Advice?

Jun 24, 2008
United States
I think you performed the slights and actions very well. Not really a magician fooler, but i believe with an actual presentation, and patter that could be a very strong effect, especially to laymen =) good job.

~Nate

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Not really a magician fooler

Who cares? Egotistical magicians who love to show how clever they are because they know what sleights are being used or can roughly follow when a card has been switched or not... Not the laymen, so don't put it, there's simply no need...

No maliciousness intended at you Nate, by all means I think the rest of your comment was very good :)... But I just can't stand it when people start saying things like "not really a magician fooler" almost as though this brings the effect down a notch somehow.

I've seen many a magician fooled by something they shouldn't (though I don't really see how there's a list of what we should know) be fooled by... And yet they are, because they have that mindset of a magician looking for that crucial point of a switch or palm or whatever it may be at that time.

Magicians (Be enlarge) don't watch magic... they watch sleights. Which is a shame if you ask me.

~~~~~~~~ON TOPIC~~~~~~~~~~

I thought you demo'd the effect rather well. :) There were no flashes from what I could see (I only watched it once... you know, like a real performance would be). Obviously patter would've been nice, but I don't know whether that was available at the time so I can't really comment on that - I will say that this was a disadvantage however as the effect needed to be made very clear on it's own, which was... to a degree but not nearly enough as it would've been otherwise. The effect seemed to flow quite nicely, didn't feel rushed or too slow, so well done on the rhythm part. :)

In saying that however, there were moments of tension which gave signals of something is happening which signalled me to pay more attention at this moment. This is something best resolved with getting used to the effect to the point where you know exactly what needs to be done when and you can do it with little thought and focus your attention elsewhere. Making sense or just mindless ramble? :p

- Sean

Dec 22, 2007
Who cares? Egotistical magicians who love to show how clever they are because they know what sleights are being used or can roughly follow when a card has been switched or not... Not the laymen, so don't put it, there's simply no need...

No maliciousness intended at you Nate, by all means I think the rest of your comment was very good :)... But I just can't stand it when people start saying things like "not really a magician fooler" almost as though this brings the effect down a notch somehow.

I've seen many a magician fooled by something they shouldn't (though I don't really see how there's a list of what we should know) be fooled by... And yet they are, because they have that mindset of a magician looking for that crucial point of a switch or palm or whatever it may be at that time.

Notice:

You have received +10 official Filth Points.

Feel free to celebrate.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
to be honest... i cant get past the size of the font in your Signature.. Please, PLEASE make it smaller. It is one thing to list your current projects, but that largley, and in that font, is just hard on the eyes.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I agree with Sean's general comments about tension and so on - with the amount of effects you're trying to perfect in your sig - just make sure you don't move too fast. That said, there weren't any flashes that I could see.

Something more needs to be said though about performing magic. Watching that, it was nice to see solid sleight of hand. But that's all I saw. I saw someone who was good with cards do sneaky things. Nowhere in that video did I feel any sense of the magic, or any sense of performance. For example, I don't believe that you believed in what you were doing when you "threw" the card back into the box. That felt like a halfhearted attempt to let people know that something was going on, rather than actually being meaningful. In this sense I didn't really feel a grasp of performance, and, to use Derren Brown's words, felt like I was watching chicanery rather than magic.

why are magic videos accompanied by terrible music? you really don't perform with music for laymen so why shoot videos with it? get a live footage video that would be pimpin'. as for the effect, it is very similar to an Ortiz effect from Cardshark which is based off of tons of other effects.

not bad

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results