Practicing card flourishes. How do I get better?

Jul 9, 2009
AZ, USA
yo, I was wondering how I can get better at my card flourishes besides doing them over and over again. I always sit in shock and awe when I watch the awesome flourishers on youtube flourish so good. When I do the flourishes I know, I never seem to have that kinda flow or coolness. So I was hoping that I could get some suggestions on how I might go about making my flourishes better, smoother, faster, and just looking cooler. thanks

Jun 22, 2009
yo, I was wondering how I can get better at my card flourishes besides doing them over and over again. I always sit in shock and awe when I watch the awesome flourishers on youtube flourish so good. When I do the flourishes I know, I never seem to have that kinda flow or coolness. So I was hoping that I could get some suggestions on how I might go about making my flourishes better, smoother, faster, and just looking cooler. thanks

You answered your own question my friend... Practice. There is no such thing as short cuts when it comes to flourishes. You need to pace yourself and pick a few things to master so you dont get bored doing the one over and over again. Just go slow and find your hotspots with handling the cards and keep at it. Over time your going to improve dramatically.

Good luck,

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
Flourishing is hard work and it takes a lot of time and effort to perfect. It can be discouraging to some people to see others excel in it so well but don't be fooled, they had to work their asses off to get to that point. Stick with it.

Jul 9, 2009
AZ, USA
I know that the best thing to do is to practice a lot but is there any thing that you do to help you when practice or is there any tips or advice that you can give to me?

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
I know that the best thing to do is to practice a lot but is there any thing that you do to help you when practice or is there any tips or advice that you can give to me?

Hm... there are times when I get a deck of cards in my hands and start listening to music. I get into 'the zone'... it feels like I have superpowers, I go for hours practicing without knowing it. It's odd, like a trance, it about as intense as practicing anything in your bedroom can be :p...

So my advice, listen to music and let it come to you. Music seriously helps though, at least for me.

Also something I do which I don't even know if it helps or not or why I even started doing it...
But I boil water to scalding temperatures and put it in the sink. I test it a few times until I think I can... then go for it and put my hands in the water, while it's as hot as it can be without seriously hurting myself. But hot enough that it hurts and I feel like I want to withdraw my hands... but don't. I let them soak for a while, and when I take them out it just feels really good and loose. And fast. Maybe it's all psychological, but I, for some reason, think it helps.
You are welcome to try it, just don't burn yourself. Honestly, it's probably a stupid thing to do. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly man just practice. I have been doing Cardistry for a few weeks now and I'm already seeing improvement.

By the way: Keep watching the videos even if it discourages you that you aren't that good, because the vids will get you in the zone and make you more creative.

"Mastery: The mastery curve. There's really no way around it. Learning any new skill requires brief spurts of progress followed by a short decline to a plateau slightly higher, in most cases, than the plateau that proceeded it. In the real learning experience, progress is less regular. The upward spurts vary, the plateaus have their own dips and rises along the way but the general progression is almost always the same. To take the master's journey you have to practice diligently and hone your skills to obtain new levels of competence, but in doing so, and this is the inabsorbable fact of the journey, you have to be willing to spend most of time on a plateau and keep practicing even though you seem to be getting no where."

-from the book "Mastery: The Keys to Success and Long-Term Fulfillment" by George Leonard

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results