Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Hey everyone!

So my friend's stepdad's cousin owns a winery and they wanted a magician to do walkaround for 3 hours at their wine club day in a few weeks.

They had found someone but his pricing was outside their budget so my friend recommended me and I agreed. She said if they like me this could become an ongoing thing.

Most of the magic I do is well-suited to walkaround so I'm not really looking for tricks (although recommendations are always appreciated).

I'm mostly just looking for general tips and advice regarding this type of gig regarding sets of tricks, pricing, what to wear, what to bring, what to do, what not to do, etc.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
1. Know the environment. Are there tables where people are seated, standing tables, no tables (determines if you do in the hands or effects needing a table and it also determines your path through the room)? Will it be indoors or outside (wind) ? Will there be music -- pop, classical or jazz (how loud the music is effects your ability to do effects that require a lot of talking)? How big is the room compared to the number of guests (this also affects noise level).

2. Know the event. What will the attendees be doing? Are there wines at stations around the room that they will be visiting on their own? Will there be a presentation? Will different wines be served at different times? Will you be competing with guided tastings (a sommelier pouring wine and talking about it) either to the entire group or at stations? Do people come for the entire three hours or do they come, stay for a half hour and then go on with their day?

3. Know your spectators. I'm guessing the demographic is 40 to 55, tending toward the older end. They have a fair amount of disposable income (wine clubs typically run $500 to $2500 a year). They will be well dressed and fashionable but no suits and no ties. Most oenofiles also enjoy good food. Confirm all this with the person who hired you.

3. Dress at the high end of what the attendees are expected to wear. You want to fit in. Dress pants and collared dress shirt. Shoes on the nicer side (no sneakers) and make sure they are polished. Look like a professional.

4. Learn about the wines. If the winery does tours and tastings, do one before the event. Check out the winery's website and see if you can find professional reviews of the wines. Learn some basic wine terms (e.g. tannins, acidity, fruit-forward, nose, mid-palate, finish) and learn the wines they will be serving (don't have someone say they love the Sauvignon Blanc and ask is that the red?). Don't engage in "wine-talk" because that's not what you are there for but be able to ask questions like "are you enjoying the wines?" "what wines have you tasted?" "do you have a favorite?" and be able to understand their answers.

5. Three hours is a long time. I'm guessing that people will cycle through the event, but you probably want to plan to rotate through effects. You want to have three sets of two to three effects FOR EACH HOUR. That way, you aren't doing the same thing for the group right next to the one you just performed for and by changing out the effects each hour you don't risk performing the same thing for people who are there for the full three hours. The two to three allows you to do two effects for each group and if they are enjoying it, do a third.

Those are my initial thoughts, but I'll think about this today and post more tonight.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
1. Know the environment. Are there tables where people are seated, standing tables, no tables (determines if you do in the hands or effects needing a table and it also determines your path through the room)? Will it be indoors or outside (wind) ? Will there be music -- pop, classical or jazz (how loud the music is effects your ability to do effects that require a lot of talking)? How big is the room compared to the number of guests (this also affects noise level).

2. Know the event. What will the attendees be doing? Are there wines at stations around the room that they will be visiting on their own? Will there be a presentation? Will different wines be served at different times? Will you be competing with guided tastings (a sommelier pouring wine and talking about it) either to the entire group or at stations? Do people come for the entire three hours or do they come, stay for a half hour and then go on with their day?

3. Know your spectators. I'm guessing the demographic is 40 to 55, tending toward the older end. They have a fair amount of disposable income (wine clubs typically run $500 to $2500 a year). They will be well dressed and fashionable but no suits and no ties. Most oenofiles also enjoy good food. Confirm all this with the person who hired you.

3. Dress at the high end of what the attendees are expected to wear. You want to fit in. Dress pants and collared dress shirt. Shoes on the nicer side (no sneakers) and make sure they are polished. Look like a professional.

4. Learn about the wines. If the winery does tours and tastings, do one before the event. Check out the winery's website and see if you can find professional reviews of the wines. Learn some basic wine terms (e.g. tannins, acidity, fruit-forward, nose, mid-palate, finish) and learn the wines they will be serving (don't have someone say they love the Sauvignon Blanc and ask is that the red?). Don't engage in "wine-talk" because that's not what you are there for but be able to ask questions like "are you enjoying the wines?" "what wines have you tasted?" "do you have a favorite?" and be able to understand their answers.

5. Three hours is a long time. I'm guessing that people will cycle through the event, but you probably want to plan to rotate through effects. You want to have three sets of two to three effects FOR EACH HOUR. That way, you aren't doing the same thing for the group right next to the one you just performed for and by changing out the effects each hour you don't risk performing the same thing for people who are there for the full three hours. The two to three allows you to do two effects for each group and if they are enjoying it, do a third.

Those are my initial thoughts, but I'll think about this today and post more tonight.
1. I'm waiting to get the owner's contact info. All I've been told is that I'll be going around to tables. From the website, it appears that they're round picnic tables outside.
2. No clue. I'll ask
3. Should I ask the owner what attendees will wear?
4. It seems like they have a list of their wines on their website so I'll check that out.
5. So I should have roughly 9 sets (consisting of 27 total effects) for the entire event?

I'm printing some updated business cards for myself soon. Do you think it's important to have a website and custom email domain (anthony@diavolomagic.com or something) or is a gmail address fine for now?

Thank you so much!

willtupper

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2009
If you have $40 available to spend, I would highly recommend purchasing a copy of Jamie D. Grant's wonderful how-to book on walkaround magic, The Approach. It's available on his website, www.sendwonder.com.

Other than that, remember that the person asking the questions is the person running the conversation. Be interested in the people around you. For "extra credit" I would also recommend Dale Carnegie's classic, How to Win Friends and Influence People.

Other than that, have fun. If you're having fun, your spectators will have fun. And then, everyone wins.

And definitely (if you're comfortable / want to) come back and share how it went. We're rooting for you.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
3. Should I ask the owner what attendees will wear?

Yes. If everyone is wearing shorts and polo shirts you don't want to be wearing dress pants, a button down and a blazer. Similarly, if everyone is wearing a blazer, you don't want to be wearing jeans and a vintage Led Zeppelin T Shirt.

4. It seems like they have a list of their wines on their website so I'll check that out.

I'm always glad to talk to you about wines. I like wine...

5. So I should have roughly 9 sets (consisting of 27 total effects) for the entire event?

Correct on the 9 sets. You could do six sets (using each set for an hour an a half). You can have some effects in the different sets that overlap, so not necessarily 27 effects. This is assuming that you will be performing multiple times for the same people over a three hour period. If that isn't the case, you could do with 18 (or less) total effects. Also, the variety keeps you from getting bored!

Do you think it's important to have a website and custom email domain (anthony@diavolomagic.com or something) or is a gmail address fine for now?

Stick with the gmail address for now. Focus on this performance and then build from there.

So the reason I'm having you figure out everything about the event is to minimize surprises. If you know what to expect and plan accordingly, you will be less stressed the day of the event. Also, that will minimize any changes to what you have planned in your mind and make you feel more in control.

In that same vein:

6. Keep it Simple - Do effects you know by heart, that don't require a lot of difficult sleights and that don't require complicated resets. Make everything as fool proof as possible. Think about what could go wrong and work to minimize that. If the number of effects is a concern, have fewer sets (2 rather than 3) or just rotate through two different sets for each hour. Try to minimize props on your person. Using a standard deck for multiple effects helps to do that.

7. Be organized - Write a list of everything you need for each set. Include on the list where you are going to hold the various props on your person. Use the list as a checklist to pack and bring it with you so that you put everything in the right place when you are setting up each set. I would pack the props for each set into a different gallon Zip Lock bag. So when you change props, making sure the bag is empty is a final check (after going through your list again). Pack the bags the day before. Check them right before you leave. Make sure you reset the same way after each performance. Pack a back-up bag with spare decks, new sharpies, etc. just in case.

8. Rehearse - Rehearse the effects in each set together in the same circumstances as you will be performing with the props in your pockets as it will be for the performance. Practice your approach lines before you start the set and practice you thank you lines after the effect. Do your reset immediately after performing. Everything should be rehearsed and practiced as you intend to perform.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

Stu-pendous

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2010
Perth, Australia
www.facebook.com
^^^ all perfect advice above, when I did roaming gigs I had those sets that I could keep in rotation the whole night. Another key point is to be comfortable with all of the routines.

Get to the point where you can hit every beat by instinct. This gives you more time to make a more natural performance, you can adlib more and make things more personal rather than relying on heavy scripting etc.

Most importantly you should be having fun, if anything, more fun than the spectators. If they see you having a great time they will also have a great time.

Aside from that not many points I've seen on pricing. But one I learned early on, don't under value yourself. I started charging very little because friends or people I knew. When one of them who was a performer in a different industry said, charge more than you think you're worth. Most people won't talk about their own pricing systems. But have a real think about it.

My rates would vary depending on the event, but would be between $250 for an hour, up to $400 or more for 2-3 hours. Just be comfortable enough to ask and the worst they can say is no, then if you want to adjust prices that's up to you.

You'll never know if you don't ask first though. Have a great time doing it though. Makes me want to get back into roaming gigs again.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
If you have $40 available to spend, I would highly recommend purchasing a copy of Jamie D. Grant's wonderful how-to book on walkaround magic, The Approach. It's available on his website, www.sendwonder.com.

Other than that, remember that the person asking the questions is the person running the conversation. Be interested in the people around you. For "extra credit" I would also recommend Dale Carnegie's classic, How to Win Friends and Influence People.

Other than that, have fun. If you're having fun, your spectators will have fun. And then, everyone wins.

And definitely (if you're comfortable / want to) come back and share how it went. We're rooting for you.
Way ahead of you! I got a copy for $25 like 5 years ago from a Penguin Open Box.
I keep getting conflicting reports about the Carnegie book. Magicians and Non-Magicians alike have recommended it but I also have a friend who I trust who read it and said it seemed very manipulative.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Yes. If everyone is wearing shorts and polo shirts you don't want to be wearing dress pants, a button down and a blazer. Similarly, if everyone is wearing a blazer, you don't want to be wearing jeans and a vintage Led Zeppelin T Shirt.

I'm a bit fashion stupid so what exactly would be a step up from shorts and a polo shirt? lol

I'm always glad to talk to you about wines. I like wine...

Might have to take you up on that. I also like wine but know almost nothing about it.

Correct on the 9 sets. You could do six sets (using each set for an hour an a half). You can have some effects in the different sets that overlap, so not necessarily 27 effects. This is assuming that you will be performing multiple times for the same people over a three hour period. If that isn't the case, you could do with 18 (or less) total effects. Also, the variety keeps you from getting bored!

I think I should be able to manage 27 effects. I made a big spreadsheet of every trick I could feasibly do for walkaround and I was having trouble deciding what to eliminate or keep.

Stick with the gmail address for now. Focus on this performance and then build from there.

Too late. Bought a domain and made a custom email for it haha.

So the reason I'm having you figure out everything about the event is to minimize surprises. If you know what to expect and plan accordingly, you will be less stressed the day of the event. Also, that will minimize any changes to what you have planned in your mind and make you feel more in control.

I already have experience with this. One of my first gigs and last gigs was for a "wine club" ironically enough. I was given 0 information about it until the week of, despite asking for it. I assumed a wine club was like a winery and I'd be doing walkaround, like with this gig. As it turns out, a wine club is more like a book club and he expected an hour long show for like 5-6 people. I actually managed to scrap something decently cohesive together in that time, including some wine-themed tricks but it was stressful. Having a local magic store definitely lessened the stress a bit but it's closed now so I have to be extra prepared.
In that same vein:

6. Keep it Simple - Do effects you know by heart, that don't require a lot of difficult sleights and that don't require complicated resets. Make everything as fool proof as possible. Think about what could go wrong and work to minimize that. If the number of effects is a concern, have fewer sets (2 rather than 3) or just rotate through two different sets for each hour. Try to minimize props on your person. Using a standard deck for multiple effects helps to do that.

I have a couple questions about this. First, would Scotch & Soda be a good trick for this? It's one of the only tricks on my list where the reset has me conflicted. The reset is fast but sometimes it takes multiple tries and it looks pretty odd so it could be tricky to do between tables. I don't think it's that bad but it could be weird if the people see me violently smacking my hands together between tables lol

Also, when it comes to using a standard deck, should I avoid tricks that involve signing/bending/ruining cards then? Or should I just bring backup decks. I was told that I should bring my closeup case (it's the one from TCC) and fill it with backup stuff (extra rubber bands, decks, loops, alternate tricks, etc) and ask the owners if there is a safe place I could keep it.

I have a one way force deck of the 3 of Clubs so I was considering just forcing the 3C whenever I do a trick involving a signed/folded card so that I always have a complete deck.

Not sure how that would unfold after the gig though. Could be kinda funny if other tables talk and realize they all have signed 3 of Clubs cards so it might be a good thing lol. Idk.

I have a handful of props I'm considering bringing but I'm not sure if they're worth the pocket space or not. If you don't mind, would I be able to message you one-on-one (possibly on Discord) about putting together my sets and whatnot? No worries if not.
7. Be organized - Write a list of everything you need for each set. Include on the list where you are going to hold the various props on your person. Use the list as a checklist to pack and bring it with you so that you put everything in the right place when you are setting up each set. I would pack the props for each set into a different gallon Zip Lock bag. So when you change props, making sure the bag is empty is a final check (after going through your list again). Pack the bags the day before. Check them right before you leave. Make sure you reset the same way after each performance. Pack a back-up bag with spare decks, new sharpies, etc. just in case.

I'm a BIG list guy. My notes app is probably my most used app. So I'll definitely have a set list.
8. Rehearse - Rehearse the effects in each set together in the same circumstances as you will be performing with the props in your pockets as it will be for the performance. Practice your approach lines before you start the set and practice you thank you lines after the effect. Do your reset immediately after performing. Everything should be rehearsed and practiced as you intend to perform.

Will do!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I'm a bit fashion stupid so what exactly would be a step up from shorts and a polo shirt? lol
I'd go with khakis with a broad cloth (more casual) button down.

Too late. Bought a domain and made a custom email for it
That works too.

First, would Scotch & Soda be a good trick for this? It's one of the only tricks on my list where the reset has me conflicted.
Yes. If you are rotating between three sets of effects, you only have to reset after nine effects. After the three sets, go outside of everyone's view and take a break and reset.

Also, when it comes to using a standard deck, should I avoid tricks that involve signing/bending/ruining cards then? Or should I just bring backup decks. I was told that I should bring my closeup case (it's the one from TCC) and fill it with backup stuff (extra rubber bands, decks, loops, alternate tricks, etc) and ask the owners if there is a safe place I could keep it.

I have a one way force deck of the 3 of Clubs so I was considering just forcing the 3C whenever I do a trick involving a signed/folded card so that I always have a complete deck.
Just bring extra decks. If you don't need a specific card, you can have 7 different cards signed and then given away without noticing it. Swap out the deck at that point. When you get home, you can use one of the decks to replenish the others. The TCC case is a good idea. You can keep the effects you are not using in there. You can also place it out of sight so you can go there to reset.

I have a handful of props I'm considering bringing but I'm not sure if they're worth the pocket space or not. If you don't mind, would I be able to message you one-on-one (possibly on Discord) about putting together my sets and whatnot? No worries if not.

I'd be glad to.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results