Big Ass Box of Magic Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2008
Bad news... karma finally got me in the ass and the SM people refunded my money. You'd think that is a good thing, but look at this note:

We received your extremely rude emails and have absolutely no interest in having you as a customer any longer. Here is a full refund for your 'big box' order. Jay Sankey

Stay tuned, I'll upload the convos to the public because I have nothing left to lose from this. It's over, but I really wanted to get the box... so I suppose I'd have to find another way to obtain the items.

Oct 13, 2008
NOTE: THE FOLLOWING WAS WRITTEN BEFORE SANKEY MAGIC CHOSE TO BETRAY ME.

This was the entire conversation.

SEAN:

Hello Sir or Madam,

It is August 1 today and the UPS truck STILL has not shown up, and I'm beginning to worry. Should I get a refund? What new information have you found on my order (50093)?

I also must remind you that you initially said you would put the In a Flash effect refill in the box. I hope you're right :-/ Been tracking the forums all over the net for a WHILE (which explain the situation in quite extensive and credible detail) and I pray for the best for myself. But still...

Can you please provide a tracking number for the UPS? I HAVE to know.

Thanks,
Sean

ERIC:

Hello,

Thanks for getting in touch. That is very strange that it has not arrived
yet. We shipped it out weeks ago to this address:

[Not provided here, but the number had one digit missing]

And UPS says it was dropped off.

Please let us know immediately if there is any problem with this address.

You have been a great customer of ours for a long time and we want to take
EXTRA good care of you. Count on it.

We really appreciate your business!

Hope to hear back from you soon!

Thanks again,

Eric

SEAN:

****... No WONDER! isn't it [censored]?

Please let me know the tracking number right away, I want to check what THEY had in mind.

PLEASE! I NEED ANSWERS!!!
I tried calling the UPS but they are not able to proceed without a tracking number. I believe that the box might be held in a customer center near my area, but in order to check, I WOULD NEED THE NUMBER. Worst case scenario is that they delivered the box to the wrong address and we'd ALL have to start over. Please let me know what the next step should be.

There was no way for me to double check what was actually placed on the label, so please bear with me for my pushiness, but I [huh, never finished it... oh well]

ERIC:

We are so so so sorry. We double-checked your file and OF COURSE the
address is wrong. This is clearly 100% our screw-up and so we will do
whatever you want.

If you want a refund- done, of course.

If you want a second big box shipped out to you tomorrow, again- done. We
will of course cover all the charges.

If you want us to ship out a second big box + 3 other dvds of YOUR CHOICE
from whatever you want on our site- again, DONE.

When we screw up, which isn't often, we are well-known for taking FULL
RESPONSIBILITY.

Just let us know what you want us to do.

Again, please accept our apologies! You are the LAST customer we would've
wanted to let down. You have been a great and loyal customer and we really
appreciate your business.

Really upset,
:(
Eric

PS. We are out-of-stock on several of the items originally featured in the
big box. But as we have done with many of the boxes, we can of course
include some substitute items of equal or greater value. We had to do that
with MANY of the big boxes and we've received dozens of awesome comments
in return. :)

I'll have to provide my replies separately, but basically, at this point, I have them twisted around my pinky finger, while I'm holding them by the Wuxi finger hold with the other hand. My plan? [I don't think it would be alright to post what I had intended to do in public]

So I get two boxes instead of one :D

Oct 13, 2008
And my response?

I see...

I wish to discuss this with you further. I have many layers of stratagem in place in case of failure. I never expected THIS kind of mistake of all things to happen, but I would attribute this to honest mishandling rather than malicious deception (as you have been very recently accused of).

You have a scanner and MS Word, right? Please follow these instructions to a T. I'm attaching a list of items that was originally intended for the box. Feel free to print this document, and place an x in each of the checkboxes for any items you have available (the items with checkmarks in them I already have possession of, except for the Pandora's Box gimmicks). Strike through (with one line) any items that are currently out of stock should you wish to recreate the package if the original was permanently lost. Then on a separate sheet of paper write down a comprehensive list of any substitute items (and their prices) that I can choose from, and then scan the result (both lists) and email me back with the images.

I also need an exact inventory of the box you already sent and any tracking numbers so that I can do what I can with the UPS to reclaim my original package. I think that they have it in their customer center in [CITY REMOVED], but I would NEED the tracking numbers so that I can verify with them and get my sh*t and get it taken care of.

[I have been criticized for this deleted part and I regret what I said there.]

I hope to hear back from you very soon, and we can arrange a deal later on.
Also, if it is impossible to reclaim the original package, please send me the In a Flash gimmick set as was originally promised with the original box.
Consider yourselves very lucky that your failure was due to accidental oversight as opposed to mail fraud. And I am a very patient furson. I do not take being on the victim end of sheer malicious deception lightly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 13, 2008
I personally admit that my response was greedy and somewhat psychotic if you think about it. I was high on the illusion that I had substantial leverage over the situation. I suppose that I wasn't so much in control after all. I should have asked gently instead of bombastically threatening them in this matter.

HOWEVER. It is all the same that this bipolar response from the company was UNACCEPTABLE. Compare with this response previously taken:

Are you kidding? YOU being 'pushy?' You are too too kind my friend. We
screwed up and you are being super patient and nice about it.

Hope you got our other email (just sent.)

Pls just tell us how we can make it up to you.

:(
Eric

If they had simply told me something along the lines of "uh... we can't do that... BUT we CAN refund the money if you want it :)" then I would have just walked away from this. The collective anger from the forums and disgrace at the situation got to my head, however, and resulted in what you see above. If he was nicer, I would let it go. However, by adding insult to injury by telling me "take your money... and don't you ever come back!" they have brought DESTRUCTIVE karma upon themselves. Remember I said that I could be vindictive, persistent and meticulous? Telling me to f uck off and don't return... well then, two can play at this game. I may have paid the price for my demeanor over the past few days, but if there's something they should be upset about, it is not about what I've done to them, it's about what I'm about to do.

But I need your help. Please PM me for the details.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
And my response?

Actually, Sankey had the right to do what he said right there. That was the stupidest thing you could have written.

If I was part of any company at all and I received a message threatening to get "revenge" by any means, even illegally, I would never do business with you ever again.

Oct 13, 2008
I suppose. However, time tells no lies and there's nothing anyone can do to stop the events that they have set in motion. I'm very sad and disappointed with myself for what will happen... but what must be done must be done.

Oct 13, 2008
Actually, Sankey had the right to do what he said right there. That was the stupidest thing you could have written.

If I was part of any company at all and I received a message threatening to get "revenge" by any means, even illegally, I would never do business with you ever again.

I'm still upset with them right now, but maybe you're right that I should walk away from this. The real question is though whether I would be able to.

Oct 13, 2008
Tell them that I was psychotic? It won't change anything now that I got my money back, and it seems like at this point they will stand their ground.

Then again, what have I got to lose?

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
Tell them that I was psychotic? It won't change anything now that I got my money back, and it seems like at this point they will stand their ground.

Then again, what have I got to lose?

This entire SM business is interesting to say the least. You were going good man...until your rant. Bad idea. They were going to give you another BABOM. You ****ed up.

Oct 13, 2008
I know. I became arrogant and this is what I get.

At least I sent them an apology about it.

Don't worry guys, I cooled down and am more sane now :)

Originally it was that one of us could win (me or Sankey). But pride goes before a fall and now both of us have lost the battle.

Jul 31, 2011
Stupid computer wont let me reply with quote...but yeah I agree with the consensus that your last email shouldn't have been done. It was aggressive. Especially the part about you being vindictive. That had no place on your message. Believe me, I have sent messages when I was pissed off and those messages were fatal mistakes. Not going into detail what they were, but I can assure you they are non-magic related. Hopefully you learned something Sean.

Oct 13, 2008
Stupid computer wont let me reply with quote...but yeah I agree with the consensus that your last email shouldn't have been done. It was aggressive. Especially the part about you being vindictive. That had no place on your message. Believe me, I have sent messages when I was pissed off and those messages were fatal mistakes. Not going into detail what they were, but I can assure you they are non-magic related. Hopefully you learned something Sean.

I did. :( only consolation is the mountain of legal trouble he's gotten. I suppose we've taken him down along with us.

Apr 2, 2008
Just Another Appreciative Customer

"Got my BAB on the 1st. Over the past 3 days I have watched every DVD. Read every booklet and even listened to the CD. I love it all. I have to say that out of everything, one of my favorite effects is "Breakdown" from the "M3NTAL" booklet. I am instantly going to start using that routine. I just love it. And I was blown away with "Blockbuster." I've been ending my stand up shows with "Paperclipped" for about a year now and it gets great reactions. BUT I think I'm going to start using blockbuster as a closer instead of Paperclipped every now and then. I was worried I was going to have to do a top change once the card was removed from the board and I
am SO glad you don't. It really would have taken away from the organic feel. Big thanks to Jay and big thanks to Jay's team."-Madison Hagler

Jan 29, 2009
"Got my BAB on the 1st. Over the past 3 days I have watched every DVD. Read every booklet and even listened to the CD. I love it all. I have to say that out of everything, one of my favorite effects is "Breakdown" from the "M3NTAL" booklet. I am instantly going to start using that routine. I just love it. And I was blown away with "Blockbuster." I've been ending my stand up shows with "Paperclipped" for about a year now and it gets great reactions. BUT I think I'm going to start using blockbuster as a closer instead of Paperclipped every now and then. I was worried I was going to have to do a top change once the card was removed from the board and I
am SO glad you don't. It really would have taken away from the organic feel. Big thanks to Jay and big thanks to Jay's team."-Madison Hagler

That's great Jay. How about addressing the questions/statements I left for you?

What should we be assuming by your lack of response?

Oct 13, 2008
I sure hope that jay acknowledges my apology; that would give the closure I'd need from this mess and assure me that everything's going to be alright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results