Anyone else NOT impressed?

Sep 9, 2007
There are pickup forums...? Wow... then again this is the internet, I don't know why it surprises me. It's funny that they worry about exposure, I wonder if they submit petitions to Youtube too to ban 'noobs' from exposing thier latest techniques. I always found the whole, opening my mouth and talking technique worked rather well, not sure about anyone else. As for magic, what can you do, magic is lame, give up and find a real hobby or something.

lol. the better you get, the more natural you can be. I'm just there to help guys out. I even run a little group in Toronto that gets wingmen together and teaches the really shy guys.

you'd be surprised how many guys are afraid to even approach a girl. With some scripted openers (NOT PICKUP LINES!!!!) as training wheels, we teach guys to focus on things like body language, conversation/social skills, tonality and generally displaying true confidence.

But you just proved my point, It's not that "underground" (there was even a TV show which i'll talk more about in a second), yet ALOT of people don't know about it. Even talking to some local magicians, they ask "what's theory11?".

btw, that TV show "The Pickup Artist" features and illusionist-turned-Pickup Artist called "Mystery" (aka Erik Von Markovik). There's also a reality-gameshow in Canada called "Keys to the VIP" that semi-reveals pickup terminology and strategy. A magician called Mike D'Urzo was featured on one of the episodes and did really well (i think he beat the other guy in the challenges). When those came out, a bunch of people were crying that the sky was falling, but you're proof that people still don't know we exist.

Sep 1, 2007
I'm in a pickup forum and every week there's a thread about how the community is going to be found out and people are worried their precious routines, attitudes and everything else they've learned is going to get pointed out in the middle of a pickup.

Really? Nice to see a fellow brother-in-arms here. Which board do you go to?

seriously, if you're worried about being "found out", "selling out", or the community dying, then that just means you don't have the spirit (notice i didn't say skill) to run with the best. The people who love it KNOW it will change and evolve and will always work harder to be their very best at it.

This is the one thing in this thread I can buy the most.

If I have any complaints about Theory-11, it's the shape of the forums. There are good people here, but they're being swamped in a lot of politics, whining, and redundant Chicken Little acts.

btw, that TV show "The Pickup Artist" features and illusionist-turned-Pickup Artist called "Mystery" (aka Erik Von Markovik).

Ah yes, Mystery. The most vocal spokesman of the pick-up community, and probably also the craziest.

Part of me wishes he would take a hiatus though and develop some of those illusion shows he used to talk about. His ideas were absolutely brilliant.

Sep 1, 2007
I would think by now everyone would realize that we are all here to talk about magic, meet new friends and have fun.

It is not like this all happens by itself. It takes tons of thought, planning and hard work. It is not all about the products.

Impressed... to be honest I am very impressed

Chris Kenner

Ok, that really ticks me off. You hype the site to hell and back, saying things that sound like they came right out of E's play book "a revolution is coming" blah blah blah. Now you tell me we are here to talk about magic? Not that there is anything wrong with that. And I'm sure people will hate me for this. But that is bull Mr. Kenner.

Now, I know it takes a lot of hard work. Lots of planning, but next time, don't hype something until you got it. And calling this place underground is a joke. I mean you put the site in a magazine. Not even close.

Just being honest.

Sep 9, 2007
Ah yes, Mystery. The most vocal spokesman of the pick-up community, and probably also the craziest.

Part of me wishes he would take a hiatus though and develop some of those illusion shows he used to talk about. His ideas were absolutely brilliant.

lol. Mystery really is a....ummm....character....lol...

Brilliant guy, but I can see how a lot of people don't like him. Personally, I think he's cool. Alot of great concepts to extract if you don't get caught up in canned routines.

I'm sure there's more of us on here, hiding in the shadows. There must be, because I actually heard of T11 on a pickup forum. They can come out of hiding now, but I bet most will go back and post up how we're not "underground" anymore...

another thing I've noticed is that there's a bunch of people out there who only like things that are underground. They like that exclusive, "diamond-in-the-rough" feeling, they have some complex where they need it to feel elite. When it gets found out, they usually freak out, scream bloody murder, and move on to something else more exclusive, never really enjoying anything at the height of it's evolution. I pity them.

Dec 2, 2007
Hmmm...

Dear S3al,

Ok first of all, how about you show Mr. Kenner some respect. For someone who doesn't like this website, you sure do spend a lot of time writing meaningless posts. What's the matter, did Penguin Magic kick you off their site? I happen to feel that this is an excellent website with some of the most talented magicians in the business. If you spent as much time working on your craft as you do *****ing and moaning on here, maybe you might be selling a trick that everyone would want to buy. But no, you'd rather just criticize other people for your lack of talent.

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
Dear S3al,

Ok first of all, how about you show Mr. Kenner some respect. For someone who doesn't like this website, you sure do spend a lot of time writing meaningless posts. What's the matter, did Penguin Magic kick you off their site? I happen to feel that this is an excellent website with some of the most talented magicians in the business. If you spent as much time working on your craft as you do *****ing and moaning on here, maybe you might be selling a trick that everyone would want to buy. But no, you'd rather just criticize other people for your lack of talent.

Perfectly said. This is what I was talking about in the thread seeing what we could do to make Theory11 a more respected community. We really don't need to have useless posts like S3al's anymore. There is just no point anymore.

Shane K.

adc

Elite Member
Dec 2, 2007
Some of you sound like you have a personal vendetta against each other. This is evident in any and every forum...or in any community. It becomes segregated by the supporters and the haters.
A group of people try to start something new with the best intentions, but it never ends up being perfect. So the people who disagree with the group's principles and ideas start ranting and raving and saying "boo" while the others defend themselves.
This is the same with government and politics.

I come go to these sites because it brings out the kid in me. And every new magic forum I read starts off friendly and ends with a bunch of people taking it so seriously, to the point where it becomes a political debate.
IT'S MAGIC!
I'll say it again. IT'S JUST FRIGGIN MAGIC!
Simply saying the word, "magic" makes me laugh a little. Although I love it, I understand the reality of it. There's no such thing as magic. It's just an idea that we are creating because we all aren't afraid to be kids again and imagine.

It's understandable that for a lot of people, it's a way of making a living. Thus, that's where the seriousness comes into play. But I doubt any of you began learning magic with dollar signs in your eyes. And you didn't see a trick for the first time and say, "***k this! I can do that s***!"
You didn't care how the magicians presented his trick or what scripting or sleights he chose to use or if the trick was new or not...because you obviously had no idea. The only thing you knew was that you just saw something amazing!

I apologize for such a lengthy essay, but I wanted to note that this is a re-occurring pattern. It's a pattern that some of you "magic revolutionaries" say is a dissappointment, but you're actually helping to reinforce that pattern you hate so much.
No one wins. The people who disagree and start commotions inside a community of people who enjoy each others company, end up making a circle of friends that agree with each other. So they say to themselves "Let's change things!" and they grow their own community. They'll eventually find people who think they are full of s*** too. As for those people who have extreme opposing views and can only manage to type into a forum but not be able to change something...then you aren't really helping anyone. You are just starting fights.

So if you disagree, that's fine. Like we all say "You have the right!"
But if you disagree with what the whole idea of a community stands for...in this case, the THEORY 11 site, then you're better off somewhere else where you are more comfortable.

Don't kill the magic for the rest of us.

Thanks

adc

Elite Member
Dec 2, 2007
Some of you sound like you have a personal vendetta against each other. This is evident in any and every forum...or in any community. It becomes segregated by the supporters and the haters.
A group of people try to start something new with the best intentions, but it never ends up being perfect. So the people who disagree with the group's principles and ideas start ranting and raving and saying "boo" while the others defend themselves.
This is the same with government and politics.

I come go to these sites because it brings out the kid in me. And every new magic forum I read starts off friendly and ends with a bunch of people taking it so seriously, to the point where it becomes a political debate.
IT'S MAGIC!
I'll say it again. IT'S JUST FRIGGIN MAGIC!
Simply saying the word, "magic" makes me laugh a little. Although I love it, I understand the reality of it. There's no such thing as magic. It's just an idea that we are creating because we all aren't afraid to be kids again and imagine.

It's understandable that for a lot of people, it's a way of making a living. Thus, that's where the seriousness comes into play. But I doubt any of you began learning magic with dollar signs in your eyes. And you didn't see a trick for the first time and say, "***k this! I can do that s***!"
You didn't care how the magicians presented his trick or what scripting or sleights he chose to use or if the trick was new or not...because you obviously had no idea. The only thing you knew was that you just saw something amazing!

I apologize for such a lengthy essay, but I wanted to note that this is a re-occurring pattern. It's a pattern that some of you "magic revolutionaries" say is a dissappointment, but you're actually helping to reinforce that pattern you hate so much.
No one wins. The people who disagree and start commotions inside a community of people who enjoy each others company, end up making a circle of friends that agree with each other. So they say to themselves "Let's change things!" and they grow their own community. They'll eventually find people who think they are full of s*** too. As for those people who have extreme opposing views and can only manage to type into a forum but not be able to change something...then you aren't really helping anyone. You are just starting fights.

So if you disagree, that's fine. Like we all say "You have the right!"
But if you disagree with what the whole idea of a community stands for...in this case, the THEORY 11 site, then you're better off somewhere else where you are more comfortable.

Don't kill the magic for the rest of us.

Thanks

Sep 1, 2007
Dear S3al,

But no, you'd rather just criticize other people for your lack of talent.

excuse me wile I laugh my head off at you.

I was perfectly fair in that post. It was 100% right, and you know it. Maybe I was a little to angry at the time when I wrote it, but I'm tired of this crap. All this hype and trailers of magic tricks with words like "underground" in them and weird camera angels where they show you...well...basically nothing of the effect, but just weird camera angels of street signs. And the effect is nothing special or new, It needs to stop.

You have no idea who I am, so back off.

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
In all honesty the only people who are disappointed are the people who are hanging on every "latest and greatest" release and fail to realize there is already a ton of existing magic out there waiting to be explored. I am not pointing the finger at any one person but the people who waiting for the next best thing are usually left in the dust or drop magic all together eventually. It gets old chasing the next best thing, trust me I tried it for awhile.

I didn't buy into any hype surrounding this site and I don't buy into the hype around any other site. I just stop by a few places a day looking for a meaningful conversation. I already have all the magic I will ever need and if something comes along now and then that strikes my fancy, great! But I am not sitting around waiting on others to create new miracles.

--Jim

Nov 20, 2007
Love T11

I am very happy with the website. I think the community is getting better and there is lots of fun stuff going on. I do like the products they have put out. yes some of the stuff has been round for awhile but the DVDs they put with them are very well done and cover many aspects of the performance they are worth buying. I rebuilt my destortion gimmick so it looks better close-up, but over all I am happy with everything I have bought at T11.

Sep 1, 2007
lol. Mystery really is a....ummm....character....lol...

Brilliant guy, but I can see how a lot of people don't like him. Personally, I think he's cool. Alot of great concepts to extract if you don't get caught up in canned routines.

Hell, I'd just like to see what it's like to have a conversation with him.

I'm sure there's more of us on here, hiding in the shadows. There must be, because I actually heard of T11 on a pickup forum. They can come out of hiding now, but I bet most will go back and post up how we're not "underground" anymore...

I know a few people at E are in the community, but I'm the only one who will admit to it. Few magicians outside of Docc Hilford seem to be willing to admit that they can get women with their skills.

another thing I've noticed is that there's a bunch of people out there who only like things that are underground. They like that exclusive, "diamond-in-the-rough" feeling, they have some complex where they need it to feel elite. When it gets found out, they usually freak out, scream bloody murder, and move on to something else more exclusive, never really enjoying anything at the height of it's evolution. I pity them.

You've discovered what I refer to as kvlt kiddie syndrome. Long story short, it's named for an inside joke among metalheads. We joke that fans of the subgenre of black metal won't listen to music that does not meet their standards of being "grim, br00tal, nekro, tr00" and of course "kvlt".

If you already do listen to metal, then consider that an education for everybody else who may be reading this.

Sep 9, 2007
I generally avoid magic during pickup, but inadvertantly pick-up while doing magic alot.

alot of the time they see it anyways cause it's just a part of who I am.

but i definately don't force magic into my pickup strategy.

Sep 1, 2007
Naturally, you want to avoid being pigeonholed.

I swear, every time a thread comes up talking about trying to get girls with magic a part of me dies inside. It's almost as bad as when guitarists do the same thing. Every time I think they can't sink any lower, I find a gaping hole in the floor.

Sep 9, 2007
I swear, every time a thread comes up talking about trying to get girls with magic a part of me dies inside.

that described it dead on. I felt bad for the kid who posted up the tread about asking the girl out with magic. He seemed young enough though, I didn't have the heart to tell him not to.

Sep 9, 2007
Hey, I actually picked up a chick by showing her magic. Just once though. Never picked up another chick with magic in my life. But hey, it works somethimes (rarely).

Anthony Bass

I'm not saying it does/doesn't work, that's more about HOW you do it. It's just that if you walk in a sort of needy way wanting to show them a trick, you're dead in the water. very try hard.

you know, I promised myself I wouldn't get into Pickup stuff on here. I guess that's out the window.

Nov 19, 2007
Honestly, i am more than happy with T11, its products, and most importantly the staff, what more can you want? or need? You got your favorite and well respected creators and magicians, replying to your posts; making jokes and having a great time bringing something new to this magic community. I see a lot of people pointing fingers at Theory11 because they are not good, or "underground" enough...are u serious? What were you expecting?? Were u expecting them to sell "real magic power"? If you don't like what they are doing to make you a better performer and give you something fun to do on saturdays...Why don't you make your own website and call it www.theory12.com and change this magic community? Instead of talking about how T11 is not impressive enough for you.
At the end of the day, we are all human beings that wants to show LAY PEOPLE that we have magic powers by doing magic tricks. We are not trying to prove ANY MAGICIAN that we have real magic powers. Everybody is looking for the NEXT BIG THING...instead, why don't you sit and practice that trick you bought few months ago but you NEVER performed because it was too complicated and you might mess up...it might be the best trick you ever bought in your life. or you might even think of the "next big thing" while performing it.

i got love for my fellow magicians, you guys are the ones that makes this world entertaining, but sometimes we really need to think about what magic is all about. (guys, excuse my english)

E-magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results