Best Closer For Shows

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Hey all,
I’m looking for a new closer to my parlour show. I have closed with liquid metal for a while which has worked well with a metal bending focus to my show), and I’ve been thinking for a long time that I want something different to end with. I think a prediction would be great (something more than just a card prediction). It would be great to do something similar to Copperfield (and many others) where a locked box is given to a spectator to hold at the start of the show, and at the end is revealed to contain a prediction, or a vanished object, or whatever.
It got me wondering, what do you use to close your show with?
And do you have any suggestions for some really strong effects that I can look into?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Justin

ive heard of a trick where you have someone hold a card for the trick or w/e. then you show them a peice of paper with a bunch of cards on it. then they pick one, then you have someone else pick a card also. both different cards. then the card they have is one of the cards named and i cant remember the ending tho. but its a good closer

personally i perform rubik remembered

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
I've recently started closing with Cardiographic.
It's quite large so I know everyone an see it, and I've found the effect is definitely powerful enough to be a perfectly suitable closer.
Also, I love when the spectator gets to keep something from the trick, it's great because they will almost always show it to friends and talk about after the show.
So for me it's Cardiographic as a closer.

In my opinion, the ending of a show needs to be the flat out, bing bang, last hoorah of the act. Ever notice how metal bands leave the stage in shambles from the workout they just went through? It shows the crowd that they gave it their all to entertain them and, to me, thats what a closer should be.

I close with Matthew Mello's Instinct. Can't think of a better way of showing your devotion to entertaining the crowd than by putting yourself in "Danger".

C

Jan 13, 2008
I close with a three phase prediction, starting small and working my way up. All of the predictions are contained in an envelope that I sent to the place ahead of time (so it is officially dated in some way, i.e. particular stamps and other markings used by the postal service) and that someone who works there has been holding onto the whole time.

Usually the first two predictions are a card and a number (not necessarily in that order), but the last is always a newspaper prediction (between one and three articles, depending on how interesting the news of the day is).

The newspaper prediction always astonishes people. It's classic, but it's awesome (or it's classic because it's awesome...;)). :)

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Incidentally, I feel the need to say that there's no such thing as a "best" closer. You take an effect with closing potential, make it strong, and close with it. That's how you get good closers.

Incidentally, I feel the need to say that there's no such thing as a "best" closer. You take an effect with closing potential, make it strong, and close with it. That's how you get good closers.

True. Also, some effects pretty much are ONLY closers. An act I saw recently had Kevin James do his enormous SnowStorm routine... there is no way someone can go out and perform on the same stage without a ton of cleaning first.

Also take into consideration that your last effect is commonly THE thing you will be remembered for. Do you want that to be mentalism? Geek stunt? Cards? You have to not only think of the amazement factor at the moment, but the thinking and return down the road.

C

Jan 13, 2008
Agreed. Just as there is no "best" opener, or "best" trick (overall). However, there are better tricks for certain situations and certain people, but it's very specific to the situation and the person performing (which in itself contains MANY variables, such as type of magic preference, character, style, goals (what you hope to accomplish, i.e., what type of lasting impression you'd like to make, or what type of feeling you'd like to leave the crowd with (in awe, in amazement, in horror for whatever reason, etc), etc).

In essence, what will be posted in this thread is just what works best for the individual poster. What works best for the OP, as he likely already knows, will entirely depend on him. Of course, that doesn't mean he can't get ideas from what others do (which seems to be the goal, from the assumptions I'm making based on how I read the original post, heh). :)

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca

Ooh I like that! Very philosophical. lol j/k
Yes I agree. And what I'm asking is for ideas for more effects with that "closing potential" as you put it. There are a lot of tricks that I've never seen, so that's in part why I want to hear what people are using.

There's some good choices so far. Keep them coming, I want to hear more! (think of it as your chance to brag about your show!) ;)

Thanks!
Justin

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I've recently started closing with Cardiographic.
It's quite large so I know everyone an see it, and I've found the effect is definitely powerful enough to be a perfectly suitable closer.
Also, I love when the spectator gets to keep something from the trick, it's great because they will almost always show it to friends and talk about after the show.
So for me it's Cardiographic as a closer.

Is this the effect? Very nice.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/467966/david_copperfield_cardiographic/
Would this look good not on stage, but from a few feet away?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
Yep, that's the main idea. I use a smaller drawing pad, a sketchbook only a bit bigger than a normal piece of paper though. If everything is setup up perfectly then cardiographic can look very good from only a few feet away, yes. I've done one time actually for only 5 people. Angles are quite good too, nearly perfect.

Stage Closeres

I like the Copperfield approach of building up the audience by telling them about ur big finale/showstopper all through out the show, & just when they think the show is over after ur showstopper, u surprise them with an encore/lasting impression. Cant think of a better way of showing them that u gave your all, as u show that ur willing to do MORE, even after u get a standing ovation from ur showstopper. Great stage showstoppers would have to be an escape, or a huge prediction. & than 4 an encore, I dont think ANYTHING could beat vanishing urself & reappearing in the audience, as I myself have come up with an impromptu way of doing so, no props, pre-ets, gimmicks, nothing. Just me & a bare stage, cant wait to try it soon. For outdoor shows, consider closing with fire breathing, as Clearwater street performer Dallas The Fire Guy does it every night & makes a killing. Just a small torch & ur fire breathing liquid which can pack small, & play big. But 4 stages that would let me use fire, I OPEN with fire breathing. & those r my thaughts.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results