Magic Shows on TV: Your Picks

One of the best things I remember about television programing growing up in the 80's and 90's was the annual magic TV specials that we'd get from Lance Burton, Copperfield, and others. I believe there was even a serriel called Champions of Magic or something like that as well that showcased the whose who in the business at that time.

Now days, we're lucky to get a David Blaine special once a year. Masters of Illusion is certainly trying to pick up the slack, but it can only do so much. Valentino seems to be getting more screen time than Blaine. Of course there is also Angel's "Mind Freak" but is it fair enough to say that this show has run it's course? I think Criss's next stunt in season four will be jumping a swiming pool filled with sharks while blindfolded.

As sort of a fun, mind tingler I wanted to perpose this idea to you all. If you were the producer of the newest, most exciting TV magic special who would you cast, why, and what kind of magic would you want to focus on?

Go on, pitch me!

Sep 2, 2007
well,m for season five of mind freak it's not actually a show, but five magic specials. hopefully they wi;ll be more like his old stuff.

and if I was working on a new show, I would, try, to have a competition like Phenomenon. but have it for magic (Stage magic specifically, and then maybe a street magic thing for season two etc.)

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Masters of Illusion was OK, tho often times I could tell when they had stooges in the audience and that almost ruined the fun.

I liked the David Blaine Special tho was kind of bummed out by the ending, tho it seems it wasn't his fault. Also I guess at the time we were going to get that deck vanish "Compression" but nothing ever came of that.

I USED to watch Mind Freak but really after awhile it seems like Criss just stopped trying. I mean seriously levitating a man hole cover for two "random people." Yeah... Right..>_>. MadTV pretty much was right about the whole thing. Everybody he runs into just so happens to have the props he needs. Also the acting of the stooges is pretty bad. "Criss is a real magician... You may think we are only being paid 100 bucks to... Smile and look at the cue card... Oh.. =D"

I'd probably get Copperfield back. His shows were always usually the best.

I've always been such a fan of Blaine's show. It really inspired me to get into magic. He is a top notch magician and he performs for real people in real locations. That's what I love about him.

I remember loving the show "Mondo Magic". I'm not sure if any of you remember that show, it was on a few years ago for a little while. Much like David Blaine's specials, they would travel around doing street magic. I believe Chris Korn was in it.

Here's a clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVvdP6o9lFg

Also Copperfield's specials were tremendous. I remember sitting at my aunts house staring in awe at the television at what Copperfield pulled off. It was really something special.

Mitch

there was this show by NBC called T.H.E.M. - Totally Hidden Extreme Magic. That was the best show and they need to bring it bak. It only lasted 2 episodes. This was basically what if magic happened in real life hidden camera show.

I really liked the premise of T.H.E.M. (Totally Hidden Extreme Magic) when it aired. It was my introduction to Cyril Takayama, Japan's magic superstar (although technically he's a gaijin...) and I enjoyed the heck out of it as well as The Real Hustle. When the latter came to America I was so stoked to see Apollo Robbins at the helm. Really, it's more of a show about con-artistry, but I think it still merits mention if at least from a misdirection perspective. If you've never seen these shows I would highly recommend looking them up (I can't imagine you guys not having seen T.H.E.M. though as Justin Kredible is in the cast).

So, if I were in charge of my own show, I would (and will as plans are in the making) do a sort of a combination magic and travelogue show. Something like Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations but with magic as the focus instead of food. I'd look for the best magic in each locale and simultaneously do cultural commentary. Penn and Teller did a three episode special somewhat based on this idea with their Magic and Mystery Tour. If you're familiar with the specials, I'd like to see the idea expanded upon. Each episode could highlight a city or area in the world and the host (or hosts) would hit the streets looking for what the area has to offer magically. Obvious choices for locations would be US cities like Chicago and Vegas, but what about Tokyo, Paris, London, Buenos Aires. Magic exists in all these places. I, for one, would love to see it.

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
I bet I'm the only one old enough to remember a dective show waaaay back in the early 70's called "The Magician" starring none other than the Hulk's alter ego Bill Bixby.

Before "The Hulk", he played a detective/illusionist/escape artist in the lead role. If I recall, Bill Bixby was a magician before becoming an actor, so the tricks that were performed in the show were tricks that can be done, i.e., not one "supernatural' thing happened on the show.

Aaaaand I just found it on IMDB - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069606/

I'd love to see that series again. Made us magicians look real cool. :)

ETA: Sheesh!!! The internet knows everything! Here's the Wikipedia on the show. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magician_(TV_series)

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the best things I remember about television programing growing up in the 80's and 90's was the annual magic TV specials that we'd get from Lance Burton, Copperfield, and others. I believe there was even a serriel called Champions of Magic or something like that as well that showcased the whose who in the business at that time.

Now days, we're lucky to get a David Blaine special once a year. Masters of Illusion is certainly trying to pick up the slack, but it can only do so much. Valentino seems to be getting more screen time than Blaine. Of course there is also Angel's "Mind Freak" but is it fair enough to say that this show has run it's course? I think Criss's next stunt in season four will be jumping a swiming pool filled with sharks while blindfolded.

As sort of a fun, mind tingler I wanted to perpose this idea to you all. If you were the producer of the newest, most exciting TV magic special who would you cast, why, and what kind of magic would you want to focus on?

Go on, pitch me!
if i could do a show...i'd let everyone on this forum do at leasst their best original effect...too much to digest...and therefore these youtubers wouldn't be able to dissect our every move..what you think bout that???

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results