Beginner Suggestions

Mar 14, 2008
I know someone who's just getting started in magic. They know almost nothing about it, but they want to learn. Where should they start out? I want to direct them in the right path, but I'm not sure they're fully committed and take the art seriously. Recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Give them Royal Road to Card Magic, tell them to learn a chapter or two in a month, and get them to come back to you in a month. if they've actually mastered stuff and are still going after a month, they're probably committed enough.

Mar 14, 2008
Give them Royal Road to Card Magic, tell them to learn a chapter or two in a month, and get them to come back to you in a month. if they've actually mastered stuff and are still going after a month, they're probably committed enough.
Do you mean to literally give them the book, or should I make them purchase it for themselves?

Jul 16, 2008
you really want to know if there commited tell them to try somthing in Bfu even if they try somthing and get it wrong you will know they are commited

Jul 9, 2008
Wisconsin
Do you mean to literally give them the book, or should I make them purchase it for themselves?

If your not sure whether they'll stick to it, I'd loan them the book. At least let them see if they're really interested in magic.

If you really don't want to loan it to him though tell him to go to the library. I found some decent stuff there.

Sep 1, 2007
What on earth is with the suggestion to hand them a book and then shag off?

The unfortunate thing is that beginners don't really get all that much support. Ask your friend what they'd be interested in learning, point them to some required readings, and work with them. Keep updated on what they're doing.

Oct 28, 2007

no don't do that, the thing about begginners is that they have short attention span to these kinds of things, they don't want to read a book and get frustrated because they don't understand the machanics of it.
reading the book will make it seem more complex then it really is to them.

i suggest maybe teaching them something from the book in detail, tell them to practice not preform, for a week or two (while you guide them along the way so they don't get mad) and once you think they are ready have them go out and preform a trick or two a couple times. If they preform and get a good reaction they will get hooked on it and want more. If they mess up encourage them to keep trying until they get a few good reactions to get them hooked on it.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
no don't do that, the thing about begginners is that they have short attention span to these kinds of things, they don't want to read a book and get frustrated because they don't understand the machanics of it.
reading the book will make it seem more complex then it really is to them.

That's exactly the point. The idea is to see how committed they are and if they will persevere in their magic learning. They don't want to read a book and get frustrated? They will if they actually want to learn magic. If they want to learn, they'll read it and study it until they do. Especially if they have a short attention span. The idea, again, is to test them, and if they continue, then they are clearly committed. THEN, you can start properly teaching them, going through the book with them, etc.

After a month, don't judge them by how far they've gotten - but how much they've tried to get it down. If they come out of the first month with a ****ty double lift, you have the rest of their life to teach them double lifts; what's more important is to judge whether or not they put the effort into the double lift during that month. However, if they can do a double fine but only looked at the book for a day, what on earth use is teaching them magic gonna be? They'll keep learning and stopping after a day until they reach something more difficult, and give up.

I'm not sure what you did learning magic, but if you haven't struggled through a book before, I'm worried. If you did, what made you? Because you wanted to learn it. Not just to find out how it's done, but to actually learn it.

The primary point of this exercise is not to teach them magic; that is secondary; but to make sure that they will be committed to learning the art of magic. No use telling them that if they want to learn card magic, to go to look at so and so book or DVD if they view the secrets and can't be bothered learning.

Aug 7, 2008
I learned magic by reading a book and getting frusterated, throwing a fit, and starting again. One specific occasion when a book told me to tie a square knot for a rope trick. I had no idea WTH a square knot was. I yelled at the book, threw it around, all while experimenting with the rope. I finally got it and my passion for magic increased 10-fold. Reading a book and getting frusterated is the best way to prove your dedication.

Mar 14, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I think I'll go with praetoritevong on this one.

Jun 23, 2008

im pretty new to all this magic lark... but i think when sum1 is starting an interest in something they dont always have to fully appriciate the art of it.

when Dee was kindling my interest in magic he tried to see what i thought looked the koolest and what my tastes were. D + Ms stuff was the first magic that caught my eye and from there Dee's just intoduced more and more concepts to me.

At first i didnt appriciate the art and i certainly wasn't commited to magic but now iv seen all the effort and pure intelligence that is put into a single act i respect it as an artform.

so all im trying to say is maybe see what your mate is into and what he thinks is amazing. then build on that dont make the person take it uber seriously to start with because it may put him off the scene as it can be a little off putting and overbearing at the beginning.

luv'n'wiggles

xxxlolaxxxx

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results