A Farewell...

Sep 1, 2007
I've come back from a ban that was placed earlier this month and I've done some thinking.

Simply put, I'm not happy here. And if certain conversations I've had are any indication, there are a lot of people who are not happy that I am here at all. It doesn't make much sense for me to stick around.

Please don't mistake this for some rant about how victimized I am. It's just one of those situations where it's not working out. When I first came here, I saw a place that was struggling to find any identity among excessively redundant threads, rampant speculation over rumors that got started only 5 minutes prior, and a moderating staff that was trying to pull the whole thing together in those hectic first weeks. I saw potential. I saw hope. But over time all that wore away.

Perhaps the forums stayed the same and it was me who changed. What I want now isn't what I wanted a year ago. That wouldn't surprise me at all. Ever since I left high school, my life has taken one dramatic turn after another, so that every January 1st, I feel like a different person greeting the new year.

Perhaps I haven't changed as much as I imagine, and the identity that coalesced in these boards just plain conflicts with my personality. Not that unlikely. There are a lot of places that have a social climate I don't enjoy. I'm a controversial figure no matter where I go, and Theory 11 would just be one more tally on the chalk board if that's the case.

People have repeatedly told me that if we all pull together as a team, that we can affect positive change around here. The trouble is that I don't know who "we" includes, and I'm not sure the people telling me this do either. And please don't take this as an attack, but I haven't noticed a lot of proactive efforts to affect that sort of change from the people who keep telling me this. They're as much a part of the status quo as anybody here. And as for my own efforts, well... let's just say they didn't work as I had hoped. I stopped writing discussion articles when people started asking me for soundbites because they didn't feel like reading the whole thing. I figured I was wasting my time and everyone else's on that particular approach.

Regardless, I don't feel welcome here anymore. Like a doomed relationship, I stuck around thinking I could change things. But my arrogance has to be deflated and my stubbornness defeated at some point, and there comes a time when it's best to dissolve the relationship before anyone gets hurt again.

Unless something happens to convince me otherwise, I'm leaving Theory 11 and I don't plan on coming back. For anybody who cares, the people I'm writing this thread for in the first place, you can contact me via the email address you'll find at my website linked to in my signature. I don't want to lose contact with good people, but at the same time I can't continue to waste my time on a place that doesn't want me around and only brings me stress, frustration, and headaches.

Alexander Vornoff, The Shadowlander

Sep 7, 2008
The Moon

I would not kid yourself; your leaving for a reason that is beyond your control. I find it childish and rude. Good luck finding a place that has a better team than Theory11- i can gurantee you wont.

Mitch Daniels

Jan 5, 2008
Oklahoma
Dude, you're acting as if the forums are a girlfriend that's cheated on you. Forums are just a place to express your ideas and progress magic in a positive way. I think you're taking things way too personal. It's just a forum, bro, but if you gotta go, later.

Zack

I would not kid yourself; your leaving for a reason that is beyond your control. I find it childish and rude. Good luck finding a place that has a better team than Theory11- i can gurantee you wont.

Mitch Daniels

what does it matter to you? if he wants to leave let him leave its not gonna affect you in life. Everyone who leaves has their reason weather it be for wanting to spend less time on the internet to being sick of the post quatilty/thread quality.

Personally I never really knew steerpike but it still sucks to see a member leave.

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
what does it matter to you? if he wants to leave let him leave its not gonna affect you in life. Everyone who leaves has their reason weather it be for wanting to spend less time on the internet to being sick of the post quatilty/thread quality.

Personally I never really knew steerpike but it still sucks to see a member leave.

agreed.
Ah well, i'll miss steerpike and his wit.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Dude, you're acting as if the forums are a girlfriend that's cheated on you. Forums are just a place to express your ideas and progress magic in a positive way. I think you're taking things way too personal. It's just a forum, bro, but if you gotta go, later.

Zack

Allright... first thing first...

Mitch Daniels?? 9 posts so far...

magi1982?? 43 posts....

By the way you are talking about steerpike, and the amount of posts you guys have, I am going to assume that you haven't read any of his posts, even any of his threads, so I don't think that posts like that would be appropiate...

Magi1982, you say that the forums are a place where we can express our ideas and progress in magic....well this guy saying "goodbye" over there, is one of the few guys WHO really did this, I have learned a lot from his posts and threads over several months and I think that it is a shame that such a guy is leaving the forums...

And I kinda understand why is he making a thread over this matter, this is not another "good bye" thread where the topic creator is desperate for attention and for guys telling him " don't go man!" , he was banned from thinking different from a lot of us in here ( well sometimes he was a little harsh in his replies) and for standing up and defend what he was saying....

this thread is for us to REALLY think what is going wrong here and with us, so I respect his decision and I understand his reasons, and is not like with a grilfriend like you say, if I were in his shoes, I would probably be frustated with the site too.

So good luck mate, and to the guys who hate him that are going to probably throw bricks at the thread (and If I am lucky some to me) ,well go ahead, you guys have your reasons.

have a nice day everyone

Edit: No offense intended

Jan 5, 2008
Oklahoma
It's none of my business why he's leaving, I'm just saying it's a little dramatic. I know there will be the "What's it to ya," comments, but I didn't mean any offense. Goodtimes.

FAREWELL,

Zack

Ohhh man, I was one of the guys that enjoyed your posts, you were about to go in my signature.
Well I am sad to see you go, but I'm sure that from your perspective it's for the best.
Have a good one.

rousselle

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2008
www.rousselle.com
Hey, Steerpike.

I've only read a handful of your thousand+ posts, and I'm more of a lurker than active participant, but I've enjoyed the posts of yours I've read and the conversations in which we've briefly engaged.

I'm still a newbie in this area of interest, but I'm a seasoned hand in some other fields. This is the natural progression of things, it seems to me. You find a community where you feel welcome and the possibilities are wide open, then you encounter resistance (and you're not sure whether it's appropriate resistance), then you flounder for a bit, and then... you have to decide. Move onward and upward, or stick where you've found a comfortable niche.

It's always an easier decision if the niche isn't all that comfortable, after all.

Among other things, I'm a writer of both fiction and non-fiction. When I began taking fiction-writing seriously, I participated in a couple of writing groups that at first seemed like a good fit but eventually turned out to be poison for me. Years later, I found excellent writing groups that were, in fact, very good for me... and eventually had to make the painful decision to leave simply because it was time to spread my wings.

Who knows? Next time you return to a forum like this, it may be as a Theory Elevenista rather than as someone still learning the trade (at this relatively early point of the learning curve). Either way...

-- I hope you find a community that is a better fit for you as you continue to grow. Or that you enjoy growing on your own for a while, as may be.

-- I've enjoyed what I've read from you, and anticipate reading more of your stuff as I sift through the Theory11 archives.

-- For all that, I'm glad that Theory11 is here. It's still the right place for me at this stage of my development, for a number of reasons. I'm sorry that it's not the right place for you at this time, but I know how it goes.

-- Stay sharp. You will, as you move forward, occasionally have to compromise in order to make your way. But don't compromise too much. You have an interesting voice. I look forward to reading more of it down the line.

Viva la Steerpike! Viva la Theory11!

I can honestly say that we have had our differences and personally I hold a little bit of disdain when reading a post with your name on it. That said....I wish you'd stick around. If for nothing else, the fact that you keep things interesting. What good is a place where everyone agrees??

Hope to see you around at some point, although I am sure it doesn't mean much coming from me.

Trent.

Sep 1, 2007
New Zealand
Someone has obviously hacked Steerpikes account, the Steerpike that I knew and loved would never subject himself to reasoning or explanations from a bunch of whiny teenagers on a forum. Disappointing /10

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
You know, Steer, when I first joined this forum, you were the first person whose name I could recognize when I saw it on a post. Everyone was saying things like "Z0mg Dana just posted 0mg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and I was left thinking "Dana who? Oh look, it's Steerpike." You definitely stood out. I also really enjoyed your posts. You'll be missed.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Steer,
I respect the fact that personally you’re ready to move on. To be honest I can’t say I didn’t see it coming. I could sense your frustration level mounting.

That said, I’ll give you a reason why you should stay and that is for what you have to contribute. Sure, you may not be getting out of it what you are seeking but that doesn’t mean that you can’t contribute and help others. You do have a lot to offer and I've seen time and time again where you have pointed folks in a direction that has been helpful.

There will always be knuckleheads like the one that asked you for the sound bite. You’re not going to be much good to them but they don’t represent the majority. I would venture to say that a lot of people are here to contribute and don’t receive a lot in return other than the knowledge they may give someone a different perspective on something or be helpful to them. You’re a moderator on another forum for a reason. To help guide, direct and contribute to the organization. Also, because you care. After all, what is your knowledge good for if you can’t use it to help others?

I do hate to see anyone leave but especially those who actually have something worth while to give. The next time I'm in Zombie Town I’ll be sure to look you up for that sandwich. You know how to get up with me.

"The achievements of an organization are the results of the combined effort of each individual." Coach Vince Lombardi, Green Bay Packers

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 30, 2008
Sweden, Vänersborg
I have been banned three times. 2 permanent bans and 1 for a week or so. I really like t11 its just that i was Obscene and the permanent bans i dont remember. But now I am a good boy (hear that, Raiker).

Nov 23, 2007
NC
I have been banned three times. 2 permanent bans and 1 for a week or so. I really like t11 its just that i was Obscene and the permanent bans i dont remember. But now I am a good boy (hear that, Raiker).
**sigh** Your bragging about how many times youve been banned. Thats really something to be proud of and shows a lot about your character and your contribution level.

Apr 30, 2008
Sweden, Vänersborg
**sigh** Your bragging about how many times youve been banned. Thats really something to be proud of and shows a lot about your character and your contribution level.

I got banned for saying that i downloaded magic dvds instead of buying them. I didnt know that i couldnt say that. But i dont do that any longer.And that shows nothing of my charachter.

Aug 31, 2007
Holy cow people get so emotional online. I read about half this post and wanted to gouge my eyes out. Can we get some cheese in this house please for all the whining thats been going on.

Sypris - Keepin it real since 1902

Holy Cow btw is a new effect i'm working on... its like Holy Moly but uses cows...

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results