Angle Zero

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
Ok, I've been performing Angle Zero for awhile. And has anyone else gotten spectators that truely believe you threw it!!????

Has that happend to anyone else???

And another thing, I've performed this effect, if I had to guess, close to about 60 times. And EVERY SINGLE TIME, there has not been 1 little time, where someone hasn't said, "Alright now put it back together. No this isn't a problem, I just wanted to know has that happend to anyone else too???

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
ive never had someone say i threw it, and only a couple times ask if i can restore it. i have a method for restoring it - if you want it pm me - but i usually give it to them as a souvenir to remind them that the corners match.

Nov 10, 2007
People do usually look to see if i dropped it but they never say " you threw it ". I have tested different ways to appear the card and I have seen from my mouth gets the craziest reactions, try it out.

I've had a couple people say I threw it, it depends on the location. Try to be as creative as possible with the reveal.
As for the restoration, Angle Zero is actually a variation of a trick called "Execution" where the card is restored. It's on lecture notes "TWO."

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
People do usually look to see if i dropped it but they never say " you threw it ". I have tested different ways to appear the card and I have seen from my mouth gets the craziest reactions, try it out.

dude. This is crazy. Apparently I'm the only one that get people saying I threw it. haha

I mean, this has happend to me EVERY time!! :p

Oct 25, 2008
Michigan
Maybe it's where you are revealing the corner to be. I mean, if you just put it somewhere across the room sure, people might think you threw it, but if the corner ends up IN something, or UNDER something or IMPAILED on something they can't very well think you threw it there. But then again, spectators will be spectators and if the want to come up with an explaination for how you did something it doesnt matter how outrageous it is they will usually really believe they figured you out.

Nov 30, 2007
Maybe it's where you are revealing the corner to be. I mean, if you just put it somewhere across the room sure, people might think you threw it, but if the corner ends up IN something, or UNDER something or IMPAILED on something they can't very well think you threw it there. But then again, spectators will be spectators and if the want to come up with an explaination for how you did something it doesnt matter how outrageous it is they will usually really believe they figured you out.

Thats a very good point. I mostly do it on a clock or on/in something that couldn't be accomplished by just throwing it.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007

haha very true!

But even so, I've had it reappear on another spectators belt(not a stooge, just a freaking lots and lots of misdirection) and someone still thought I threw it...... :rolleyes:

Nov 18, 2008
CA
haha very true!

But even so, I've had it reappear on another spectators belt(not a stooge, just a freaking lots and lots of misdirection) and someone still thought I threw it...... :rolleyes:

wow haha. yeah you threw the corner across the room were it wedged itself into someones belt without anyone seeing. Ahh i love some spectators explanations of effects. It's just hilarious.

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
This was funny When i was performing on the train Phil did angle zero and then he was asked to put it back together and then i did something and it looked like it was printed back on the card, was so cool.

Oct 13, 2008
Hello all! I just purchased the Angle Zero download not too long ago, and just performed it yesterday. This thread had me laughing because I thought I had put my own twist on the trick by having the piece re-appear inside a glass ornament hanging on the tree. Upon breaking it and showing the corner, the first thing out of my ten year old nephew's mouth was "Can you put it back together?". Kids......

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
"Alright now put it back together. No this isn't a problem, I just wanted to know has that happend to anyone else too???

hahahaha I receive the same response everytime I perform the trick...

"woouwwww! awesome! Is the craziest thing I have ever seen! glue it back toguether magically wil ya?"

hahahahaha:D

Sep 1, 2007
If they are thinking you threw it, you need to work on your presentation... a lot. If they are asking you to restore it, you need to work on your presentation...a lot.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
If they are thinking you threw it, you need to work on your presentation... a lot. If they are asking you to restore it, you need to work on your presentation...a lot.

I disagree with you. I don't think it has to do with presentation. As Wayne Houchin once says, "It doesn't matter how illogical their method can be; if they have an explanation, it's an explanation." Meaning that it's not the magicians fault, it's the fact that, they are trying to figure it out, and the only thing that is "some-what" logical is throwing it.

As for putting it back together, I couldn't disagree with you more. For some reason, everytime I peform this trick and rip the card, they are like, "awww that's sad, you ripped the card, now your deck is incomplete." and stuff like that.

Not to mention, usually they ask me to do another trick, which usually when someone tears something and you're infront of a magician, laymen are bound to ask you to magically restore it.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
As for putting it back together, I couldn't disagree with you more. For some reason, everytime I peform this trick and rip the card, they are like, "awww that's sad, you ripped the card, now your deck is incomplete." and stuff like that.

Never happened to me! heh;

Whenever they give me presents, its a deck of cards so I can do that "****ing miracle" again. So they don't mind that I ruin decks ;)

Gustav

Sep 1, 2007
I disagree with you. I don't think it has to do with presentation. As Wayne Houchin once says, "It doesn't matter how illogical their method can be; if they have an explanation, it's an explanation." Meaning that it's not the magicians fault, it's the fact that, they are trying to figure it out, and the only thing that is "some-what" logical is throwing it.

Not to mention, usually they ask me to do another trick, which usually when someone tears something and you're infront of a magician, laymen are bound to ask you to magically restore it.

If you are performing in a meaningful way. They won't be trying to figure it out. They won't care how you did it. It is all about audience management.

Audience management means controlling your audience so they are not bent on trying to figure out your tricks. It means controlling them so they will understand what you are doing is very important and is worth seeing. It is causing them to know something exists far outside their normal spectrum of living and they are privileged and lucky to be witnessing your performance. Audience management is, in the final analysis, making them believe there is real magic!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
but remember that they are not trying to figure it out, they just want to know if it can be put back together. with audience management skills and my own restoration i have created two seperate miracles for them leaving them in awe. i am rarely asked to restore it, but when i do, they have never tried to figure it out.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
If you are performing in a meaningful way. They won't be trying to figure it out. They won't care how you did it. It is all about audience management.

Audience management means controlling your audience so they are not bent on trying to figure out your tricks. It means controlling them so they will understand what you are doing is very important and is worth seeing. It is causing them to know something exists far outside their normal spectrum of living and they are privileged and lucky to be witnessing your performance. Audience management is, in the final analysis, making them believe there is real magic!

very true.

let me try to rephrase that. Most of the time I can control them to a certain point where they understand that what I'm doing is important and they don't try to figure it out. A lot of times, I get people that say, "Oh my gosh, how did you do that........oh wait, please don't tell me" (not like I would tell them anyways. :p)

but even though they are just sitting back and enjoying the show, they still want to know to an extent, that is why they ask, how is it possible.
And of course, you know how some high schoolers can get. Sometimes you can't control them enough and they just want to heckle you, which I of course know how to handle them. But they are the ones that continuously try to figure this stuff out.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results