Custom Cards Are Bad?

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
lol Brian, I agree with Thrall, why do you insist on being an egomaniac when it comes to magic and flourishes? Why perform if all you do is show off and aim to humiliate them when it does work?

I hate to say this, but if people suspect your cards... Practice more. Your YouTube videos obviously show sleight of hand skill which I respect, but practice performing to audiences more, it sounds like you need it.

Nov 15, 2007
Ada Oklahoma
Not What I can
Just my Flourishes
I could say I'm practicing
but really I'm just SHowingOff(Vol3)

Really

I got them as gifts
I leave them in my backpack because I don't use them
I actually tried to use them before and it didn't work
I only used them twice and got the same results
I will never use those stupid cards again
I gave them away(who cares how the person that gave them to me feels,they should be ashamed for getting me those cards)

Not all the time
Only when they ask me to show them stuff
I'm not a clown
I do magic when I want,
not when they want me to
I usually do Heckler on them{when I really feel like humiliating them}
Or a bill change( I keep the bill)

Of Course
But it happens more to the skilled

Yo, Brain, or Brian, whatever. I have question for you: Are you trying to write some sort of Japanese poem or are you trying yo be cool? Write normally, it looks better.

-SM

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I will never use those stupid cards again
I gave them away(who cares how the person that gave them to me feels,they should be ashamed for getting me those cards)
Do you know how harsh you're being there?

Not all the time
Only when they ask me to show them stuff
I'm not a clown
I do magic when I want,
not when they want me to
I usually do Heckler on them{when I really feel like humiliating them}
Or a bill change( I keep the bill)

True, without the magician, there's no magic but without the audience there's no magic either. If the magician is good, as you obviously think you are, they will get a reputation. If they get a reputation, people will ask the magician to show them stuff. If the magician tells them to eff off, then the specs are gonna come away thinking "What a ****er!" and there goes ur beautiful reputation. Personally, I don't think a magician that only performs when and where he (or she) feels like is an especially good magician (or just a completely self centered one).

Well that's my opinion at least.

bentley

Elite Member
Nov 23, 2007
Brian, this is sad. It really is. You want to humiliate those who are interested in seeing the end result of all these hours of practice you have putting into your work?

You speak all about wanting to "ShowOff(Vol 3)" for people, and then when asked to, you want to humiliate them? I'm just wondering where the logic on this is.

And you STEAL from them? You do a bill change and keep their money?

*shakes head*

-ThrallMind
I got his Generation Extreme from a promotion Penguin adand I think it is time to give it away or sell it. I lost disrespect for him. Stealing and humiliating someone for wanting to see what you have done and worked hard for is just wrong. I know he doesn't care and I personally don't care that he doesn't care. I definately lost every ounce of respect for him.

Aug 5, 2008
They are not bad they are Horrible.And the way Brian Types does look like a Japanese Poem.I hate those stupid cards,they are just a way to get money from kids that dont know any better.to the people that say they are not bad they are either E fanboys or just not grown up.Those cards look like trick cards and people are smart enough to understand that.The more suspicious items you have the more suspicious they will be.And to the person that says that People think the deck is tricked because you are not doing the tricks good enough you are completely wrong.I perform My magic with regular Bicycle Reds and they think those are trick cards because my sleight of hand was good ebough to fool them.They didnt see my sleights so the trick deck is the only option.By adding a Custom to the mix you multiply your chances of being called a Phony by a 100

I perform My magic with regular Bicycle Reds and they think those are trick cards because my sleight of hand was good ebough to fool them.They didnt see my sleights so the trick deck is the only option.By adding a Custom to the mix you multiply your chances of being called a Phony by a 100

So your sleight of hand is so good that even with regular Bikes (which are only regular in the USA, or don't you realise that other countries exist?) you still get people believing the deck must be tricked?

Therefore...? Uh?? So custom cards looked tricked....?

Please, everyone that believes that the whole world recognises Bicycle Brand Playing cards as the de facto cards of choice for the discerning layman, please raise your hand.

There's a simple truth, and it's in two parts:

1) If you execute a mind-numbing effect well enough, they'll think the deck is somehow screwy and want to see it.

2) If you let them see it and they find it isn't screwy, they won't believe it's screwy.

The human mind can't comprehend magic, that's why it's entertaining and that's why people react with the age old..."WTF! How did you do that?" And then, more often than not, want to see the prop you've just astounded them with. It's human nature, it's got nothing to do with what the colour of the deck is like.

Rabid

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
They are not bad they are Horrible.And the way Brian Types does look like a Japanese Poem.I hate those stupid cards,they are just a way to get money from kids that dont know any better.to the people that say they are not bad they are either E fanboys or just not grown up.Those cards look like trick cards and people are smart enough to understand that.The more suspicious items you have the more suspicious they will be.And to the person that says that People think the deck is tricked because you are not doing the tricks good enough you are completely wrong.I perform My magic with regular Bicycle Reds and they think those are trick cards because my sleight of hand was good ebough to fool them.They didnt see my sleights so the trick deck is the only option.By adding a Custom to the mix you multiply your chances of being called a Phony by a 100

Ladies, and Gentlemen! After the space of about one week, may I present to you, the much anticipated...

BrianXnation Version 2.0! The same ignorant argument, now with even tougher to read writing*! With double the generalisations and three times the intolerance of other people's ideas! If you want the same flawed argument repeated in your face until the end of time, wait no more, the time is now. More evasive, more argumentative, more resemblant to a brick wall! Come one, come all, come see the incredible BrianXnation V2.0!

*Writing may or may not appear harder to read depending on the individual. Please consult your local doctor if you are unsure about your vision.

Jul 2, 2008
singapore
hmm where im from i have never been accused of using a trick deck when i was using custom decks. the only time when i was accused was once when i was indeed using a trick blue stripper bicycle deck. but since that time iv never used trick decks and have never been accused of using a trick deck ever again. infact the comments on the cool looking cards always bring a smile onto my face, even when the way i performed wasnt ideal. centurions, split spades, etc have been favourites thus far. but to be honest i rather use regular tally hos for performing as they are durable and the cards feel great. cant wait to get smoke and mirrors looks great.

Sep 1, 2007
to the people that say they are not bad they are either E fanboys or just not grown up.

Not like any of us expect you to back that up with proof, but let's see you try anyway.

Those cards look like trick cards and people are smart enough to understand that.

So they're smart enough to understand they're trick cards even though they're not?

And to the person that says that People think the deck is tricked because you are not doing the tricks good enough you are completely wrong.

Impossible. Me being wrong would bring about Ragnarok.

I perform My magic with regular Bicycle Reds and they think those are trick cards because my sleight of hand was good ebough to fool them.They didnt see my sleights so the trick deck is the only option.By adding a Custom to the mix you multiply your chances of being called a Phony by a 100

So they think it's a trick deck, but it's okay because you didn't use a trick deck? You just force-fed your argument a cyanide pill, Brian.

Jul 26, 2008
NJ
And Besides I look good with any cards in my hand.

And you're so modest!

If it's not a "Tell you why you're wrong thing," then do you just want to hear people tell you that you're right? Probably.

Anyway, I love the look of Ghost decks. And if you want normal-looking custom decks, get a Masters deck. Normal-looking, but lasts way longer and fans better.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
This thread seems to have turned into a big argument like so many others...please, don't feel I'm trying to break it up in any way. It amuses me.

Ps.I just use the normal bikes and I've never been accused of using trick cards. Just so's ya know.

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
I see it like this:

Red or Blue bikes are like jeans. You practice with them, if they get destroyed it's no biggie, you do trick with your friends with them, etc. etc. You know, causal.

But custom decks are when you are trying to impress: Like dressing up in a suit. You use them to perform for important clients and/or events, etc.

I have quite a few custom decks. Some never opened because I kind of "dress the deck" according to my audience, just like I'd dress up or down for the same reason.

Jul 15, 2008
I use custom decks...

Stay away from black ghost 2nd edition, they suck!

When I perform during nighttime (Whoohoo, MTL nightlife!) I like using black cards. I feel that they give off sort of a more elegant look. Drunk people are often very impressed by the cards themselves. I don't particularly recall anyone asking if the deck is gimmicked because of the way it looks... Some people even think the opposite. The deck looks expensive. Why would someone ruin such a deck?

And as for the magic being in the magician and not the deck...or that the cards won't make your magic better... My answer to that is: I like using custom decks because I find they look nice. and I think that if I find that they look nice... wouldn't the spectator think they look nice? Usually, yes!

Anyway, I'm a big fan of the Shadow Masters and Black Tiger decks. I've gotten some crazy reactions from a simple color change using them Black Tigers.

i dont like them because (well some of them arnt like this) but they have black borders
i personally dont like black borders. for tricks and such
also they dont fit in my card clip lol
but other than that i think they are ok
i wouldnt spend that much money on them when i can spend less and get some gaurdians that are a totally different back design and work just as good if not better lol. but other than that i use bikes cause they are cheap, availible and i can make my own gaffs out of them. which is cool

Sep 1, 2007
I like thin cards, so by default I'm not a huge fan of E's Decks, they look great though.

Aug 9, 2008
Custom cards are awful ,I f you are using them then you are either a kid that loves hype or just someone thats too worried about looks, They should all be

burned and stopped,This cards are a real problem with magic today,they dont

make you any better than you are.Sorry but they don't hah aha hha hah ahahahaha

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results