Bringing People to Jesus through Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
We should let this thread die. I feel that talking about religion here is out of place, due to differing views and how offensive others may appear to be. Religion is a very touchy subject for many of people, I wish this weren't the case as I personally will chat about it; but that's the world we live in.

Sep 30, 2008
I'm a Christian, but as of now (I'm 14) I don't really do the "gospel magic". However, I plan on doing some of this later on in my life......

With all due respect, a post that tates "I use magic to teach people about x belief" is boarderline asking for a firey debate, but a practical novelization of your personal theological beliefs is just begging for a fight.

Two topics never fair well in mixed company. Religion and Politics.

I myself remain neutral on the matter. I'm a born again athiest. Swear to god. But I know from personal experience these topics just don't do well.

Is there a mod here that could kindly lock and delete this thread?

...And Ellusionist. Hehe.

I'd no idea bringing this thread up again would cause this much controversy. There really isn't a need for the drama-- if people are getting offended by what it has to share, they're reading way too much into the topic and missing its original point. But so be it. If it needs to stop, it needs to stop. I apologize for stepping on toes. Honestly didn't mean to.

RS.

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
With all due respect, a post that tates "I use magic to teach people about x belief" is boarderline asking for a firey debate, but a practical novelization of your personal theological beliefs is just begging for a fight.

I myself remain neutral on the matter. I'm a born again athiest. Swear to god. But I know from personal experience these topics just don't do well.

Is there a mod here that could kindly lock and delete this thread?

Agreed. If this is something you want to discuss, you'd be better off discussing it among close friends and family. Even then you run the risk of upsetting someone.

Mar 29, 2008
Personally, I believe that religious concepts should be kept out of magic discussion. It is a personal thing.

I don't go to religious sites and talk about magic! haha

Seriously though, things like politics have been discussed here, so I am not surprised to see religion, but it wasn't about magic and politics...as I am not sure how enjoyable a magic trick would be about politics...nor do I feel that it enhances magic...or the political opinion.

I love when people use magic to hide behind - it's like people that do comedy over magic...not comedy with magic. If you can't make a point on your own, or be funny on your own, don't hide behind magic...or hurt magic...trying to convey your watered down message.

I once saw a guy use the topic of religion during a meeting to present a parlour effect...nobody said anything...it just made people feel uncomfortable...you could SEE them squirm in their seats...and look at each other like, "IS THIS GUY REALLY PRESENTING THE WORD OF GOD IN A CARD TRICK" - I found it tasteless and imposing...and I am Christian.

On a related note: I have had interesting experiences with religious individuals - like, them not wanting to see a trick because they think what I do is against God or "black" magic. I always find it interesting how people that are supposed to be so open minded, can be so close minded in watching entertainment...or that they believe it's "real"...makes me wonder what else they would easily believe...and if you have read Darren Brown's understanding of religion and why he left the church..even MORE interesting.

I am not sure what my point is - so I will make one. As much as I have my own beliefs in the world...I would hate to make magic part of that...as much as I would hate if I was watching a cooking show...and he started talking about God. When I want to discuss God, I will discuss him...and when I want to talk magic...I will discuss that. Why must we cross them?

If this is acceptable...I would love to talk to everyone here about an investment opportunity...which should be fine...as long as I get you to pick a card while I do it! :)

DELETE THIS THREAD!

Apr 27, 2008
I have performed for several different pastors and to many different religious leaders and I love it when someone says magic is for the devil or something like that and either refuse to watch it or say they wish they never saw it.

Now maybe my magic is that horrible :D, but then again people like this make me realize how ignorant they are to what is reality and what their religion teaches. When they preach that religion is keeping up and advancing with today's reality's w/e they may be, and then turns around and says magic is evil because it says so in a book that is relating to withcraft and worship to other entities then I wonder.

I will say two other things to whomever reads this, I am agnostic and don't agree with really anything religions say and that anybody who looks at our magic as something wrong then they are truly and idiot and have no clue what they are talking about. My opinion and I like it.

I agree this thread should probably be closed. It's run its course. I had no idea it would bring this much negativity and I apologize for reviving it in the first place. If I knew doing so would bring so much flak, I would have thought otherwise.

It is unfortunate certain people automatically associate religion with personal judgement. It really shouldn't be the case. It's almost sad-- I imagine otherwise most people would try to be as open-minded and tolerant as possible, but once God comes into coversation, anything and everything becomes too taboo to discuss.

Before this thread does potentially get shut down, I'd like to extend a private invite to anyone willing to talk about magic and religion. I do think on some level the two worlds compliment one another, and I'd like to have a civil coversation about it without all the trivial drama present in this thread. So anyone-- feel free to get at me. I'd like to talk shop.

RS.

Nov 28, 2008
God is a miracle maker and we are playing with toys - tricks. Toys are small things. As much as they entertain, they also show bigger and real things in life. Tricks are copies of real miracles that happen in this world. Ponder the illusion of rainbows. Just thoughts - he.he..

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
The only reason it needs to be closed because of biased posters like you, Sirtaco, who cannot avoid generalisations or associate with intelligence. I'm shocked at how little tolerance there is for opinions people don't agree with, or the expression thereof, even out of context in a magic forum, without some sort of disparaging or snide remark. At least FOO:L requested it without a hint of prejudice on his part, as did FadedTemp - though I may not agree entirely, they at least acted responsibly.

Sirtaco

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2008
www.tacospokerknights.com
The only reason it needs to be closed because of biased posters like you, Sirtaco, who cannot avoid generalisations or associate with intelligence. I'm shocked at how little tolerance there is for opinions people don't agree with, or the expression thereof, even out of context in a magic forum, without some sort of disparaging or snide remark. At least FOO:L requested it without a hint of prejudice on his part, as did FadedTemp - though I may not agree entirely, they at least acted responsibly.

This thread is about religion and this Theory11 is about magic. Period! Thats way this should be closed.

devil.jpg

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia

I consider those criteria above at least a partial measure of civility.

Jul 13, 2008
OK, everyone is talking about Christianity as a religion. . . it's not. It's a personal relationship with God. And some people are saying that we should just except everybody's beliefs. How can that be possible? Beliefs can be the complete opposite of each other . . . how can you believe two opposing beliefs? Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results