Approaching People

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
I'm by no means new to magic but I am 17 and most of my magic I do is at school and occasionally for some of the middle school kids in our local burger place that everyone goes to on Fridays. However, I usually just do tricks to whoever I end up sitting next to in class or to my friends. I have also incorporated small, quick tricks into various presentations.

Anyway, I like the guerilla style magic of David Blaine where he approaches random people and I'd like to be able to do this more often during like lunch or when I'm out with friends. I've heard you need to create an atmosphere before you start doing tricks and talk to the audience beforehand. What are some ways of doing this? What should I say or talk about? Is it simply a matter of introducing myself first?

Also, for some reason I tend to shake a lot when too many people are watching. It's odd because I'm used to it and I can somewhat control it and it doesn't affect my tricks or patter but it's incredibly noticeable. How can I stop myself from shaking like this?

Any tips for performing for total strangers would be appreciated. Also, recommendations for books about talking to people in magic would also be appreciated. I don't usually have an issue with this but I could still use some tips.

Thank You.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
The shaking phase is completely normal and we've all gone through this. It's just your adrenaline/nerves and fear of messing up. It happens to the best of us. Eventually with enough experience under your belt the shakes diminish and eventually go away completely. They will I promise. Ha.

As far as approaching people it's difficult at first because you are used to performing for your same classmates over and over, but eventually that leads to "Show us a trick magic boy!" or "What do you have for us today?" and it becomes more of a game per say than a performance for you. Don't get into that mess.

When you are approaching random strangers at your age, especially adults who you want to take you seriously, your attire and manners do play some what of a role. You can't be dressed looking like you just came from the skate park all sweaty and nasty looking. You won't be taken serious at all. I would recommend the mall food court perhaps at first. Just approach them and introduce yourself and say that you are an entertainer and are working on some new material for your next show. (They don't know that you don't do shows yet...ha) Ask them if they would mind checking out a few of your routines and just go from there. It is going to feel awkward at first and some people will actually turn you down and say they do not want to see anything. Just politely say thank you and walk way.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
The shaking phase is completely normal and we've all gone through this. It's just your adrenaline/nerves and fear of messing up. It happens to the best of us. Eventually with enough experience under your belt the shakes diminish and eventually go away completely. They will I promise. Ha.

As far as approaching people it's difficult at first because you are used to performing for your same classmates over and over, but eventually that leads to "Show us a trick magic boy!" or "What do you have for us today?" and it becomes more of a game per say than a performance for you. Don't get into that mess.

When you are approaching random strangers at your age, especially adults who you want to take you seriously, your attire and manners do play some what of a role. You can't be dressed looking like you just came from the skate park all sweaty and nasty looking. You won't be taken serious at all. I would recommend the mall food court perhaps at first. Just approach them and introduce yourself and say that you are an entertainer and are working on some new material for your next show. (They don't know that you don't do shows yet...ha) Ask them if they would mind checking out a few of your routines and just go from there. It is going to feel awkward at first and some people will actually turn you down and say they do not want to see anything. Just politely say thank you and walk way.

I've heard that most magicians shake so that's reassuring.

I do kind of have a reputation as "the magic kid" but my classmates don't usually ask me to do a trick unless I actually have my cards out. Funny you should mention the name "magic boy" as there's one girl who calls me that and has offered to be my "hot assistant" so that's pretty cool lol.

What do you mean by attire? I don't really have a magic outfit as it's just my normal clothes. I usually wear a t-shirt or long sleeved shirt, hoodie, and jeans. Is there anything I should change? Also, I like your mall idea.

As for shows, I haven't really considered actually doing shows. I wanted to do a sort of charity thing for children's hospitals and stuff. Also, I'm working at a local kids camp this summer so there's that too. But I haven't considered doing shows professionally. Should I? How do I start with that? My dad is very encouraging and said it's good to have a unique skill like magic that I can entertain others with. My mom doesn't think it's a good way to make money. We also have a local magic shop and I was considering applying to work there as it's run by a single dude and his mother. Plus, he's really cool, knows me well, and it would be a great way to learn some tips and new tricks. I want to ask but my mom once again thinks he's weird. Not like creepy pedo weird but like sorta eccentric weird. But I mean all magicians are kinda like that on some level.

Sorry about this rant. It's just nice being able to talk to other magicians for once. Just looking for advice.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Start with Under/Over which is a free e-book from Vanishing, Inc. written by Joshua Jay. It is directed at younger magicians and their parents, but would be helpful to you.

I've heard you need to create an atmosphere before you start doing tricks and talk to the audience beforehand. What are some ways of doing this? What should I say or talk about? Is it simply a matter of introducing myself first?

Rick's advice is really good.

If you are doing the "walk-up" performance, start off with just talking to the people. Actually, just practice talking to people without doing magic. Talk to people in the line at the store. Talk to people while waiting in line anywhere. Open doors for people and when they say thank you, tell them to have a nice day. Say good morning to people.

Also, recommendations for books about talking to people in magic would also be appreciated. I don't usually have an issue with this but I could still use some tips.

A great book is Leil Lowndes' How to Talk to Anyone. It is not magic related, but is a good book for real life.

Also, for some reason I tend to shake a lot when too many people are watching. It's odd because I'm used to it and I can somewhat control it and it doesn't affect my tricks or patter but it's incredibly noticeable. How can I stop myself from shaking like this?

As Rick said, it is excitement and being nervous. Essentially, your body feels it is in a situation where you need to fight or flee. It is really a primal survival instinct which allows you to react quickly when you meet new people just in case they decide to kill you and eat you. What you are feeling is truly nervous energy. If you embrace this energy, it can actually help you in performing because your mental and physical reflexes are primed. To alleviate the shaking, you need feedback from the audience. If I'm right, the shaking usually subsides after you finish the first effect? That is because they like the effect and like you. As a result, your body decided that the spectators actually are not going to kill you and eat you. The way to get rid of the shakes sooner, is to engage the audience. If you talk to the spectators first, your body relaxes. If you say you are working on new effects, your body relaxes because if you screw up, it is ok. If you have a set opening presentation, that helps because you go into your script and that distracts your body from its fear of being eaten because you are focusing on something familiar and safe. As you become more experienced, your body still will get the energy surge, but it will control it because you've done this before and weren't eaten.

For me, I have a set opening for my show that is developed to draw the audience into the show and that gets a reaction in the second line:

When I tell people that I’m really interested in magic and that I’m a magician, everyone always asks me how I became so interested in magic. I think that the question they really want to ask is “why would an grown adult be so interested in magic?” Regardless of the question, the answer is the same. It’s my Uncle Jim’s fault.​

It makes a connection with the audience, and I can go on with the routine because I know they don't want to kill and eat me. As you do this for a while, you will also find that being introduced as "the magician" or introducing yourself as the magician gives you an elevated status -- you must be good because you are "hired" (whether you are being paid or not) as the entertainment.

What do you mean by attire? I don't really have a magic outfit as it's just my normal clothes. I usually wear a t-shirt or long sleeved shirt, hoodie, and jeans. Is there anything I should change? Also, I like your mall idea.

It all depends on your audience. For kids your age, what you are wearing works. If you are performing for 40-Something adults, move it up a notch. Maybe a Polo Shirt and Khakis or black jeans.

As for shows, I haven't really considered actually doing shows. I wanted to do a sort of charity thing for children's hospitals and stuff. Also, I'm working at a local kids camp this summer so there's that too. But I haven't considered doing shows professionally. Should I? How do I start with that?

Start by developing a show. Decide what type of show you want to do. Is it close up, walk around, parlor, stage magic or mentalism? Decide who your audience is. Adults, kids, hospital patients, nursing home residents, etc. Build the elements of the show -- your character, your effects and your presentation. I'd be glad to help you with the design of the show. Once you have the show, there will be lots of opportunites to perform it. I agree that you should start doing charity shows to get experience and get your name out there. Don't do "free" shows for people and groups other than charities.

A great book on performance is Ken Webber's Maximum Entertainment. It is amazingly practically and has a lot of useful advice.

Summer camp is a great place to perform formally and informally. I'm actually working with my 14 year old son on routines to perform as a counselor at camp as one-off performances. If there is an opportunity, do a show at camp for all the kids attending the show.

As for shows, My dad is very encouraging and said it's good to have a unique skill like magic that I can entertain others with. My mom doesn't think it's a good way to make money. We also have a local magic shop and I was considering applying to work there as it's run by a single dude and his mother. Plus, he's really cool, knows me well, and it would be a great way to learn some tips and new tricks. I want to ask but my mom once again thinks he's weird. Not like creepy pedo weird but like sorta eccentric weird. But I mean all magicians are kinda like that on some level.

Under Over has half the book written for parents. Let me add a couple of thoughts to that (feel free to share with your parents):

Magic has many facets. On its face, magic is a performing art. But it is different than most performing arts because to develop an act, the magician has to be the writer, technical consultant, director and performer. Shows are not a series of tricks performed in sequence, but a script where the words said need to not only align with the effects but enhance the effects. There are very few effects that can be performed "out-of-the-box" -- most effects require personal touches. Some effects requiring finding or building the props. More importantly, all effects need to be learned, practiced and rehearsed. A show is not something that you write, practice and perform. It is more like, write, revise, practice, revise, rehearse, revise, perform and revise. Performing requires a stage presence as well as acting and public speaking abilities. At every stage, you are developing life skills that will help you outside of magic.

As you get deeper into magic, you likely will start accumulating books and knowledge. You will start to understand the history and variations of effects. You will learn how true it is that "everything is in Tarbell" or Modern Magic or Greater Magic. Your present lists will sound like you are trying to acquire a library... and maybe you are. This leads to reading, an understanding of the history of magic, research, critical thinking and development of new ideas and application of old ideas.

Working at the magic shop will develop people skills as well as sleight of hand and performance skills. Nothing like doing the same effect over and over.​

Magic might not result in you earning a fortune in money... you might only end up with a wealth of knowldge and skills.​

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Start with Under/Over which is a free e-book from Vanishing, Inc. written by Joshua Jay. It is directed at younger magicians and their parents, but would be helpful to you.

Rick's advice is really good.

If you are doing the "walk-up" performance, start off with just talking to the people. Actually, just practice talking to people without doing magic. Talk to people in the line at the store. Talk to people while waiting in line anywhere. Open doors for people and when they say thank you, tell them to have a nice day. Say good morning to people.

A great book is Leil Lowndes' How to Talk to Anyone. It is not magic related, but is a good book for real life.

As Rick said, it is excitement and being nervous. Essentially, your body feels it is in a situation where you need to fight or flee. It is really a primal survival instinct which allows you to react quickly when you meet new people just in case they decide to kill you and eat you. What you are feeling is truly nervous energy. If you embrace this energy, it can actually help you in performing because your mental and physical reflexes are primed. To alleviate the shaking, you need feedback from the audience. If I'm right, the shaking usually subsides after you finish the first effect? That is because they like the effect and like you. As a result, your body decided that the spectators actually are not going to kill you and eat you. The way to get rid of the shakes sooner, is to engage the audience. If you talk to the spectators first, your body relaxes. If you say you are working on new effects, your body relaxes because if you screw up, it is ok. If you have a set opening presentation, that helps because you go into your script and that distracts your body from its fear of being eaten because you are focusing on something familiar and safe. As you become more experienced, your body still will get the energy surge, but it will control it because you've done this before and weren't eaten.

For me, I have a set opening for my show that is developed to draw the audience into the show and that gets a reaction in the second line:

When I tell people that I’m really interested in magic and that I’m a magician, everyone always asks me how I became so interested in magic. I think that the question they really want to ask is “why would an grown adult be so interested in magic?” Regardless of the question, the answer is the same. It’s my Uncle Jim’s fault.​

It makes a connection with the audience, and I can go on with the routine because I know they don't want to kill and eat me. As you do this for a while, you will also find that being introduced as "the magician" or introducing yourself as the magician gives you an elevated status -- you must be good because you are "hired" (whether you are being paid or not) as the entertainment.

It all depends on your audience. For kids your age, what you are wearing works. If you are performing for 40-Something adults, move it up a notch. Maybe a Polo Shirt and Khakis or black jeans.

Start by developing a show. Decide what type of show you want to do. Is it close up, walk around, parlor, stage magic or mentalism? Decide who your audience is. Adults, kids, hospital patients, nursing home residents, etc. Build the elements of the show -- your character, your effects and your presentation. I'd be glad to help you with the design of the show. Once you have the show, there will be lots of opportunites to perform it. I agree that you should start doing charity shows to get experience and get your name out there. Don't do "free" shows for people and groups other than charities.

A great book on performance is Ken Webber's Maximum Entertainment. It is amazingly practically and has a lot of useful advice.

Summer camp is a great place to perform formally and informally. I'm actually working with my 14 year old son on routines to perform as a counselor at camp as one-off performances. If there is an opportunity, do a show at camp for all the kids attending the show.

Under Over has half the book written for parents. Let me add a couple of thoughts to that (feel free to share with your parents):

Magic has many facets. On its face, magic is a performing art. But it is different than most performing arts because to develop an act, the magician has to be the writer, technical consultant, director and performer. Shows are not a series of tricks performed in sequence, but a script where the words said need to not only align with the effects but enhance the effects. There are very few effects that can be performed "out-of-the-box" -- most effects require personal touches. Some effects requiring finding or building the props. More importantly, all effects need to be learned, practiced and rehearsed. A show is not something that you write, practice and perform. It is more like, write, revise, practice, revise, rehearse, revise, perform and revise. Performing requires a stage presence as well as acting and public speaking abilities. At every stage, you are developing life skills that will help you outside of magic.

As you get deeper into magic, you likely will start accumulating books and knowledge. You will start to understand the history and variations of effects. You will learn how true it is that "everything is in Tarbell" or Modern Magic or Greater Magic. Your present lists will sound like you are trying to acquire a library... and maybe you are. This leads to reading, an understanding of the history of magic, research, critical thinking and development of new ideas and application of old ideas.

Working at the magic shop will develop people skills as well as sleight of hand and performance skills. Nothing like doing the same effect over and over.​

Magic might not result in you earning a fortune in money... you might only end up with a wealth of knowldge and skills.​
Wow. Thank you so much for your response! I feel bad as I'm going to try to respond to every part of your comment so sorry if I go on.

As for talking to people, I've already started doing this in the past few years and like you said, it's not about magic in most cases. I just always feel like there's room for improvement in all aspects of my life, especially when it comes to being more outgoing. Most of my life I've been shy and introverted. I've been into magic since a very young age but only within the last 3-4 years have I gotten into it more seriously, and it's kinda taken over. I really wish I had started doing magic earlier in middle school because the person I was at that time makes me cringe.

I will check out the books you mentioned by the way. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

As for the shaking, that's what I've heard about it. But oddly enough, it starts after the first trick. I usually have to stop for a moment and stretch or something which is a bit awkward but it works most of the time. I'd still like to alleviate the shaking completely. It could also help with presentations as I shake when I do those as well. What's also weird is it doesn't affect my speech or eye contact. I can still speak normally and my voice doesn't shake. It's just my hands.

As for my attire, since I currently only do sort of a lite version of street magic, I don't really get to dress according to the audience. But once I start doing shows I will dress nicer. My mom actually bought me a top hat, cape, and vest saying I need to look like a magician. I constantly explain that most magicians don't dress like that. They just dress nicely.

This is something I'm very unsure about. I'm really interested in most areas of magic. I like comedy, kids, serious mentalism, stage, parlor, all of it interests me. So its difficult for me to have a set style. I guess once (or if) I start doing shows I'll built the act and style around the audience but I'm not sure if that's the best idea. I think I prefer closeup as it happens closer to the audience's eyes and it seems more real. You don't have these massive flashy props or control over the lighting.

Also, thank you for the offer of helping me to design a show. I really appreciate that! It's cool to hear that your son is into magic as well!

In regards to your final thoughts, I like your statements about magic as a performing art. Everything you said is very accurate.
Also, I've already got a small wealth of magic related books and I'm very interested in the history like past magicians and how centuries old methods and tricks (like the cups and balls) are still used today. In fact, my username is the name of Robert Houdin's most famous automaton, Antonio Diavolo, which was a mechanical trapeze artist if you didn't already know that lol. Although he's kind of the cliche classic magician, I am incredibly interested in the life and work of Houdini, as well as Dai Vernon, Slydini, Houdin, Kellar, etc.

Also, would you say I should try to get a job at the magic shop? Like I said, it would be beneficial to me and the shop is basically only run by the one guy with occasional assistance of his mother.

Thank you for all the advice by the way! Really appreciate it!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
My mom actually bought me a top hat, cape, and vest saying I need to look like a magician.

Well, at least you have a Halloween costume. My style of dress is pretty much what you see in my picture - black sport coat, french blue button down shirt.

This is something I'm very unsure about. I'm really interested in most areas of magic. I like comedy, kids, serious mentalism, stage, parlor, all of it interests me. So its difficult for me to have a set style. I guess once (or if) I start doing shows I'll built the act and style around the audience but I'm not sure if that's the best idea. I think I prefer closeup as it happens closer to the audience's eyes and it seems more real. You don't have these massive flashy props or control over the lighting.

Close-up is actually harder to perform for groups more than 10 people, unless you have a theatre designed for that (like at the Magic Castle or HERE).

For kids or parlor shows, you can fit your whole show in a case or plastic tub, so don't think you need the really big stuff. I can fill a stage using props that fit into a briefcase.

Build the show around what you like and then find the audience.

In fact, my username is the name of Robert Houdin's most famous automaton, Antonio Diavolo, which was a mechanical trapeze artist if you didn't already know that lol.

I did know that. Antonio was restored by Jack Gaughn who also owns The Turk which is a chess playing automaton.

Also, would you say I should try to get a job at the magic shop? Like I said, it would be beneficial to me and the shop is basically only run by the one guy with occasional assistance of his mother.

Go for it.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Well, at least you have a Halloween costume. My style of dress is pretty much what you see in my picture - black sport coat, french blue button down shirt.

Close-up is actually harder to perform for groups more than 10 people, unless you have a theatre designed for that (like at the Magic Castle or HERE).

Build the show around what you like and then find the audience.
Closeup fits better with street magic really. Like you said, you'd need a special stage to perform for more than 10 people.

Also, like I said, this is difficult as I like a lot of areas of magic. I think I have a style but I don't know how to describe it really. It's difficult considering I don't really do shows yet. I don't have a name for myself as a particular type of magician so.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Oh dang, I'm also in high school and have 3 tests tomorrow, so I'm not reading the previous posts due to their length, please forgive me if I repeat.

Here's how I got started in school. My friends and some other kids in our study hall were talking, I was just sitting there. They started talking about magic tricks, and how they can pull off insane ones (as a joke, they had no idea what to do). I get into the conversation a bit, and a few moments later, I say "Would you guys like to see some real magic? I do slight of hand." and my friend says "Oh yeah! Watch him, he is actually good." So I start doing some tricks, and they work. A couple months later, I did a sponge ball routine on the bus to my friend, who said "Hey everybody check this out" and I ended up blowing the minds of a ton of kids on our bus. Basically, don't be shy to just perform. Take your chance, and don't be afraid if they say no. Bring it up in conversation, or cause a chain reaction to bring people over.

Another thing you can do is perform for friends openly. I always perform for friends and lately, I can catch people staring and trying to watch from across the room. These are the people you want to target, the ones who actually want to watch magic. They will come over and watch the magic unfold. Alongside this, know who your audience is. If you find your audience has a guy who just wants to expose you, don't perform for him, or shut him up with a great trick to impress the rest of the audience and silently crush his/her soul (though you don't want to do it directly. I go straight into a clean mind reading routine with the cards).

One last thing: Don't force it. If someone doesn't want to watch, back off. It'll ruin the experience for both of you. This is why I only occasionally bust out tricks in study hall now, as opposed to the mini-shows I would put on daily in the beginning of the year.

Oh and one more last thing (xD); Don't forget the reason you are doing magic: To connect with someone in some way. I never really thought about it until I wrote this, but I am realizing that the reason I ended up getting introduced to a lot of my "new" closest friends, was through magic.

Good luck! Also, sorry for going on about how all of the other responses were super long and then giving you an essay. My B!

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Oh dang, I'm also in high school and have 3 tests tomorrow, so I'm not reading the previous posts due to their length, please forgive me if I repeat.

Here's how I got started in school. My friends and some other kids in our study hall were talking, I was just sitting there. They started talking about magic tricks, and how they can pull off insane ones (as a joke, they had no idea what to do). I get into the conversation a bit, and a few moments later, I say "Would you guys like to see some real magic? I do slight of hand." and my friend says "Oh yeah! Watch him, he is actually good." So I start doing some tricks, and they work. A couple months later, I did a sponge ball routine on the bus to my friend, who said "Hey everybody check this out" and I ended up blowing the minds of a ton of kids on our bus. Basically, don't be shy to just perform. Take your chance, and don't be afraid if they say no. Bring it up in conversation, or cause a chain reaction to bring people over.

Another thing you can do is perform for friends openly. I always perform for friends and lately, I can catch people staring and trying to watch from across the room. These are the people you want to target, the ones who actually want to watch magic. They will come over and watch the magic unfold. Alongside this, know who your audience is. If you find your audience has a guy who just wants to expose you, don't perform for him, or shut him up with a great trick to impress the rest of the audience and silently crush his/her soul (though you don't want to do it directly. I go straight into a clean mind reading routine with the cards).

One last thing: Don't force it. If someone doesn't want to watch, back off. It'll ruin the experience for both of you. This is why I only occasionally bust out tricks in study hall now, as opposed to the mini-shows I would put on daily in the beginning of the year.

Oh and one more last thing (xD); Don't forget the reason you are doing magic: To connect with someone in some way. I never really thought about it until I wrote this, but I am realizing that the reason I ended up getting introduced to a lot of my "new" closest friends, was through magic.

Good luck! Also, sorry for going on about how all of the other responses were super long and then giving you an essay. My B!

I'm surprised at how teenagers react to sponge balls tbh. I always thought of it as more of a trick for children. I had some in my backpack from something else and decided to show my friend and she loved it. I now carry them with me as they take up very little space and people seem to like them.

Also, thanks for your input!

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I'm surprised at how teenagers react to sponge balls tbh. I always thought of it as more of a trick for children. I had some in my backpack from something else and decided to show my friend and she loved it. I now carry them with me as they take up very little space and people seem to like them.

Also, thanks for your input!
Ikr? EVERYONE enjoys the sponge ball trick if done right. I slow it down for teenagers and adults.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Ikr? EVERYONE enjoys the sponge ball trick if done right. I slow it down for teenagers and adults.
Same! I'm surprised at how many people like it. Oddly enough, I don't own any sponge bunnies. I carry them around because it's a great trick for everyone.

I actually showed my AP bio teacher a spongeball routine and made the patter about mitosis and meiosis. lol.

Also, people complain about using red sponge balls for walk around but I like the bright colors. Makes them more visible. People always compare them to clown noses but that doesn't bother me that much.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Same! I'm surprised at how many people like it. Oddly enough, I don't own any sponge bunnies. I carry them around because it's a great trick for everyone.

I actually showed my AP bio teacher a spongeball routine and made the patter about mitosis and meiosis. lol.

Also, people complain about using red sponge balls for walk around but I like the bright colors. Makes them more visible. People always compare them to clown noses but that doesn't bother me that much.
I only have blue ones, but am planning on getting a red or orange for cool color change effects.. I'm planning on "reading my English Teachers mind" tomorrow (because apparently, English is not a class you get stuff done in) :| Wish me luck :)

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
I only have blue ones, but am planning on getting a red or orange for cool color change effects.. I'm planning on "reading my English Teachers mind" tomorrow (because apparently, English is not a class you get stuff done in) :| Wish me luck :)
What trick will you be performing?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey

Purple. Enough said.

I only have blue ones, but am planning on getting a red or orange for cool color change effects.

Let me know if you need any help on the color change. I have a good handling which is essentially a Bobo Switch for sponge balls.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Nov 9, 2016
Southend-On-Sea
I don't have anything to say on the subject that would answer your question, but this thread will greatly help me (and others) in the future.

I'm not confident when being around strangers, and when I've performed for friends, I'm to used to hoping crowds don't form as a result. As someone about to go to university, being around strangers is part and parcel of the entire lifestyle! Although I do have a few opportunities to perform before Uni (a festival, incidentally involving drunk people that will want to become my best friend just like Uni!).

I'll try and check all the material that's been mentioned. I don't want to leave a long response as I'm tired, but wanted to say that the advice given is greatly appreciated.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results