Card magic.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
Alright, you asked for constructive criticism so I'll give some:D

SD switch: Good idea, and I do like it. However, it seems a bit fast, causing a lot of attention to go to your hands, and seems like a "move" happened. But good idea none the less. Not sure there would be a ton of uses for it though.

Cake: Nah. This doesn't look good at all. No offense meant, but it was just not good looking at all. Somewhat obvious (even to a specs point of view).

TOP change: Sorry, but I didn't care for the looks of this either. I would rather just learn the classic pass for that. More natural looking. Your "TOP change" just didn't look good, to many jerky motions, finger movement, and overall looks just plain fishy.

Anyway, love the creativity! Keep that up and someday you might just run across something great.

EDIT: I thought you "left".

May 3, 2008
As for the SD switch, you don't need patter in order to demonstrate one move. Alone, the move made a pretty poor effect. Also, you make it seem like something magical is happening when you close the spread when it should look casual. It becomes a dead giveaway when you're doing something there. It needs some work so it doesn't look so suspicious.

As for CAKE, it was okay, but the movements seemed really suspicious. Also, the patter was just strange. "If I could do magic with these would you be impressed? Probably not, but I'll do it anyway." this is practically telling the spectator not to be impressed. And saying I'll do it anyway is just a bit annoying. The effect was okay but everything looked suspicious. It needs work.

As for TOP Change, it's not actually a top change at all. The name is misleading. I'm not sure if TOP stands for something though. And I'm not quite sure if you're claiming to have created this, but I assure you it's in no way original. You're classic pass needs a bit of work and needs to be sped up. And I'd recommend you do something to cover up the actual magic moment a bit like shaking the cards or something because it's too easy to see what's happening. And please please keep in mind that a classic pass is SOOO much easier to do to a camera or mirror than to a spectator so please don't feel as though it's ready to perform.

Sorry if that was a bit harsh but you did ask for constructive criticism. I hope I helped.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
I agree with the above two.

For your 'CAKE' performance, you flashed at the end, thus giving away that there's another, hidden card amongst the "only" 4 cards.

Also, for your 'TOP CHANGE' when you spread to the 7, you flash, and from I made out it was the 10 of Diamons, the exact card under the 7 when you changed the King into the 7. You also posted in the description box, "Not what you think", is this done to try and convince us it's not the right, and correct way you executed the 'change'?

Oct 29, 2009
Just around

Also, for your 'TOP CHANGE' when you spread to the 7, you flash, and from I made out it was the 10 of Diamons, the exact card under the 7 when you changed the King into the 7. You also posted in the description box, "Not what you think", is this done to try and convince us it's not the right, and correct way you executed the 'change'?
I too was wondering that, as I also saw what looked like the ten under the 7. But maybe I'm wrong.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
@Scarecrow1: Thanks for the advice, I'll work on everything you've mentioned.

@penguincdude: The patter, to me, strengthens the effect. I wanted to demonstrate the move alone, although there are plenty of uses for it in an effect, and it works better that way.
The CAKE patter is a bit unusual, but it fit for demonstration purposes.
And TOP does stand for something. It's NOT a classic pass at all.

@Jv: CAKE is different from anything I've done. I did flash at the end, but there's more to it.
Also, there's a secret as to why I said that.

Ian

Mar 27, 2010
I did not like cake at all. Looks suspicius from the beggining and i would try to have a deck in the other hand to at least try to end up clean.

Jan 28, 2010
Romania
:O :O for the last month, I've been working on something which uses the exact same mechanics as the sd switch. it's a little more different tho, looks like merely outjogging the card, but yea whatever :D great job!

Jul 13, 2008
You said that you would stop posting videos and practice like crazy. You said you would take our advice. Obviously, you didn't. So I guess I'll start by being positive. It's great that you're creating tricks and ideas and sleights. That will lead to greater things down the road. BUT. You need to stop posting these videos, because what's happening is that in each video you flash or you're not smooth enough so everything looks suspicious. What you need to do is lay off the video posting for a year or two. Work on everything that you came up with. Get better at card handling. Then post videos. That will allow us to see how you've grown as a magician. But don't post videos in which you aren't smooth enough or you flash. I'm trying to be nice. Take my advice bro.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
@magicmaster: I have been practicing. I didn't know posting three videos would be the most harmful thing in the world. I want feedback on how I'm doing, and the direction in which I need to go. So for the comments everyone has made, I do thank you. I hope that I can progress further based on insightful advice from other magicians.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ian

Jul 13, 2008
Well, bro, keep creating, keep practicing, but kinda hold back on the vids for a while, ok? :) I'm saying this so people don't see how you're doing your tricks.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
On "Cake":
There's a problem with most packet tricks that I call "over counting". The audience can plainly see four cards. There's no need to count: "one, two, three, and four".
Also, the way you spread the cards is really unnatural. I highly doubt if you were really only holding 4 cards, you would spread them like that.

Just practice. You'll get it.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
Also do not forget to check the history on any such moves that may have been published before. 95% of the stuff we THINK we create and call it original has been done many times before. It is when we find something in that 5% that gives us a true gem. But again, that is also after extensive research to ensure originality.

Because in all honesty, neither Cake nor TOP Change are at all original. I could point you to the direct sources for each, but that would take away from the fun of researching magic, right?

Mike

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results