Filming Street Magic

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Hey everyone! Friday night a few friends and I went out doing street magic. We had a camera and got a good 35-40 minutes of footage. Not all of it is workable, though.

So, I want to hear everyone's thoughts on how to film street magic or any type of magic for REAL PEOPLE. We can discuss anything pertaining to this subject. I personally think angles is a good one to talk about. Where should you film from? I, for one, can't stand just a side shot where you see the magician and the person just standing there the whole time. I also can't stand a shot where you see the magician, only the magician, and the video is over after the trick and it doesn't show anyone's reactions.

Anybody else have any thoughts, comments, or questions about this? I love filming when we go perform, so I think this could be a very helpful thread not only to me, but possibly to many others as well!

Thanks,
Rob

Jan 11, 2011
Great topic R.K.!
I think the best option is basicly to have more then one video camera. Then one camera is filming you/your hans, other is filmig your spectators. If you can use three cameras its even better. Then, everything else is editing, make it a whole, and show you performing at right moments, and show spectators reaction, when they react.
Obviously, most people could use only one video camera if so, so you can either consider using camera from the IPhone, Mobile, or standard camera - quality will be worse, but final effect might be still better.
Lastly, if you do use only one camera, make sure you are filmed when trick goes on, and that spectators are filmed on the moment of reaction.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I totally agree...two to three camera's are ideal. I, however, only have one. When I was filming, I tried to get the full effect and then show the spectators reactions right away.

Sep 9, 2010
A friend of mine at church films all my stuff and he does a great job normally, he moves around and stuff so you can see the magic and the reaction.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Two or three cameras would creep them out, remember, you are not only a stranger that is coming to them to greet them, you are recording the whole process, and cameras usually creep people out. I would say that one camera would suffice.

As for the angle, I would suggest the spectator point of view, even further you can try a criss angel thing, where you give the cam to them so that they can record it from their perspective, now this has a couple of advantages:

*Since a spectator is recording, you can see how well is your patter and most importantly in this case your sleigths from the spectator point of view.
*Having a spectator recording, I have seen that they kinda forget the thing about the camera recording them.
*It gives you a pretext to interact with them and gain rapport before even beginning doing the trick.

The only downside I have seen to this, is the reactions, once they react, the spectator holding the camera, will probably not know what to do, either he will move the camera around laughing (because remember he also saw the trick) or he will simply move the camera from your hands.

If you want to use two cameras, you could have one recording from the spectator point of view, and one from your perspective, so that you can go in editing your video back and forth from their pov to yours, cathcing their reactions from your perspective.

Also, here are some notes of mine that I shared with some people regarding a live performance:

Technically speaking, we cant get ready for a "live performance" since we do not know how the spectators will react to us.

Here are a couple of tips:

*Your sleight of hand needs to be pretty much flawless, when practicing, try to practice in a mirror and check all your angles, notice wich are your bad angles and how to cover them, during a live performance you may have the need to adapt your angles to how the audience is, but you need to do it naturally, you can't say "hey you! move over here", well you get my point.

*Now that you have the sleights down, you should work in your patter, come with a niceie story or something interestingthat relates to them and that accompanies your routine, the ACR can be killer with the correct amnount of patter, you need to entertein, to perform, there is a difference between doing tricks and performing ;). Another thing you have to watch out, it may be a good idea to script your routine, to write it down and to learn it, but you have to understand that you are not performing for the camera and you have to learn to listen to your audiience and adapt to the situation. Also, try to eliminate the "uhm" from your patter, it sounds dull and you can make the audience lose interest in your performance.

* Make eye contact, Since we spend a lot of time practicing sleights in the mirror, we grow the bad habit of looking at our hands the whole performance, remember, most of the time they will look exactly where we are looking, so take that to your advantage and make eye contact, it will feel more personal and you will make the tricks about you, not the deck.

*When doing tricks like the 2CM where there is a moment when you need misdirection, you need the moves to flow naturally and with motivation, if you dont make a big deal out of something, they will not notice it. Also when you ask a question ( great way to get misdirection) do it while you make eye contact with them,98% of the time they will look up to see you and answer you. Remember, since we are humans, we can get our attention on two points at once ;).

*You need a strong opener, because when you meet someone strange in the street and you want to perform for them, take in consideration that you have roughly like 15 seconds to make them have interest in you, ask their names first, introduce yourself and shake hands with everybody, it may seem dumb, but is perfect to make yourself look like a nice person and you gain rapport with them (very important the rapport thing I suggest you investigate about it) and then do something quickly, maybe a transposition in their hands of something, but you need their attention and remember, patter first.

* You will get nervous when performing, you will shake and a lot, there is no remedy for this, but if you practice enough and you feel comfortable wit your stuff, you will learn to manage this very soon, besides, practicing the above things and taking them into consideration will help you get over it.

magic is supposed to be performed for people, not computers.

Further more, if you want to see a lot of live performances and critiques about them feel free to check this thread:

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?18909-Go.Out.Perform.

Hope you find all that useful :)

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Wow thanks RD for all the info! I think you could make 2 or 3 camera's work IF you walked up to a group of at least 3 or more people. Also, one thing we did is BEFORE we pulled the camera out of the backpack, we would ask if they were ok with us filming and it possibly going on youtube or facebook to help promote ourselves and get our names out there. I'd say 90% of people were MORE than willing to be on camera. It was way cool

I normally just have my camera person angled with the specs. That way they get both me and my audience. Because they stand with the audience they get the best possible view of the magic (as opposed to setting up behind me and seeing the wrong angles

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Aaaaa yes :). Yeah I don't see a problem with that.

Also,when meeting people and things of the like, I recommend reading PUA stuff. For example when meeting people you can use the model that Ross Jeffries uses wich is:

*Compliment
*introducing yourself
*Question.

So you could be like "Hey guys, you look like really intelligent people, plus your shoes are nice" I dont know, I try to say ridiculous things like this so that it makes them laugh and that relieves the tension of meeting someone.

Then you say after they respond:

"I am (insert your name here) and I am a magician..." There you have introduced yourself.

"Would you like to see some magic?" and there you have the question.

This kind of model is great because, you make them feel good about themselves, you create rapport, you introduce yourself and the meaning of your approach and then you state your bissnes with them.

There are a LOT of ways to approach a group of people to perform magic, I have used this model from time to time and it works quite well :0

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I think that would work great too. Also, one thing I try to remember (although it's surprisingly hard to do) but during your performance call your spectators by name! And obviously, when you introduce yourself ask their names as well and remember them! Unless of course it's a huge crowd...would take to long to meet them ALL and remember ALL their names. In this case, just learn a few of their names first, do a few effects for them, and then move to someone else and reintroduce yourself and get their name.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
When it comes to actually filming people on the street or in a bar, what I usually do is I say that I would like them to help me out with a project for my university. I say that we are doing that for the exam. People always say yes.

Jun 14, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't think that more camera's creep people out at all. I just finished filming something for a major American network and we had 3 camara's, a dude holding a boom mic and even another dude with a diffuser (not sure if that is the correct name, but the aluminum disc thing that reflects or diffuses light) and that attracted tons of people. Now that is a bigger set-up.

The question you asked is how to actually film magic when you only have one camera.

I suggest you closely watch David Blaine or Cyril videos when they first came out. Check their angles. This is what I've done.

The mission is finding a videographer that understands this. Plan out the trick and make sure the angles work, but when filming magic you are performing for the viewer at home NOT the person there in front of you.

Just my tidbit. I still have tons to learn, but I've filmed soooo much close-up magic on the streets that it is ridiculous. Not all of it is on youtube because of copyright. But if you are bored, just search "Smoothini" without my tag line.

~ Smoothini the Ghetto Houdini

Mar 2, 2008
Why do you film? I'm not trying to critize I just want to know whats everyones purpose behinde filming.

Jun 1, 2009
My friend and I try to show as much as we can while filming. We'll do one continuous shot (usually) of us picking out someone, then approaching them, performing, their reactions, and then cut. We usually add in an afterthought clip after the first cut. The way we do it is less on a professional level and more on a having a good time level. I've shown the video we made to several people who needed help approaching and they said it helped them out by seeing someone actually do it. We've even been rejected on camera, it happens, and you just need to move on.

As for angles, we both know how our effects work, and we will tell the other one what effect we are about to do so the camera isn't in a bad spot. Yes we'll sometimes film the sleight, but we get so caught up in watching the person perform we forget about the camera haha.

Quick question to add on to this discussion: Who do you guys get to film for you? My magic friend moved so I don't have anyone else who does magic to film for me, so do you guys just pick a friend and go or what?

Jacob

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Yeah, we film for fun...also give's me something to edit as I like to edit videos. Also, you can look back, see how you did, where you could have improved etc.

Jacob, to answer your question, my friends Cody and Anthony are both magicians also so we take turns performing/filming. Sometimes, I will have my best friend (and magic test subject who has seen everything I can do lol) and he will film while we perform. It's a ton of fun we always have a good time!

Jun 1, 2009
Yeah, we film for fun...also give's me something to edit as I like to edit videos. Also, you can look back, see how you did, where you could have improved etc.

Jacob, to answer your question, my friends Cody and Anthony are both magicians also so we take turns performing/filming. Sometimes, I will have my best friend (and magic test subject who has seen everything I can do lol) and he will film while we perform. It's a ton of fun we always have a good time!

Yeah it's definitely great to look back on fond memories, as well as see how far you've come from older videos.

Awesome, it's a bummer to not have Michael (my magic friend) to film with anymore, and I don't really have a friend who I show everything too, but I guess someone who is willing to make videos with me. I always have a great time doing magic, filmed or not.

Jacob

Mar 2, 2008
So that you can look back over those performances and make necessary changes. Also for collection, and basically for fun.

So its like a hobby in hobby. Well I never have filmed myself doing magic for other people but has anyone ever tried having the spectators introducing themselves to the camera? That could be away to make people more comfortable around the camera.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I've never tried having them introduce themselves. There WAS a group that bought us all drinks and dinner for doing magic and afterward, we had them say what they thought on camera!

Jun 14, 2008
Las Vegas
I film because it is the single best way to promote my show. I don't do corporate shows, or even family events anymore. I basically tour a show, that I sell tickets to. With a name like mine, it is hard to just promote a show and expect people to come. So I'll send copies of my demo DVD to different organizations and that video is a commercial for what they'll expect to see.

I'm doing a show tomorrow in Western Massachusets and it is almost sold out. I never even printed one flyer or poster. All those tickets were sold through facebook and the appeal of a video I shot performing Healed and Sealed. That trick isn't even in my act, but people in this small town really responded to it.

And I agree with what was said... it is good to see videos of oneself a few years later and remember those days.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I film because it is the single best way to promote my show. I don't do corporate shows, or even family events anymore. I basically tour a show, that I sell tickets to. With a name like mine, it is hard to just promote a show and expect people to come. So I'll send copies of my demo DVD to different organizations and that video is a commercial for what they'll expect to see.

I'm doing a show tomorrow in Western Massachusets and it is almost sold out. I never even printed one flyer or poster. All those tickets were sold through facebook and the appeal of a video I shot performing Healed and Sealed. That trick isn't even in my act, but people in this small town really responded to it.

And I agree with what was said... it is good to see videos of oneself a few years later and remember those days.

I could definitely see a video helping a TON with promotion. I'd love to get a website started and video's would be a perfect selling point.

That's funny you mention all the tickets being sold through facebook. My mom was laughing at me yesterday because I told her to save money and not buy invitations to send out for my graduation...I told her we would just send out a few mass texts and an event invite on facebook haha.

Also, I really enjoy video editing so magic video's are perfect for me to edit together.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results