Practicing flourishes + cardistry in public

May 23, 2010
Hi there,

I need your opinion. I enjoy practicing flourishes and cardistry, but I don't have much time practicing at home. I live in downtown and use the transit system all the time. So I always bring a deck of cards and practice in the bus/public streets. I would rather be productive with my time when I am going from point A to B. However, I feel like I am losing my mystery because I am exposing my identity as a developing magician by practicing outside in public. Then again, I don't want to waste my time staring aimlessly outside the window when I am on the bus.

What do you think, is it best to practice in private or in public? Of course, I don't practice my magic (ie. ambitious card, etc) in public. No magician should tell their secrets. Does it apply to flourishes and cardistry as well?

Suggest.

Last edited by a moderator:

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Flourishing is, essentially, juggling. There's no mystery to it. Therefore, there's no mystery to lose, because there was none in the first place. I don't think there's anything wrong with practicing these skills in public.

As long as you're good enough to not drop cards all over the place, bystanders will typically find it very impressive and won't really view you as "developing". I practice flourishes all the time and use them as attention-grabbers, when I don't feel like disturbing anybody but want to show off anyway :p

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
i practice in public all the time. The only issue ive ever had is is when im not looking to be interrupted and people continue to come up to me about it. I find the best way to practice in public, without interruption is to Put headphones on and seem very concentrated while flourishing. Again its not really a big deal to do in public since their isn't much to reveal other than gravity hates you. Just dont lose your cards.

I don't see any problem either. I flourish all of the time in the public, I think that it is an excellent way to grab peoples attention and draw them into showing them magic effects without being intrusive. When you atract their attention they are much more willing to watch your magic.

If you watch allot of the cardistry videos, this is what they do. Just flourish on trains and the street. Its all good. I would recommend that you only practice flourishes that you can do. If your just learning a flourish chances are you will drop them and look like a fool.

J.

Hi there,

I need your opinion. I enjoy practicing flourishes and cardistry, but I don't have much time practicing at home. I live in downtown and use the transit system all the time. So I always bring a deck of cards and practice in the bus/public streets. I would rather be productive with my time when I am going from point A to B. However, I feel like I am losing my mystery because I am exposing my identity as a developing magician by practicing outside in public. Then again, I don't want to waste my time staring aimlessly outside the window when I am on the bus.

What do you think, is it best to practice in private or in public? Of course, I don't practice my magic (ie. ambitious card, etc) in public. No magician should tell their secrets. Does it apply to flourishes and cardistry as well?

Suggest.

Psst, let me let you in on a secret. If you think that you are exposing your identity in public then think again, you probably are too involved in making yourself feel greater, no one is actually looking at you, yes you are not actually being looked at all the time, it's hard i know but thats the way the world works, you are not the only one living.

M.

Jun 6, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I practice flourishing all the time in public. When I go to the bar, the market, the mall, anywhere. I don't practice magic in public though. Sometimes, I find inspiration by flourishing in public.

Hi there,

Suggest.

Yeah in fact I've been on my bus flourishing going back home and I have my classmates peek and crowd over me to see what I'm doing. Cardistry is meant to be shown to spectators.

Apr 6, 2010
Not one person who sits beside you or near you on the bus, or anyone at all on the bus, will have the slightest bit of knowledge about flourishing, and so therefore they will view your skills, whatever stage they are at, as some kind of remarkable talent.

Think about it, when we finish a good clean flourish, the sense of satisfaction is great, its why we flourish and do magic, so think what bystanders must see, they will be amazed.

And as many have said before me, its a great way to encourage people to ask to see you do some magic, instead of you having to approach people.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
therefore they will view your skills, whatever stage they are at, as some kind of remarkable talent.

Quoted for truth. This applies to any 'unusual' skill, as well. When I do my fire stuff, everyone is amazed, because basically no one has seen someone do that in person before. In this town, I'm definitely one of the best fire spinners, but if you ask me I'm not that great. I know a ton of people that are so much better than me back east. It's all in comparison, and if they have nothing to compare it to, then you're automagically the best! :)

Dec 14, 2007
don't worry about it.

Having said that: don't be creepy either.

True story: Went to a strip club the other day. Spotted a guy at the holdem table doing card tricks. (You can tell just by the way he is holding the pack). I watch from a distance. He gets some polite responses and then goes back to his table - - - sort of.

He ends up spending the next hour or so STANDING by his table, flourishing cards, at a strip club. Not talking to anyone. Just standing there trying to call attention to himself, I suppose.

It came off as uber creepy.

Don't do that.

Another story:

When I was in college I lived in a dorm. We had a bathroom'sink mirror and that was it. So, when I wanted to practice, I would sit in the hall in front of this really big floor to ceiling mirror.

So, one of the RA's tells me once that one of her girls was spooked by me. The resident asked her if she knew anything about the guy who sat in the hall and just spread cards and if they weren't perfect would spread them again and again or just deal them into piles.

Apparently my bottom deals were passing.

The RA explained who I was and what I did and it was all cool. In fact, we had a suite right off the main lobby and had an open door policy. People would come in at all hours of the day and night to see magic, play with toys and games, and otherwise just be amused.

the resident in question became a very good friend and we often joked about her first impression.

So, practice where you want, just try not to look too creepy.

Apr 6, 2010
No offense Brad but i don't entirely agree with you.

I think that it does not matter how you are pecieved by others, do whatever you want wherever you want and however you want.

If you are constantly self conscious and worried about what people think of you, you will never be confident in yourself. I only recently came over this and im talking about life in general not just magic, if you are worried about what someone thinks of your flourishing or a drawing you are doing or what kind of music you listen to, it shows in your person, and they will look down on you even more because of it.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Hi there,

Suggest.
Dude,they have no idea what your doing with those cards.Flourishers dont have secrets to expose. your just being fancy with cards. Practice wherever.
Losing mystery? are you a naturally mysterious person when you perform? if not I wouldnt worry about it.

Sep 3, 2007
If you watch allot of the cardistry videos, this is what they do. Just flourish on trains and the street. Its all good. I would recommend that you only practice flourishes that you can do. If your just learning a flourish chances are you will drop them and look like a fool.

J.

So, best to say that if you're on a train or street keep doing it. If not, don't drop the cards? I've dropped the cards a billion times before, but never on a train.

Dec 14, 2007
No offense Brad but i don't entirely agree with you.

I think that it does not matter how you are pecieved by others, do whatever you want wherever you want and however you want.

If you are constantly self conscious and worried about what people think of you, you will never be confident in yourself. I only recently came over this and im talking about life in general not just magic, if you are worried about what someone thinks of your flourishing or a drawing you are doing or what kind of music you listen to, it shows in your person, and they will look down on you even more because of it.

As long as you are coming across as you intend that is fine. The guy from the strip club was creeping people out. I am reasonably sure, having now met a mutual friend, that was not his intention. I no I did not intend to come off as a potential psychopath, nor was that impression a remotely accurate one.

If you want to look desperate for attention or like some strange psycho with ocd, I suppose there is nothing wrong with that. You just need to be willing to live with whatever reactions you receive.

While many may say they don't care, I find most aren't so cavalier when the rubber meets the road. Sure, some people won't care. But they probably aren't logging on to a magic forum to ask what they should do, either.

Whenever we step out into public we are engaged in a social contract. You aren't required to fulfill what is expected of you, but in not doing so there will be consequences.

Do what you will, just be aware of and willing to accept those consequences.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results