Pre-release Monarch's

Apr 14, 2011
So now Theory11 found the perfect way to sell off some mass produce deck that they know looks like crap.

Tomorrow you can buy some deck of cards and have them shipped to you without even KNOWING what you are buying.
You have no idea what you are buying, no idea what they look like, so you are going to just start throwing away money you(or your parents) worked for without even knowing what you are getting.

A pat on the back to you, Theory11, for banking on a item without even showing what we, the consumer, are purchasing.

Love, Jay and Silent Bob

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
King,

If you want to see what you are purchasing first, wait till 11/11/11 when these are released. Problem solved. We are giving you the chance to get these decks before anyone else tomorrow. You will hear in 12 days whether or not people agree with your idea that this deck looks like crap. I have seen them. You will probably be disappointed, as you have already made up your mind that you don't like them. The majority will not feel the same way. For the rest of our customers, they can reserve judgement until they see these cards, either on 11/11/11 or, for a few lucky people, a few days before. While those lucky people will have the opportunity to feel the suspense, and then the chance to get a look at something nobody else has seen, everyone else can see our new cards the day they release.

Check back in 12 days.

L

Sep 1, 2007
Porthcawl, Wales.
So now Theory11 found the perfect way to sell off some mass produce deck that they know looks like crap.

Tomorrow you can buy some deck of cards and have them shipped to you without even KNOWING what you are buying.
You have no idea what you are buying, no idea what they look like, so you are going to just start throwing away money you(or your parents) worked for without even knowing what you are getting.

A pat on the back to you, Theory11, for banking on a item without even showing what we, the consumer, are purchasing.

Love, Jay and Silent Bob
Or perhaps people are willing to put their money on the only company that consistently raises the bar in every aspect of their work ethic. A company that customers know, will not only deliver the goods every time but surpass their expectations. And lastly, a company that's run by some the most knowledgeable and respected names in magic and the industry.

Anyway, being magicians, we don't loose when we take a gamble ;)

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
King,

If you want to see what you are purchasing first, wait till 11/11/11 when these are released. Problem solved. We are giving you the chance to get these decks before anyone else tomorrow. You will hear in 12 days whether or not people agree with your idea that this deck looks like crap. I have seen them. You will probably be disappointed, as you have already made up your mind that you don't like them. The majority will not feel the same way. For the rest of our customers, they can reserve judgement until they see these cards, either on 11/11/11 or, for a few lucky people, a few days before. While those lucky people will have the opportunity to feel the suspense, and then the chance to get a look at something nobody else has seen, everyone else can see our new cards the day they release.

Check back in 12 days.

L

Said like a pro.

If you don't want to buy a deck without seeing it first, then the answer is simple. Wait until 11/11. If you trust that theory11 will deliver like they always have and will continue to do, then you'd have no problem buying something without knowing what it looks like yet.

Simple as that.

Feb 4, 2008
I personally feel that the most important factor in card selection is how that cards handle and whether or not they fit your personal style. Some cards are good for certain flourishing styles and some cards are good for other flourishing styles. Some cards are good for particular magical styles and others are good different magic styles. So basically the moves you know, the ones you like, how strong your hands are, how precise your handling is, all add up to a style. You then try out different cards until you find a deck that perfectly fits that.

The only problem with that is that you won't know if a deck of cards will perform well for your style until you get them in your hot little hand anyways. So what's the big deal. Every time I buy a new deck I have know Idea if is will be good, bad, outstanding, or epic until I have used and abused them for a few weeks. So in that sense.....what difference does it make if you have seen them or not? A pretty deck of cards that cant hold a double or is so slick that it "explodes" when I try a simple Sibyl will wind up in my bottom drawer regardless of how good it looks.

T11 has a track record of producing cards that serve most people well. I highly doubt that they decided "hey we have been making good decks for four years...time we made some JUNK!"

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Saying that Monarch's "look like crap" is a bit like saying that Kate Beckinsale is hideous. ;) Simply put, they're the most high-end, well designed decks I've ever seen, and certainly the best we've ever done. Monarchs utilize imported paper, embossed titling, and gold foil across each face - they're the most high-end playing cards ever produced. I'm very confident that your response, when you see them, will be the same. They are absolutely incredible.

In the interest of transparency, and standing behind our work, if anyone orders them tomorrow (during the pre-release) and doesn't like them when they arrive in your mailbox, send us a message and I will personally arrange for a refund of your purchase. My prediction is that exactly 0.00% of people will take advantage of that offer. They're breathtaking. And the response has been unanimous from those that have seen them - from Daniel Madison to Dan White, from Jason England to David Copperfield.

Our pre-release event is a special, creative opportunity to propel more mystery into this release, just like that J.J. Abrams Mystery Box from Tannen's. In this case, the mystery and suspense is just a bonus. What's inside the box is the best part. The lucky 111 will be the first to see them. And on 11/11, Monarch's will officially be unveiled to everyone else. Magic is all about mystery, but if you don't like surprises, just wait until 11/11.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Don't jump his case - his account was actually created back in April (before most anyone had the smallest clue that Monarchs existed - myself included). KingofHyrule is free to express his opinions, and we will continue to express ours too.

Some opinions, like mine, are a little more fact based, as I have seen pictures. Others are very much fact based, as they have handled the cards. None of us have any doubt of what these cards will be like. You all will soon join us when you see these.

Thanks!

L

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
As far as I'm concerned, I just made a bet with T11. If they win, they've gotten my 6.95+S&H. If I win, I won supposedly the best cards they've produced to this date. Either way is fine for me, sometimes making bets are what makes life interesting.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007

Love, Jay and Silent Bob

Like others have said in this post, a lot of people go for how the cards feel and you will never really know for sure how the cards will feel until you buy them, which is exactly what the people who bought the prereleased decks did. Theory11 has made a reputation of selling pretty high quality material, especially decks, I trust them.

ATH

May 1, 2010
Saying that Monarch's "look like crap" is a bit like saying that Kate Beckinsale is hideous. ;) Simply put, they're the most high-end, well designed decks I've ever seen, and certainly the best we've ever done. Monarchs utilize imported paper, embossed titling, and gold foil across each face - they're the most high-end playing cards ever produced. I'm very confident that your response, when you see them, will be the same. They are absolutely incredible.

In the interest of transparency, and standing behind our work, if anyone orders them tomorrow (during the pre-release) and doesn't like them when they arrive in your mailbox, send us a message and I will personally arrange for a refund of your purchase. My prediction is that exactly 0.00% of people will take advantage of that offer. They're breathtaking. And the response has been unanimous from those that have seen them - from Daniel Madison to Dan White, from Jason England to David Copperfield.

Our pre-release event is a special, creative opportunity to propel more mystery into this release, just like that J.J. Abrams Mystery Box from Tannen's. In this case, the mystery and suspense is just a bonus. What's inside the box is the best part. The lucky 111 will be the first to see them. And on 11/11, Monarch's will officially be unveiled to everyone else. Magic is all about mystery, but if you don't like surprises, just wait until 11/11.

In other words: "blah blah blah.......hype.........name dropping.......hype.....blah......money money money."

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
In other words: "blah blah blah.......hype.........name dropping.......hype.....blah......money money money."

ooh look at you fighting the corporate system. You don't get taken in by the man at all do you? =)
heck no your too smart for that, you clearly know everything about a business and its product even though you don't have a business yourself. Do you also drink blue ribbon beer and wear non-prescription black rim glasses?

Also, on the money money part, no **** its money. you expect them to design and print a deck of cards and give them to you for free? Whats the grand corruption you see here that we don't?

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
I agree with Visual Artist. ATH, What was the CEO of the company supposed to say? Oh, these decks suck and I'm trying to take your money. He's selling his product as any good businessman would do. If you don't want them, then you won't buy them. Obviously, there is nothing wrong with that. But making comments like you did, you adding nothing but negativity. If you are going to be negative, at least present an argument.

Sep 11, 2011
Florida, USA
xmetal.me
As I read things like this (not just on this forum, but rather pervasively on the internet), I have a feeling that many people that grew up on the internet "speaking their mind" and freely "giving their opinion" will find it discomforting when they grow up and have actual face to face adult conversations and discover that their lack of tact, respect, and friendliness results in people not responding very favorably to their free-spirited approach. Just a hunch. There are ways, dear friends, to get across your point even when it might be counter to everyone else, and not come off as an immature loon.

If I may, a quick rewrite of this initial post:

Well guys, we see that Theory 11 has created a new deck, the Monarchs, that I can only assume from my past experience will not be as visually interesting as they make it out to be. They are somewhat overdoing the hype, in my opinion, and their decision to release a limited number of these for purchase, completely site unseen, strikes me as rather presumptuous. I personally do not feel comfortable spending my hard earned money on something I can't even see. Perhaps you feel differently, but I won't be participating.

Love, Jay and Silent Bob

Option 1: Foolish, does not garner sympathy or support
Option 2: Maturity and even handedness that might bring out comments from people that feel similarly

Food for thought.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results