Best place to learn culling?

Jan 31, 2018
I'm a beginner to culling, and my culling need massive improvement. The problem is that I don't know the mechanism of the move. Where can I learn this move?
I've been hearing about the Roadrunner cull, but is that too advanced for me? Anyway it's way too pricey for me right now... So what are my options?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
My recommendation is the Roadrunner Cull. The only difference between "too advanced" and "perfectly fine" is how much you're willing to work on it. Kostya breaks it down very well.

There's another DVD called the Cullfather by Iain Moran. It's good, but Kostya's the god of culling.

The original "cull" is from Hofsinzer, which I think is published in Hofsinzer's Card Conjuring. Not being intimately familiar with the various printings, I'd advise the Karl Fulves' translation, if you don't read German for the original Ottokar Fischer.

You can also check the resources here:
http://www.geniimagazine.com/magicpedia/Hofzinser_Spread_Cull

Jan 31, 2018
The only difference between "too advanced" and "perfectly fine" is how much you're willing to work on it. Kostya breaks it down very well.
So you're saying that a total beginner could get it and learn culling if he puts his mind and time to it?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
So you're saying that a total beginner could get it and learn culling if he puts his mind and time to it?

Yes.

It might take longer than someone who's experienced with sleight of hand, but it's just a matter of doing it. Culling is mechanically fairly simple. The part you have to really practice is getting it smooth and not hesitating. Kostya's work covers that very well.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
I use David's Cull by David Gonzalez. Sure you can learn culling and it's probably my favorite thing to do, but I wouldn't learn it first to the exclusion of other things. What do you want to do with it? The spread cull in Card College 1 (and other places) is easier than Roadrunner and David's Cull but they are good for different purposes. Much has to do with how many cards you want to cull. Just a few or a couple dozen? Let us know what you want to do with it and we can give you better advice. But yes, you can learn culling. You should learn culling, but you should learn your top change and pinky count too.

Reactions: Karo-K54
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results