Book test resources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2009
I'm looking for recommendations for resources on the book test. I have an idea that I need to flesh out, but I don't know enough about book test methods to make it work. Can you guys recommend anything?

I would need to start working with book test where the spectator could open to a page without any flipping or "riffling." Also, I'd like something that talks about book tests without gimmicks, and without resorting to number/card forces. I've seen the book test in This is Mentalism, and I've looked at Corindia's work on the subject. Nothing that I can remember from those two sources would work with my idea.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Firstly is there a reason you are opposed to riffling the pages because in all my years I still believe it is one of the cleanest methods for selecting a random page.

Before I go into to detail with methods and places to look what is the effect you wish to perform (from the audiences view).

Feb 4, 2008
You are putting a lot of limits on yourself. Generally, if the spec can freely handle the book you are looking at a gimmicked book test and if you want to do an impromptu style book test (Chan Canasta style) you need to handle the book to some extent. Peter Turner just released a book test that fits all your criteria. Only problem, it was in a limited release book that is already "pre-sold-out." I don't know if he will ever add it to one of his mass marketed books? Also look up Ted Karmilovich's Bookless Book test.

Nov 27, 2009
D ICE R, I am opposed to riffling the pages because with my idea it would be physically impossible. I'll PM you with more specific details. I have left this vague because I'm working on something that I believe has truly never been done before and I don't want my idea stolen.

Eostresh, I'll look up the bookless book test. Sounds like it may work with what I want to do. The limits are somewhat necessary because, while it's a book test, it's not anywhere close to traditional. It's actually closer to Fate and Playback, and that's all I'll say about it here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Your first sources should already have been Corinda and Annemann most of their material deals with UNGIMMICKED books (which you really should try leaning on more than you do gimmicked books. I've only just now placed an order for the second gaffed book test system I've ever owned or thought of using and that's after twenty some years in Mentalism + a number of years straddling the fence before crossing over to the dark side).

I do an annual book drive program in which admission to the show are two or more donated books and most everything I do involves those books that get donated or, if I'm at a library or book store I'll use what's on the shelf. It's not all that difficult to do and too, as many have said already, you're really making things hard on yourself by wanting to develop a "perfect" BT. . . the MoABT being about the closest you're going to get to that to my knowledge. . . I however, use the INSIGHT BT most of the time in that it gives me plenty of time for a routine and tons of revelations.

You should look into the "Silver Bullet" by Lee Earle which is great for working with a clean, borrowed book. Another excellent bit is Final Flash Back by Larry Becker & Lee Earle which is totally awesome in my opinion but I'm biased; my buddy Jon Stetson closes his show with it and slays the audience dead with it.

If You Have An Idea for a routine I'd highly encourage you to PM those of us that actually have or are working regularly as Mentalists; be honest about your idea in that 99.99% of us aren't going to take your idea and run with it and too, it's the best way of getting the more concise level of assistance it sounds like you need. Researching methods can get extremely expensive FAST; some BTs retail for way over $1,000.00, so as I said previously, you might want to look at the Mentalism 101 texts first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results