Am I ready for street magic?

Sep 12, 2009
I have around 6 months of experience (cards, coins) I have performed for friends (and strangers, but not in the streets).

I have always wanted to go up to someone and show them something, but always found excuses like "I don't think I'm ready yet" "I should still work on that" etc...
Should I just go out and do it, or should I just keep doing my tricks for the mirror before I have more experience "under my belt" (whatever that means...)

Oh, and please tell me about the first time YOU went out to do some street magic! How long have you been into magic at that time? What was your first experienece like? What tricks did you perform? Was the experience good/bad?

Looking forward to your replies!

Aug 18, 2008
When you first start off, you will probably be terrible no matter how much you you practice ahead. The only way to learn is to go out there and do it and learn from your mistakes, go ahead, give it a shot, its the only way you will find out how capable you are.

May 9, 2008
Just go out and perform, ask your spectator, "Do you mind if I practice a magic trick on you?" They will be disarmed, they won't expect much, and you'll be calm and get your experience in.

Sep 12, 2009
Well, last time I performed for people I did Thread by WH, ACR, 2CM, and branded which all got great reactions. I am pretty smooth, not perfect, but I'm smooth enough to perform the trick atleast decently. Let's just say I have not been caught (yet lol).

I assume when I go out in the streets things will get a bit more difficult, but to be honest I have never feared approaching anyone, it's just that I'm not sure if I'm capable of performing at a high level.

P.S. I'm planing on approaching girls only so it's all good haha

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I don't think anybody here can really tell you if you are ready or not.

This is entirely up to you and how you feel. If you feel like you are ready to do it. Then have at it and just have fun.

gavinross

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
toledo, ohio
With six months "under your belt" i'd say take your best couple of effects - ones you've worked on smoothness and above all presentation - and perform for others. People love magic; ive yet to be punched in the face for asking if someone wanted to see a couple magic tricks.

But some advice, replay in your mind each time you perform and ask yourself how you can make it just a little bit better - try, fail, and adjust. If you're nervous, they only way to overcome it is to do it - action overcomes fear. Think about the order of your effects too, build up to big effects like thread - if you do thread as an opener it'll be tough to top it, plus you'll probably freak some people out hah.

Finally you may be more nervous performing on the street for strangers then performing for the same old group of friends, but honestly my friends are the toughest people to perform for. Your friends are more likely to not follow your instructions exactly and grab at your cards etc, where as strangers are generally more respectful and when performed correctly, will truely believe you can do real magic.

These are just a couple tips that ive learned, and there may be nothing new in the above for you, but I hope this helps some! Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
"Expect your first 100 shows to suck" - Keith Bindlestiff

Street magic is a very misunderstood title. Walking up to people on the street and randomly showing them magic is more guerrilla tactics than performance. It's a good way to get better, but true street magic is actually called Busking. This is where you build a crowd, do a show, and ask for tips at the end. (Know your local laws. You can be arrested for panhandling or obstruction)

Regardless, 6 months is enough time to learn the move, but not enough to have a solid presentation that is engaging. (unless you are a savant) I'm not saying DON'T do it, but be aware of what you are doing.

I do agree with the above.. just go out and do it. The only way to get better is to just perform anywhere and everywhere.

Oh for the love of what ever god you hold holy I pray that you get disillusioned with the entire "street magic", David Blaine, Criss Angel, gorrilla, assulting innocent bystanders with horribly presented card tricks you downloaded off Ellusionist the night before presentation of magic.

That isn't magic. That's masturbation. It's done because it makes you feel better, and no one else.

You are not ready yet. Six months is enough time to learn a trick or two, but I highly doubt you've mastered any patter, know how to present, and most importantly how to entertain.

The best way to get better is of course to perform, so I recomend you abuse your friends and family as guinnie pigs for the next six months. Please spare the innocent populace from being assulted with an array of "pick a card" tricks.

Bizzaro is right about your first 100 shows. They will suck. You're going to screw up. It's better to screw up infront of friends, school talent shows, or family instead of infront of some poor stranger you're accosting on some street corner with your five speed. At least your friends and family will be gentler on your ego, and will give you constructive critisism that is vital to any acts growth and progression. A stranger may not tell you what you need to hear.

Look into studing theater. Learn about presentation. Read and understand Ortiz "Strong Magic" or Webers "Maximum Entertainment". Build character, and practice ALL of this as hard as you practice your slights.

You are not Criss or David, nor should you ever aspire to be. You should try to set your own name, discover your own style, and be your self.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Oh for the love of what ever god you hold holy I pray that you get disillusioned with the entire "street magic", David Blaine, Criss Angel, gorrilla, assulting innocent bystanders with horribly presented card tricks you downloaded off Ellusionist the night before presentation of magic.

That isn't magic. That's masturbation. It's done because it makes you feel better, and no one else.

You are not ready yet. Six months is enough time to learn a trick or two, but I highly doubt you've mastered any patter, know how to present, and most importantly how to entertain.

The best way to get better is of course to perform, so I recomend you abuse your friends and family as guinnie pigs for the next six months. Please spare the innocent populace from being assulted with an array of "pick a card" tricks.

Look into studing theater. Learn about presentation. Read and understand Ortiz "Strong Magic" or Webers "Maximum Entertainment". Build character, and practice ALL of this as hard as you practice your slights.

You are not Criss or David, nor should you ever aspire to be. You should try to set your own name, discover your own style, and be your self.

Amen to that.

Sep 20, 2008
EGYPT
i just wanna say dude dont do it wait for at least 1 more year or atleast 6 months trust me just STAY HOME AND PRACTICE!

ALY

Apr 1, 2009
California
I'm over a year into the art and I'm still holding back on performing. It means too much to me than to just go out there unprepared. I know how I want to portray myself as an artist, so I don't want to go out and not do it near justice. Stick to family and friends for now. If you're questioning if you're ready, you're not. If you have any question in your mind, it will become a demon that will wait to tear at you once you are in the street. Just worry about practicing and dissecting the work you have. KNOW the effects inside and out, take them to their full potential.

Nov 10, 2007
Virginia

Bizzaro is right about your first 100 shows. They will suck. You're going to screw up. It's better to screw up infront of friends, school talent shows, or family instead of infront of some poor stranger you're accosting on some street corner with your five speed. At least your friends and family will be gentler on your ego, and will give you constructive critisism that is vital to any acts growth and progression. A stranger may not tell you what you need to hear.

Two things...

First off, I don't appreciate the fact that you "called me out" on my PH contest thread. If you read the previous posts in that thread, you could have seen that I was preparing for college, therefore had very little time to do anything. What gives you the right to call me out just to raise your post count? Nothing.

Now that's out of the way... I have been performing magic for 4 years and have recently started actually scheduling performances. For right now, I suggest showing your tricks to friends, like most other people said. BUT, don't push it TOO much, for your friends, if interested, will eventually pick up on the sleights and moves you are doing and, believe me, it's annoying. I also suggest occasionally performing a trick to a stranger once in a while, just to throw a little experience in there. If you mess up, oh well, it's not like their ever going to see you again...

Two things...

First off, I don't appreciate the fact that you "called me out" on my PH contest thread. If you read the previous posts in that thread, you could have seen that I was preparing for college, therefore had very little time to do anything. What gives you the right to call me out just to raise your post count? Nothing.

Two things to you sir.

1) Your post, contest, and what was said in there has NO business here in this thread. You can go whine and bellyache to me in private or I don't know, maybe be more responsible with your own contests and how you run them.

I don't know you from Sam, and neither does half the rest of the forum. This is the internet man. Crazy people are out there to scam people, and I don't know if you bothered to check the facts but a $300 dollar prize for an event that isn't sponsored by or endorsed by Theory11 sends up HUGE red flags.

You're lucky I was nice enough to give you the bennifit of the doubt instead of calling you out at the start of it. It only took you abandoning your top three players with no communication for a couple of weeks before I said anything.

Don't fault me Sir for looking out for the better interests of everyone else here. I care less about my post count than I do for you at the current moment. Needless to say, that's not a lot.

2) As I said. You can whine to me in private from here out. I don't want this crap out here in this otherwise perfectly good thread.

Sep 12, 2009

I appreciate the advice, though your assumption of my skill level is way off. I have performed for people (no not just my friends or people I know!) and the reactions were great. I aim to entertain. I practice daily, and I AM NOT just a "pick a card" guy.

I have no other way to build experience. I've been drilling my effects for 6 months now, and I doubt I would mess up because I feel the effects that I DO KNOW I can perform them in my sleep. Presentation is another thing.... I need to improve it like evrything else I agree..

Well, I'm just gonna stop right there. To be fair you can't asses my skill level over a forum and I understand that. I just feel I am better than that.
I don't want to come off like some arrogant 12 year old on a forum, I really want to say that I appreciate all the advice!

My conclusion: I will spend a couple more months of mirror and camera time, and then I'll go out and perform on the streets. Only THEN I will decide if I'm good enough.

Today is a good day, i can relate to this topic too.

I started street magic when i was 2 months in.
Think about it 2 months.

And ive been performing for 2 years now, setting aside alittle crisis that i had which made me feel like s*it, im improving in mayor speeds because of that. And im thinking of starting again since it is my second home. I love it.

Something i want you to know is that if you fail you fail hard. The people give you theyr time and they want alot for it. If you fail they WILL screw you up.

Its harsh i know, but the streets are the best place to get started and be good at what you want to do. I started 2 months in and i did a gig for 500 people 1 year and a few months in. Im doing 2 shows in a private theater for 35 people for money next month. Ive done 2 mayor shows which one was with 5 magicians and the other was with my buddy.

Its amazing how much street can teach you and im glad i took on the journey. I did it with my buddy tho, who does not want to hear about it anymore since he does not do close up anymore so im on my own. I have little expierience doing this by my own but i have to get used to it.

The streets will mould you and make your performance stronger. Just make sure you practice alot and make shure that your character is solid and you presentation is solid.

Mikk

Jul 13, 2009
I just have a question have you just tried taking the advantage and going for it?

"You have one life might as well live it to its fullest. Take opportunities that you get; you may never get the chance to do it again."
Colonel Joseph Mitchell (Marine core)

its never too late to start doing it in front of friends....start immediately....they help your rep grow....do it for friend..then later move on up doing it for the school or whatever...and later think about doing it for organizations......try to perfect whatever you do...even its its 5 good effects you know...do them...add your own patter...please don't do what you have seen Blaine or Angel do....make your own story.....it kinda helps you as a performer as well....its like riding a car....you know when to speed up...i agree with all these people but only you and you only will know when to go further......

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results