Saturday Night Contest - New Year Resolutions (2)

Sep 6, 2010
Hello everyone!

So my goal was to learn 3 flourishes from Daniel Madison's Motion DVD. The flourishes I chose (yes, I chose these last Saturday) were Bicycle, Sleepless, and Turnover. The first day of getting the DVD (the day before the contest), I thought I would never be able to learn a single flourish from his DVD. When I saw the SNC last wek, I decided to try to learn 3 flourishes from his DVD. At the beginning of the week, I was really frustrated because I would constantly drop cards everywhere and almost never was able to do his flourishes. As the week progressed, I became more comfortable with the flourishes. I mainly ried to make the flourishes slow and smooth, not rushed and fast. Even though I am not as good as Daniel, I do think I made major improvements from last week. Overall I am very proud at what I accomplished. Here is the video showcasing the 3 flourishes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sbyoofcV2M

Thanks in advanced!

- Ben

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
My goal was to finish up Ponta the Smith's One Coin Routine. This is as far as I've gotten. I've performed it for a few people and gotten great reactions, but it needs quite a bit of work still polishing-wise. It's one of my favorite coin routines, and is the thing that pushed me to practice my retention vanish. One Coin Routine.

BTW Kmagic25, that was brilliant!

Cheers

Dec 18, 2008
Chicago, IL
Hello All!

I recently had the extrodinary opportunity to meet David Blaine at a corporate event where he gave a presentation about his life and endurance stunts. The presentation was very similar to the TED talk if you’ve seen it. I was able to meet him before he went on stage. Basically a hand shake and photo. His first magic special was the reason I wanted to learn magic. Needless to say I was very excited.

After the presentation he did close-up magic in the conference center lobby for about an hour. All I can say is flawless. Sick technique, no mistakes, and great crowd control. Towards the end of the hour he explained he could teach anyone in the room how to hold their breath for longer than 3 minutes, right now. A small group of us said we wanted to learn. We found an empty room with chairs and he began to teach the same breathing techniques he used to break the world record. We first did a trial run with no preparation. We did’t last long and the average breath hold was probably a minute with one person reaching two and a half minutes. After explaining the techniques we tried 3 additional times each one getting longer. By the end one person reached 4 minutes 30 seconds longer than Houdini’s personal best. I did not reach 3 minutes and topped out around 2.

This week my goal was to reach the 3 minute mark. By practicing the breathing techniques throughout the week I was able to reach the goal. Below is a video of me holding my breath for 3 minutes 8 seconds. Probably the most boring video I’ve posted, but I wanted to prove it. It’s no record, but it was great to reach the goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC52nE5llj4

Regards,
Kirby

Last edited by a moderator:
May 7, 2009
Thanks Scarecrow! i really appreciate it. Your routine was simply amazing i have to add. so flawless and smooth.

FelixBodden

Elite Member
Aug 3, 2010
Dominican Republic
My goal was to finish up Ponta the Smith's One Coin Routine. This is as far as I've gotten. I've performed it for a few people and gotten great reactions, but it needs quite a bit of work still polishing-wise. It's one of my favorite coin routines, and is the thing that pushed me to practice my retention vanish. One Coin Routine.

BTW Kmagic25, that was brilliant!

Cheers

Love the routine, your retention vanish is just good!! well done.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Alright guys! It’s time for the results to this EXTREMELY awesome contest. Really glad a lot of you guys took the initiative and challenged yourselves this week. It’s always good to set a goal for yourselves, and when you achieve it, it feels AMAZING!

Let’s start off the results with our Honorable Mention. It was extremely hard to judge these submissions, as all of you had goals of different genres. Therefore, our Honorable Mention goes to Silver for his demonstration HERE. It is never easy to achieve a second deal and a bottom deal from the same grip in a week and still make it look good. He did. Congrats!

Now for the winner, winning an Uncut Sheet of DeckONE and an Uncut Sheet of Smoke and Mirrors v5: Paper Denim. This challenge was inspiring, different, and had a solid story behind it. Let’s all give a round of applause for Kirby (post #23)! Kirby challenged himself to hold his breath for over 3 minutes, inspired to do so by David Blaine himself. And because David gave you tips, and you decided to go through with this as your challenge, we sent your story and video to him as well! Congrats!

Please PM me with your mailing address so we can get these sheets out to you ASAP!

Thanks to everyone for entering tonight. You guys know what it takes to conquer a challenge! I will see you all next Saturday for another SNC!

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Congrats to Kirby and everyone else who participated in this event - both those who posted and those who kept their resolutions to themselves. Cheers to an exciting year ahead full of achievement, improvement, and mutual advancement.

and here I am..late again for the SNC this week. :(
but, just for the fun part, I'll tell you guys my results.
My goal for this week:
Performing my own routine of Dresscode (which mean I have to create my own routine. I did say that I have an idea in my mind.)

And this is the results:
Creating my own routine: SUCCESS (well,so far I haven't seen anyone else doing this routine for dresscode)
I will tell you the routine as a proof, you can copy my routine if you think that's good, just make sure you credit me (once again, I haven't seen anyone doing this routine - on youtube/vimeo/T11 forum, correct me if I'm wrong)

So, I start with a question, "Do you know a story of Around the world in 80 days"?
If they say YES, that would be great, but if they say NO, I'll tell them -maybe- just the main idea of the story.
Then I add this question, "What's the easiest souvenir to buy/bring if you visited another country"?
here, I think people will answer "keychains", but I will force "t-shirt" for their answer, by saying like this, "Or maybe a t-shirt like this." Showing them my gimmick t-shirt. To be specific, t-shirt like Calen has, I Love NY/HK/SG (or any other countries/cities).
After that I will say "What if I can travel around the world in 15seconds and show you the souvenir"? Then I perform dresscode.
Well..that's my own routine of Dresscode. I haven't performed it,so it still kin of rough idea. Hope you guys like it.

And for the real goal this week:
Performing Dresscode: FAILED
I've been in bed for 3 days now. So I didn't get a chance to go out and perform it. But I have made the gimmick and practice.

This won't change the result, but like I said, just for the fun part.
And once again, if this is really a new idea for Dresscode (or not), someone please tell me.
Thanks.

Alex R.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
and here I am..late again for the SNC this week. :(
but, just for the fun part, I'll tell you guys my results.
My goal for this week:
Performing my own routine of Dresscode (which mean I have to create my own routine. I did say that I have an idea in my mind.)

And this is the results:
Creating my own routine: SUCCESS (well,so far I haven't seen anyone else doing this routine for dresscode)
I will tell you the routine as a proof, you can copy my routine if you think that's good, just make sure you credit me (once again, I haven't seen anyone doing this routine - on youtube/vimeo/T11 forum, correct me if I'm wrong)

So, I start with a question, "Do you know a story of Around the world in 80 days"?
If they say YES, that would be great, but if they say NO, I'll tell them -maybe- just the main idea of the story.
Then I add this question, "What's the easiest souvenir to buy/bring if you visited another country"?
here, I think people will answer "keychains", but I will force "t-shirt" for their answer, by saying like this, "Or maybe a t-shirt like this." Showing them my gimmick t-shirt. To be specific, t-shirt like Calen has, I Love NY/HK/SG (or any other countries/cities).
After that I will say "What if I can travel around the world in 15seconds and show you the souvenir"? Then I perform dresscode.
Well..that's my own routine of Dresscode. I haven't performed it,so it still kin of rough idea. Hope you guys like it.

And for the real goal this week:
Performing Dresscode: FAILED
I've been in bed for 3 days now. So I didn't get a chance to go out and perform it. But I have made the gimmick and practice.

This won't change the result, but like I said, just for the fun part.
And once again, if this is really a new idea for Dresscode (or not), someone please tell me.
Thanks.

Alex R.

I like that idea and lot actually.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results