones, some can't and some just plain can't be bothered.

If it makes you feel any better, I still think your an egotistical asshat from time to time.

Mar 4, 2010
Put your ego down boy. It serves you no good here. The only kick you've had is a good one into the seat of your pants.

No, without me, this thread wouldn't be half of what it is today. Deny it all you want but no-one can argue with the truth, I made a post so people decided to get up me for it, if I didn't make the post, there would be nothing for anyone to get up me for and it would be stuck at 5 pages long or wherever I joined. Sorry but this one you cannot win.

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
No, without me, this thread wouldn't be half of what it is today.

And that's all that really matters.
Deny it all you want but no-one can argue with the truth, I made a post so people decided to get up me for it, if I didn't make the post, there would be nothing for anyone to get up me for and it would be stuck at 5 pages long or wherever I joined. Sorry but this one you cannot win.

Good for you. You want a f***ing cookie now?

Jul 13, 2009
Good for you. You want a f***ing cookie now?

A man dressed in tight fitting leather pants with a studded, leather jacket draped over his shoulders covering a tight fitting wife beater. In his gloved hands is a riding crop which makes a loud snapping sound each time it slaps his palm. Across his chest painted onto the wife beater is the word, "Cookie"

In a deep burly voice he asks, "Did someone order a Cookie?"

No, without me, this thread wouldn't be half of what it is today. Deny it all you want but no-one can argue with the truth, I made a post so people decided to get up me for it, if I didn't make the post, there would be nothing for anyone to get up me for and it would be stuck at 5 pages long or wherever I joined. Sorry but this one you cannot win.

Quality over quantity.

If you win at the special Olympics even though you go home with a gold medal, at the end of the day you're still retarded.

Jul 13, 2009
I agree with everything you've said in this thread, but that's just not cool dude.

Rev

Oh please that internet meme is older then my mother. Another thing is it is just a line of words, they only gain any power when you give it power. It's like Racism, it is only offensive to the one who perceives it as offensive. Catch my drift?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Another thing is it is just a line of words, they only gain any power when you give it power. It's like Racism, it is only offensive to the one who perceives it as offensive. Catch my drift?

True, but the words used reflect the attitude of the person using them and encourage a similar attitude among others who do not know any better... unless someone speaks up. A person may choose not to be offended by the words, but the attitude of the person speaking the words remains offensive.

Sep 1, 2007

Was it your intention to generate controversy? If not, then don't be so quick to congratulate yourself.

True, but the words used reflect the attitude of the person using them and encourage a similar attitude among others who do not know any better... unless someone speaks up. A person may choose not to be offended by the words, but the attitude of the person speaking the words remains offensive.

So are we then to dress up the full spectrum of our emotions and opinions in baby talk and platitudes so as to avoid offending some hypothetical ingenue?

Or do you mean to suggest that you think Will actually has some personal vendetta against retarded people and is taking it out on us?

How young is your mother!?!?

Hyperbole. Gotta love it.

And i never said i was insulted, just calling people a retard and putting down the achievements of those who compete in the special olympics all at once is really low.

Should I hand you a kleenex or a tampon?

I don't get why some people think the rest of the world appointed them as their keepers. Do they actually think that the various demographics and minorities want or need a faceless army of cliche-spouting randoms to speak in their defense?

Mar 4, 2010
A man dressed in tight fitting leather pants with a studded, leather jacket draped over his shoulders covering a tight fitting wife beater. In his gloved hands is a riding crop which makes a loud snapping sound each time it slaps his palm. Across his chest painted onto the wife beater is the word, "Cookie"

In a deep burly voice he asks, "Did someone order a Cookie?"

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Jul 13, 2009
How young is your mother!?!?

Are you retarded? :confused:

And i never said i was insulted, just calling people a retard and putting down the achievements of those who compete in the special olympics all at once is really low.

Rev

I bet you didn't know a few days back it was national Retard day. It was the day that the people who fund the special olympics petitioned to ban the use of the word Retard in media.

What a stupid move on the retards part. They are putting the word retard in the same class as nigger. But wait lets stop and think about what is different. Nigga or nigger is used by the blacks to address each other. It is a powerless word now, African American's have embraced the word and brought it to a level where it is no longer offensive to most African Americans and is almost as powerless as the word **** used out of it's definition, you know like as a common expletive.

If the mentally handicapped embraced the word instead of drawing negative connotations to it, it would become novel and noneffective. Before you get the idea that I am for using derogitory terms I will say this, I don't actively say them in day to day life because they do nothing to add to my speech.

Same thing could apply to your magic words all have meaning, but some are more powerful then others. If you don't believe me, look up Kenton Knepper.

*mutters to himself* God that was a terrible attempt at a save.

Mar 4, 2010
Dude what hell did you just say?

Do good I am english at speaking. :confused:

You’ve got to be kidding me. I’ve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It’s just common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results