All the basic card sleights and more...

Oct 31, 2009
So the idea is to collect all the basic and a bit beyond it into one thread so I and everyone else can keep track on what you have learned and what you should learn next.

What should I say now? I mean sleights like Charlier cut, thumb fan etc etc. You can list tricks like Chicago opener, Ambitious card routine or so.. which does NOT require endless amount of sleight of hand. I've been doing magic over a year now and can do Tivo 2.0 for an example but I can't still master the very basic LEPAUL SPREAD.

So why I'm asking to list these things? As said in the form of lepaul spread, I think every magician should be able to do ALL THE BASIC sleights and flourishes before advancing to the next level and do things like molecule hollywood. I feel that I've skipped some things and now I'm trying to fix that. I hope you guys understand how I feel and respect to u guys out there. Peace from Finland!

Apr 1, 2009
California
Good idea. Although I wouldn't call the Charlier Cut a sleight. Sleights would be something more along the lines of double lift, classic pass, etc... moves that you don't want your spectator to ever see. skillful deception as the dictionary would define it. there could be another section for flourishes and whatnot.

Oct 31, 2009
Yeah like AsherF said by sleights i mean moves like charlier cut and the "real sleights" like classic pass.. so list 'em.. i'm trying to list some of them after a while but if all of u post a bunch we're more likely to get a better list of those moves.

Sep 6, 2009
USA
Good idea. Although I wouldn't call the Charlier Cut a sleight. Sleights would be something more along the lines of double lift, classic pass, etc... moves that you don't want your spectator to ever see. skillful deception as the dictionary would define it. there could be another section for flourishes and whatnot.

Charlier Cut started out as a sleight way back when Charlier was doing it. It was a secret move that the audience wouldn't see (misdirection is awesome), but in current times it really has become just a flourish. But it doesn't have to be, just another tool, and it can be used in a variety of ways.

Mechanics Grip
Biddle Grip
fan
spread
Double lift
double turnover
classic pass
top change
top palm
one hand top palm
false cut
false shuffle
color change (classic, shapeshifter (such))
some kind of control (overhand shuffle) using a jog
multiple card shift (hindu, cherry)

i think thoes are main basic slights you should know. there are variation

Oct 31, 2009
I've now listed some and here they are:

Sleights:
Tenkai
Backpalm
Double lift
Classic pass

Changes:
Snap change
Cardini change

Cuts & Flourishes:
Charlier cut
Thumb fan
LePaul spread
Pressure fan

Full tricks & routines:
Ambitious Card Routine
Chicago Opener

Oct 31, 2009
Mechanics Grip
Biddle Grip
fan
spread
Double lift
double turnover
classic pass
top change
top palm
one hand top palm
false cut
false shuffle
color change (classic, shapeshifter (such))
some kind of control (overhand shuffle) using a jog
multiple card shift (hindu, cherry)

i think thoes are main basic slights you should know. there are variation

Yeah there are some good ones but I'd really appreciate if you and others after you could be more specific on those "false cut" "false shuffle" "fan" "spread" etc. You could mention different kind of fans like i did.. Thumb fan, Pressure fan, LePaul spread etc.. thanks ;)

Jul 13, 2009
One handed top palm, once you learn that 'Card to Pocket.' I do not know who to credit that effect to.

Culling cards is a useful skill to have, once you master that combined the top palm you can have a thought of card vanish and appear in someone else's pocket.

Gamblers Cop I do regularly, side jogs, out jogs, other jogs. Then a good side steal is wonderful to have in your arsenal. A good color change or two is great to get attention, standard shuffling like overhand shuffles and controls are useful to know. Hmm what else do I think a beginner card magician should know? *scratches underside of muzzle*

Oh here is a tip, pick up the book "Expert at card technique" Read it all the way through, note the sleights and routines in it that seem valuable to you, and learn them.

Silver

Oct 31, 2009
More posts please? :) I've started training some of the moves listed on this thread but I know there's plenty more.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results