Best, to Impress!

Alright, so I was performing for a kid in my school today. I was doing a card trick, it seemed he was amazed, but there wasn't that extra wow factor in his expressions. I executed the trick really well, but he didn't get that extra kick in his reactions because it was a card trick.

So, what tricks are a great kicker and a twist to the normal card trick? This may seem like a frequently asked question but what tricks get a great emotional reaction from the audience? Card tricks don't seem to take home the cake, maybe toward a more mentalism effect? Or organic effect?

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Alright, so I was performing for a kid in my school today. I was doing a card trick, it seemed he was amazed, but there wasn't that extra wow factor in his expressions. QUOTE]

Probably because it was a card trick.
So then the strongest reactions are Screams and woahs?
I seldom get those reactions now because I like to aim higher than that.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Alright, so I was performing for a kid in my school today. I was doing a card trick, it seemed he was amazed, but there wasn't that extra wow factor in his expressions. QUOTE]

Probably because it was a card trick.
So then the strongest reactions are Screams and woahs?
I seldom get those reactions now because I like to aim higher than that.

You really dont like card magic huh? suit youself, Im happy to know that you are actually a succes performing other things rather than magic.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
You really dont like card magic huh? suit youself, Im happy to know that you are actually a succes performing other things rather than magic.
I have good success in magic.
So cards are the only thing to do magic with?
And no,youve missed the point ive been trying to get across with other posts ive had.
What i dont like is the lack of motivation for card tricks.

Mar 14, 2008
Just a question. Why must you get an extra kick in his reactions? Not everyone responds the same way to magic. Just because he didn't react the way in which you had hoped he would, doesn't necessarily mean that he wasn't astonished. On the other hand, if it was clear that he was unimpressed, then perphaps you should work on your presentation as others have mentioned.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Motivation? what do you use to do magic most of the time? coins?

Your not getting what i mean for motivation. Ill have to post a thread later.

To answer your question I use things that make sense of my environment and the situation. I've never liked the idea of going up to someone with a deck of cards or asking for quarters to show them something cool i can do.
Just as an example I make plants grow in seconds from a seed and soil cupped in my hand,and suspend water in its container or ,more recently, make hamburgers appear out of no where. All these illusions I have shown make sense in the environment I was in and helped me to get the messages that I wanted across to people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 22, 2008
I love to discuss with people that think different than me, sorry if my english its not of your liking, btw, do you love to do unintelligent posts?;).

think, and apport something to the thread instead.

yahh smart *** now ill do a post that makes sense and also notice how the only off topics posts are when u piss me off for no reason.. Umm Augustus all you got to have is a better presentation. Even you think it was good, just build it up at home and practice more to make it even better. Really get into what you are doing and the bigger the reaction you will get.

-Jake

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Your not getting what i mean for motivation. Ill have to post a thread later.

To answer your question I use things that make sense of my environment and the situation. I've never liked the idea of going up to someone with a deck of cards or asking for quarters to show them something cool i can do.
Just as an example I make plants grow in seconds from a seed and soil cupped in my hand,and suspend water in its container or ,more recently, make hamburgers appear out of no where. All these illusions I have shown make sense in the environment I was in and helped me to get the messages that I wanted across to people.

Yeah, sorry If I sounded bad.

I do understand what you mean by motivation, I actually read your thread about "spontaneus magic" and it was a good read. Now let me give you my reasons of why I use cards...

I know that there it's not a motivation to bring out a deck of cards, what I like about them though, it's the connection that you can make with people using them, (of course depending on your presentation).

Think about it, a lot of the routines and patter that I use, involves the spectator to remember specific moments or memories that makes them feel good, or maybe remember a special person etc etc. Everybody can do card tricks, not everybody can make magic moments for the spectators.

Althought I agree with you, the way you present magic sure it's magical, but, does it connects with the spectator? for example, taking you "I appeared a hamburguer out of thin air because I was hungry" I mean, Im sure it looks like magic, but there it's not a personal signicance for the spectator in that part.

Everything has it's pros and cons, while "spontaneus magic" sure looks like magic, using cards (in my case) let's me connect with the spectator in a very personal way.

I'll like to further discuss this:)

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
yahh smart *** now ill do a post that makes sense and also notice how the only off topics posts are when u piss me off for no reason..

Hey dude, chill out, there is no need to get pissed in a online forum.

. Umm Augustus all you got to have is a better presentation. Even you think it was good, just build it up at home and practice more to make it even better. Really get into what you are doing and the bigger the reaction you will get.

-Jake

Now that its usefull.

BTW visual artis, I forgot to mention, let's take coins, they are impromptu and the vanishes sure look "magical" but, its there more to it?

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Althought I agree with you, the way you present magic sure it's magical, but, does it connects with the spectator? for example, taking you "I appeared a hamburguer out of thin air because I was hungry" I mean, Im sure it looks like magic, but there it's not a personal signicance for the spectator in that part.

I'll like to further discuss this:)

The hungry thing was just for friends but when I do it for other people there IS a reason and audience involvement. Theres alot of personal significance. Its just a lighter fare.
We'll discuss it when I decide to make a thread. I have to talk to toyrobot first.

May 3, 2008
Okay everyone should cool their jets before this thread gets closed.

Anyway, on to the advice.

First off, I don't think cards take away from the effect at all. In fact, I think it makes it even better because people are expecting to do that lame key card trick everyone knows so it makes it even better when you blow their minds with your sick flourishes or tricks.

Second, a trick I really like with a GREAT kicker is Revolver which is available as a download at Penguin Magic if you don't already have it.

And third, if a spectator doesn't react JUST the way you wanted them to don't worry. Some people just are less easily amazed or have a shorter attention span.

Hope this helped,
-Charlie

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
I know that there it's not a motivation to bring out a deck of cards, what I like about them though, it's the connection that you can make with people using them, (of course depending on your presentation).

Think about it, a lot of the routines and patter that I use, involves the spectator to remember specific moments or memories that makes them feel good, or maybe remember a special person etc etc. Everybody can do card tricks, not everybody can make magic moments for the spectators.

Everything has it's pros and cons, while "spontaneus magic" sure looks like magic, using cards (in my case) let's me connect with the spectator in a very personal way.

It seems like you're saying, with cards, it's easier to form a connection with the audience, and I'd like to know why that's so. Are you saying there's an innate connectability built in? That somehow people can see cards and immediately feel more at ease with you, or what?

For all this talk of personal significance, I've yet to see a card trick that speaks to another human being on a deeply personal level.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
It seems like you're saying, with cards, it's easier to form a connection with the audience, and I'd like to know why that's so. Are you saying there's an innate connectability built in? That somehow people can see cards and immediately feel more at ease with you, or what?

For all this talk of personal significance, I've yet to see a card trick that speaks to another human being on a deeply personal level.

Im not talking about the cards itself, Im talking about the presentation used, the patter, the things that you are saying to them, all those things (in my opinion) can be adapted easier to card tricks and routines rather than using a coin and making it appear and dissapear all over the place.

I know that cards dont attract attention to them or connects with the audience the instant they see them, all I am saying its that there its a lot of room open for patter and presentation using cards.

I hope I made myself clear there =).

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results