Change by d+M - Answer?

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
Sometimes I really wonder if people stop down and read a thread...

Hey, did you get that PM I sent you?

I think if you shared that video it might help a bunch of us out.

The first Change video is suspected to be edited because of the glitch of his head, and the second video uses a Blink Card, or some similar, possibly custom made gimmick. If he did in fact perform the effect for you in that live chat, then it could possibly be the only actual video of the change being performed for real. The screenshot is nice, because now we know it exists, but seeing the video would be so much better.

lol, I love the batman shirt btw. Haha, DM is great. :)

Jan 28, 2009
I once again reitterate. Why do you care? Its a seemingly impossible color change that can be added to a long list. He apparently has devised a way of changing a card with no visible finger movement and ending clean, and for some unkown reason can only perform it on camera, be it web cam or otherwise.

Really its a color change people. Spectators always gasp at a colour change, but it's just a flourish. Rather than worrying about this, you should probably go out and perform some actual magic to people. Lol.

Aug 31, 2007
I once again reitterate. Why do you care? Its a seemingly impossible color change that can be added to a long list. He apparently has devised a way of changing a card with no visible finger movement and ending clean, and for some unkown reason can only perform it on camera, be it web cam or otherwise.

Really its a color change people. Spectators always gasp at a colour change, but it's just a flourish. Rather than worrying about this, you should probably go out and perform some actual magic to people. Lol.

I find it completely ridiculous that you would assume that we don't perform magic, based on several comments in a thread, about a change that we all love. I perform magic professionally each week, and I'm sure several others in here do as well.

If you're not interested in the change, I'd recommend that you'd go to another thread, as this one is about Change.

Jan 28, 2009
I find it completely ridiculous that you would assume that we don't perform magic, based on several comments in a thread, about a change that we all love. I perform magic professionally each week, and I'm sure several others in here do as well.

If you're not interested in the change, I'd recommend that you'd go to another thread, as this one is about Change.

Hit a nerve did I?

To perform magic professionally means you have to do it as a job. A paid performance a week a professional does not make. A professional musician for example doesn't play a gig a week, they live off their performance money. If you live solely off of performing magic then good for you, but that is -not- true of the average poster here and you well know that.

Anyways I digress, I didn't assume that people didn't perform magic, I didn't even say that. I merely pointed out that this is wasted time speculating about something that if real, is just another color change, wasted time that could be spent doing some actual magic, rather than speculating about something that is most probably fiction and if real in the annuls of history will be remembered as just something you can produce a card with. If you consider that valuable use of your time and that it sets the correct tone for a forum, then good for you. I disagree.

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
This thread has nothing to do with whether or not we perform magic professionally, or what your defiinition of a professional is. It's almost like you're trying to say we don't have the right to discuss this unless we fulfil some sort of requirement that you invented in your head.

I perform magic all the time. I am a full time college student, and I do other work as well. But since I don't make a living off of performing magic, are you trying to say that I can't participate in this thread?

I care because it is interesting, this has nothing to do with egos or full time jobs. Sure, you might find it to be a waste of time, but we don't. The truth of the matter is, is that some people think it's real, and some people (including yourself) think it's fake. Sure, I can see why you have that "Who cares!" perspective, but not all of us want to look at it that way.

I highly doubt this will be considered to be another color change if it is either officially confirmed or released. Change is completely unique in it's design. No cover, clean ending, instant change, no gimmicks (as claimed), and it's completely out in the open. If magic was real, it would look like that. There are only a few changes that could possibly look that good. The few that even come close to that description are the Ego Change, Shapeshifter, the Winter Change, the Snap Change, and only a few others. Change however, is even a step above all of those, if it is real.

Anyways, I can see this turning into a flame war. Let's be more civil than that. If you are annoyed by these Change threads, then just ignore them. There is no need to ruin the thread for the people who are actually wanting to discuss this.

Aug 31, 2007
This thread has nothing to do with whether or not we perform magic professionally, or what your defiinition of a professional is. It's almost like you're trying to say we don't have the right to discuss this unless we fulfil some sort of requirement that you invented in your head.

I perform magic all the time. I am a full time college student, and I do other work as well. But since I don't make a living off of performing magic, are you trying to say that I can't participate in this thread?

I care because it is interesting, this has nothing to do with egos or full time jobs. Sure, you might find it to be a waste of time, but we don't. The truth of the matter is, is that some people think it's real, and some people (including yourself) think it's fake. Sure, I can see why you have that "Who cares!" perspective, but not all of us want to look at it that way.

I highly doubt this will be considered to be another color change if it is either officially confirmed or released. Change is completely unique in it's design. No cover, clean ending, instant change, no gimmicks (as claimed), and it's completely out in the open. If magic was real, it would look like that. There are only a few changes that could possibly look that good. The few that even come close to that description are the Ego Change, Shapeshifter, the Winter Change, the Snap Change, and only a few others. Change however, is even a step above all of those, if it is real.

Anyways, I can see this turning into a flame war. Let's be more civil than that. If you are annoyed by these Change threads, then just ignore them. There is no need to ruin the thread for the people who are actually wanting to discuss this.

Well said good sir!

Jan 28, 2009

I never -said- that anyone needed to be a professional to post an opinion on a change. Where did you get that from?

I merely gave the dictionary definition of a Professional. It's impossible by definition to be a professional that performs once a week unless you live off that full time.

What's the matter with you 2? Don't see someone say something in writing so you just think you'll insert your words into their mouth and then argue with yourself?

That was entirely in response to what the other guy said saying how he was a 'professional.' (Oh wait....didn't I just do the same thing?)

I never even said that no one here performs magic ever, which is once again, what the other guy said I said, then proceeded to rebut himself, but using my name for some reason. You want to keep missing the point and posting long self justifying rants, go right ahead, but your not arguing with me, because I didn't say any of the things you based your rant on.

I merely pointed out that everything you've just described is what makes change so dubious. An ungimmicked, moveless change involving 2 cards (D+M's words) that ends completely clean, involving 1 hand. I'm sorry, its BS. Lol. As a result a massive circle jerk once a week over the amazing 'what if' is just ridiculous. It's like, "what if I could make a pencil just disappear in my hand, with no moves, no cover, nothing and could only do it on camera." Sure that would be cool, but it doesn't make a massive discussion about it worth any time at all.

I merely voiced my opinion that its sad that nothing gets magicians more excited than a color change, which is such a ridiculously small part of any routine, no matter what the change that it doesn't warrant such attention.

All you're doing is letting someone namely D+M work you. If he could do the change he'd be doing it regularly in all settings, without revealing the method, and not just on camera. This is just an example of a thought experiment on the magic community. It only worked because its D+M that's done it, and I believe that's his point. Its his performance and his behaviour that made Change seem possible despite being completely impossible. Thus emphasizing the importance of performance above any single effect. That's why D+M rocks, but that's why discussing the -move- in my view is a waste of time and reflects the skewed priorities of the modern magic community.

And I'll post that view in any thread I want to.

Aug 31, 2007

I would like to make a note of your post. This is what agitated me. If you were meaning was to say, "Rather than talking about a color change, I feel that you should go out and perform." I totally get it, but it came across as if you were trying to say that we didn't perform magic already. This is why you received my response.
Also, large amounts of the magicians in this forum preform professionally. You can ask them and I can tell you that at least 80% will tell you that they preform professionally.

I completely respect your view and also wanted to voice my own opinion about your view. I once again advise though, if you are coming into this thread to tell us to not talk about Change or to tell us that we are wasting our time, that is a completely different subject and would probably be better in a Cerca Trova forum. This forum is about discussing Change. I am quite glad you voiced your opinion though, as it allowed us to have a good, clean, and educational debate.

Sincerely,
Tyler Chase

Jan 19, 2008
I would like to come in and say I have seen this performed live by one of the theory11 members.

I know the method.

I want to answer the big question on the method, but im not allowed to. There are no gimmicks, but in a way it is. I wish i could say more.

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
I didn't mean to put words in your mouth. I re-read what you said, and most of my last post was still valid.

After reading the rest of your post, I tend to agree with your perspective. I AGREE, it is ridiculously impossible. I too am bothered by this "what if" addition people seem to keep adding to it, even though I am completely guilty of it. I can't help it, I am simply intruiged.

I think where we part ways is when you say that having a discussion about it is worthless. I think a lot can come from it. tman says he has a video of it. I think that's worth the time to check out and investigate.

Well at least we can agree on one thing, Daniel definitely rocks. The fact that we are talking about the possibility of this by-definition-impossible-change says something about him. It's like he created his own theological war. I am facinated by people's reactions to all of this, it's a simulation depicting and generating skepticism, rationality, belief, mistrust, deception, faith, and so much more. It's forcing me to question why I got into magic and what it means to even be human. Maybe I'm just taking massive leaps here, but I think he had a different, more poetic purpose for Change.

I can't quite find the words to describe what Change is, I'm not sure anyone can. I'm pretty confident that it's more than just a color change. It's like a rough symbol of his philosophy.

I hate to cheapen it with one of these kinds of comments, but it could very well just be a marketing technique too. Most of the skeptics seem to think so.

Anyways...

Mar 15, 2009
orlando F.l
change by d+m

i think the change looks great but i dont think is done live.. whos know i think is not practical... just by looking at it.. not saying that the trick is bad cause it looks crazy and i have to give credits to D+m..:p

Jan 28, 2009
I would like to come in and say I have seen this performed live by one of the theory11 members.

I know the method.

I want to answer the big question on the method, but im not allowed to. There are no gimmicks, but in a way it is. I wish i could say more.

Tman, krazytim, seems we're on the same page, so I apologize if what I said was ambiguous, but you both seem to have got my point. From my point of view, Change is a piece of performance art by D+M, rather than an actual color change, and my intent was only to steer the discussion onto that point, because its a good point about how important performance is set against the individual move. (If anyone else produced a video with that change on it.....no one would still be talking about it, lol.)

that having been said, Stoneface......where and by which Theory11 Artist?

If you answer that, then I can believe it because said artist can come here and refute it if it is b/s.

Jan 13, 2008
that having been said, Stoneface......where and by which Theory11 Artist?

If you answer that, then I can believe it because said artist can come here and refute it if it is b/s.
Just noting, he said it was a T11 member, not an artist. :)

stoneface said:

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
He doesn't. lol :p

I think that a lot of people makes those kinds of comments. Those are the believers. Nothing wrong with that, but it does help when they provide some sort of evidence or something to point to.

He might be talking about submissions to the Change challenge, who knows?

So tman (Tyler), is there any chance of us being able to check out that video? At the moment, seeing that video will be my fix. :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results