Books for Magicians - No Tricks

Nov 30, 2007
The Real Secrets of Magic Close Up (or Close Up the Real Secrets of Magic...not sure which) by David Stone is great. Buy the book not the DVDs. The book is all about performance while the DVDs are the tricks.

The Real Secrets of Magic Close Up (or Close Up the Real Secrets of Magic...not sure which) by David Stone is great. Buy the book not the DVDs. The book is all about performance while the DVDs are the tricks.

I will have to look into that, I have heard that the book is great many of times. I am still reading Maximum Entertainment when I am not busy, and oh boy it is such a good book!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I am halfway through Strong Magic by Ortiz and it is incredible. Totally makes you rethink your magic and take it to the next level. I will soon be ordering Maximum Entertainment and then Beyond Deception.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Since this topic got bumped, I thought of another book. There have been quite a number of suggestions that are magic-related - Strong, ME, 5 Points, etc., which are all fantastic, but I wanted to add something absolutely non-magically related at all:

The Empty Space, by Peter Brook.

Absolutely brilliant. Based on a series of lectures some decades ago (1968 if memory serves) about the state of theatre, its aims, pitfalls, and potential. It's a real eye-opener about bad theatre, and hence, bad magic, as well as the wonderful things magic can achieve. It also has many lessons that can be applied to performing magic and the general creative process.

A warning: The book is written in sophisticated English. If you read this, make sure you've gotten a lot of sleep the night before, and you're ready to read, re-read, and think. Probably not for those completely unaccustomed to theatre either - theatrical knowledge is ideal - Stanislavski, Artaud, Grotowski, Brecht - the main guys - etc.

Despite this, this is one of those books, that everyone should read, but that magicians, actors, and anyone who has anything to do with performance must read.

Dec 14, 2007
Philosophy in a New Key by Suzanne Langer. It will help you clarify your thoughts about what art "is" and "is made of" and help you more clearly see how to go about making it.

(Great call on the Empty Space, Praetoritevong. I received that book from Christian Chelman at on of the Mystery Schools. The book I gave that year was the one mentioned above. Have you read any of the Mamet books?)

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Brad - I've read many of his plays - Prairie du Chien, Glengarry Glen Ross and Edmond being my favourites. However I don't think I've read anything of his besides plays. Is there any particular thing you have in mind?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results