C.f.b.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
History:
To my knowledge, I am the original creator of this little gem. All research I have done has only strengthened this belief. If, after reading the effect, someone has proof otherwise, please PM me the information you have.

Published history:
[ 2008 ] "Journal One" by Ben Den Hartog (available soon)

Unpublished history:
[ 2000 ] Ben Den Hartog, first concept

===

INFORMATION ABOUT CFB AND CLUTCH

20080708: I contacted Oz Pearlman via his cell phone and left a voicemail. I stated my name, and that I was hoping he and I could discuss the effect and handling with Clutch. I also mentioned that I'd like to talk about the history and resources with him. I left my cell phone number for him as a way to contact me back.

20080708: Oz called me back; we talked about the effect and the history behind it- our different methods and handling. He's not claiming ownership of the methodology (of course), and has no problem with me selling the trick in the future.

===

Effect:
I'll write the effects down in bullets, so it's rather easy to follow.

• A card is freely chosen by the spectator.
  • The spectator inserts the card into the deck, and is then allowed to shuffle it.
  • The performer takes the deck back from the spectator. He/she shows several cards from the top and the bottom, ensuring that the spectator's card is in the middle.
  • The performer places the entire deck inside the card case.
  • The case is examined by the spectator, and then handed back to the magician.
  • The performer causes the spectators card to visually 'pop' out of the closed card case!*

*The deck is held with the "face" and "back" parallel to the ground. The card seemingly jumps right out of the case into the performer's right/left hand, above the case.

Highlights:
- No gimmicks, no duplicates.
- Completely impromptu; no set-up required.
- Can be performed while surrounded, this sleight involved is angle-proof.
- No suspicious movements, even the most determined heckler won't see anything.

===

Video Trailer:

- Theory 11
- Youtube
- Vimeo

Last edited by a moderator:
May 7, 2008
Is it possible for the spec to put the cards back in the box? Sounds like a lot of switching around but definitely a powerful effect!

Seems like a variation on an old move, sometimes used in the Ambitious Card. Hand is held above the deck and it "pops" right "up" to the hand. If this looks as I think it does, its just that old idea with a new, albeit it good, premise.

well, I must say, it sounds defiantly like 'the perfect trick' (seeing as its 'angle proof, surrounded, and no sneaky moves') but if that is the case... what is there to be practiced... no sneaky moves?? does that mean there are no slights involved? (i.e. a self-working trick. I know there are plenty of those). (this is by no means is saying its not possible but merrily my thoughts). I would advise you to put up a video, and give some sort of preview with that, instead of describing it through text. it defiantly sounds like a great trick but I think filming it, then showing us would be better. ;)

Marc

Sep 1, 2007
From the information provided, it just sounds like the pop up move that's often used in an ACR, just with the added case. If this is so, then I'm sorry to say, there isn't anything here original enough that should be publish. Just from reading, I already know how I could accomplish this with very little and basic sleight of hand.

Now there is nothing that mentions a fold, so that's what still leaves me a bit curious, unless there is a move executed that maybe resembles the top shot. Which I think would work pretty well. I may try it :)

-Dave-

bd

Jun 26, 2008
Is it possible for the spec to put the cards back in the box? Sounds like a lot of switching around but definitely a powerful effect!

Yes. The spectator can place the cards inside the card case.

Seems like a variation on an old move, sometimes used in the Ambitious Card. Hand is held above the deck and it "pops" right "up" to the hand. If this looks as I think it does, its just that old idea with a new, albeit it good, premise.

This is nothing like Braue's popup. (This also addresses Dave Wiltrout's post)

What does C.f.b stand for, anyways? Card Froo Box?

C.F.B. stands for "Card From Box". I was feeling rather uncreative when coming up with the name :)

well, I must say, it sounds defiantly like 'the perfect trick' (seeing as its 'angle proof, surrounded, and no sneaky moves') but if that is the case... what is there to be practiced... no sneaky moves?? does that mean there are no slights involved? (i.e. a self-working trick. I know there are plenty of those). (this is by no means is saying its not possible but merrily my thoughts). I would advise you to put up a video, and give some sort of preview with that, instead of describing it through text. it defiantly sounds like a great trick but I think filming it, then showing us would be better. ;)

Marc

By using the term no sneaky moves, I mean that:
- The deck is not covered for any lengthy period of time.
- None of the sleights involved look suspicious, even to someone who's watching your every move.

Of course, like anything, practice is a necessary evil; the final sleight probably requires the most.

Sounds very interesting. I know the following question is cliched, especially in magic circles, but can the card be signed?

Let us know,
TDA

Yes. The card can be signed on the face.

Hmm... sounds just like Outcased by Peter Eggnik :( umm i guess impromptu is cool though?

After watching Peter Eggnik perform his trick, Outcased (via Youtube), I would have to say that CFB is nothing like it.

1) The case is not shaken.
2) In CFB, the card jumps to the performer's hand.
3) CFB, as stated before, does not use a gimmick and is completely and utterly impromptu.

==============================

I'll be making a video with live performances and reactions soon; and by soon I mean within the week.

Again, the effect is nothing like that of Braue's popup move, commonly used in Ambitious Card Routines.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't speaking of the Braue Pop-Up Move. I am speaking of a very old use where a card jumps out of the deck to the performers hand which is above it. Easily done with the cards in the box.

Understand, I am not trying to pick your effect to death, I am simply trying to help, if it was published before... you need to know.

Sharp

bd

Jun 26, 2008
I wasn't speaking of the Braue Pop-Up Move. I am speaking of a very old use where a card jumps out of the deck to the performers hand which is above it. Easily done with the cards in the box.

Understand, I am not trying to pick your effect to death, I am simply trying to help, if it was published before... you need to know.

Sharp

I'd be interested in seeing/reading a description of this effect. Just an FYI, in C.F.B., the spectator's card REALLY DOES go into the case. It's not palmed.

Something similar to this, without the shake?

0:13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCKYDRVbDh4

(Sankey's Extremely Ambitious Preview)

No. Nothing like that. As mentioned above, it's not palmed and is actually placed inside the card case.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
i would be hesitant to call this an original idea. certainly your handling of the effect may be original to you, but i know a few people (myself included) who have been popping selections out from the box, in both flashy, visual ways, and subtle, secretive ways. i used to do a trick of this type alot, but eventually stopped. i didn't like the performance dynamic of it. a video would be nice, so we can all see what it is, rather than blindly fondling the elephant, so to speak.

C!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results